This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141121 January 20th, 2006 at 07:25 AM
OP Offline
Weezie because (as you know) this is my first compost; I think it's ready to sift cuz' it no longer heats up, it's black/brown & crumbly the only things I see is a lot of leave stems.. It seems it was just a few weeks ago I started it.. I have a metal mesh house filter 16X25 I took the inside out think that will work for a sifter(??) to sift over the wheelbarrow? Oh I hope it's ready clp clp I'm so excited just in time to get my shade beds soil ready..
Is this what it's suppose to look like??
Thanks again for all your help on this...

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
It sounds like you did good..

What I sometimes do for my own bins is...
I take the top of the bin *compost*
and scoop that up.. put it in a bucket or
something.. *usually the very top isn't composted fully yet, and may have some big hunkies in it..*
I take that, set it aside and use it when I start the next bin...

Then take your sifter and start sifting..
*in your wheelbarrow.....*
And if anything that you sift, stays on top..
I also put that in that bucket with the unfinished compost...

That way, for what I use the compost for
*to stretch my seed starting mixes..*
I like it reasonably fine......

When you are done sifting the whole bin..
Take your new stuff to put in, and layer the
green, brown and that un~finished compost..

That way when you get your new stuff into the bin,
and layer that un~finished compost..
IT WILL REALLLLLLLLY GET YOUR NEW COMPOST GOING FAST.. cause it's already half way going and will jump start your other stuff...

Thanks again for all your help on this...

I am absolutely tickled~pink when I hear of people composting, and really enjoying the end results/products...
I could just run my hands thru that stuff for
half a day.. if time would let me...
I just get too excited about compost... thumbup flw flw

Here's a picture of mine...
[Linked Image]

Congratulations on your compost angelblossom!!!!
thumbup thumbup thumbup

OP Offline
Oh Yeah!!!!!

After it's all sifted should I add vermiculite to it and what's the ratio compost to top soil (or any cheap soil will do?) I do have a bags of off brand topsoils and bedding soil. I will sift this week-end tho I'm not planting in shade beds this week end I really want to turn soil and prep it for the next week or so depending on this weird weather.(my garage is full of shade plants ) I just love the angelwing ,little miss mummy, & white ice begonia's. I think they will look good with japanese holly in back of them

Next question,,, unrelated Who is going to help me post pictures>> I'm just going to get a disposable camera have a cd made but I'm soooo computer illiterate I can't even copy and paste
kissies thumbup

JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Diane I will lone you my digital camera if you like. Or call me I can walk you through the scanning into a folder and putting in anonline place like photbucket if you like. Also I have a disposable you can have. Let me know when I can meet you same place I work 4 till midnight friday now also.
Jimmy

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
After it's all sifted should I add vermiculite to it and what's the ratio compost to top soil (or any cheap soil will do?) I do have a bags of off brand topsoils and bedding soil.
What are you using the "Finished Compost" for???

I use mine several ways..
The first, I use for starting seeds..
*** shocked I have to admit I have no idea the ratio...
I have a wheel barrow and judge the heights
on the wheelbarrow...
Half filled with sifted compost, a bag of vermiculite or perlite *to lighten it more*
and I cheat and buy a bag of "seed Starting Mix" and throw that in...

But I'd have to say, 1/3, 1/3, 1/3, I"m not 100% sure, but that's a ball park idea...
*and I start sooooooo many seeds, that I go thru at least 2 wheelbarrows full *between veggies and flowers* but I never measure*

For when I am going to transplant those seedlings, into bigger pots, ** shocked cause I'm always so slow or late or behind in planting, at least the roots can grow a bit more until I get them where I want them???
That'sssssssss when I will use a bag of top soil
in the ratio of 1/3 vermiculite/perlite, 1/3 sifted compost, 1/3 bag of potting soil..

I then use the compost on top and incorporated into the soil when planting..

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Btw weezie when I first found this site I asked about my lambs ears and you were right AGAIN,, they're Baaaaack!
They are a very hardy plant...
*almost weedy at some point some time*

I am very glad I could help...
That's what makes this place sooooo much fun..
IS THE FEED BACK... kissies clp smile shocked

OP Offline
I'll be using the compost for incorporating in the soil for shade beds and tomatoe (s), I already started seeds for moon flower,& hyacinth bean vine when they go outside I want to use for them as well. I imagine the ratio of 3-3-3 would work huh? thumbup flw

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
You've already started the hyacinth bean vine? Hum that means I can start some of mine right? I think it is a facinating plant.

OP Offline
Hey Tk Yep already started H bean vine I really want it to be good size when I take it out so it will just go for it! I've got 6 thats about 4 inches long I love them too!!

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My bean vine died last year..
I have had no luck with that plant at all,
tried them 3 times... eek eek eek

Link Copied to Clipboard