This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14152 October 22nd, 2004 at 06:35 PM
D
deb789 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I bought these Mums at a grocery store. They are blooming now. I want to know should i put them in a bigger container. Also when the blooms fade,Do i cut the bud? How far should i cut? Do i add fertilzer? If so! What kind of fertilizer? Does it need shade or sun? How much water? Heres my pic !! [Linked Image]

#14153 October 24th, 2004 at 10:36 AM
N
N
Hi Deb,

Lovely pot of mums!
...should i put them in a bigger container
It's best not to transplant when a plant is in bloom.

...when the blooms fade,Do i cut the bud?
I think you mean the spent flower, not the bud. The bud is an immature flower and will become a flower. You can cut the spent flowers off.

How far should i cut?
You can cut just below the spent flower or to just above a leaf or to a part of the stem where you see a new bud or 'Y' junction of stems.

Do i add fertilzer?
I suspect that there is a timed release fertilizer in the soil and you shouldn't need to add fertilizer, especially at this time of year. You could cause the plant to put out a new flush of growth that won't have time to harden off before a frost.

Does it need shade or sun?
Full sun is best - 6 hours or more.

How much water?
You may need to water every day. The pot size looks small for the size of the plant and I suspect it will dry quickly. Try and stick your finger into the soil up to your first knuckle. If it's dry, water the plant. Let the water run through the holes and don't let it sit in a dish of water for more than an hour. Take a look here.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/Chrysanthemum.htm

Enjoy,
Newt

#14154 October 24th, 2004 at 11:16 PM
D
deb789 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Newt, For all your info you answered all my questions!!

#14155 October 25th, 2004 at 12:06 AM
N
N
Deb,

You are very welcome! Glad I could help.

Newt

#14156 October 26th, 2004 at 05:15 AM
your in TX.
your mums will bloom in may& and again at this time of year.I cut mine back and root the cuttings.I cut back in july& will be cutting back my yellows near end of next month.I just added some compost around them today.& I think I found something sprouting where my burgandy ones may have been(hubby mowed/weedwacked them to ground zero)They are easy plants for TX and once are settled in are drought tolerant.I don't suggest growing them where are in shade.My reds are in shade and are just now blooming& look leggy.they will be moved soon.good luck with your plant.

Link Copied to Clipboard