This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141101 January 20th, 2006 at 10:05 AM
OP Offline
So, what combinations of plants/flowers do you use in your containers? Or do you just put one thing in each container? I'm thinking about color combinations....I really like yellows and purples together.

#141102 January 20th, 2006 at 09:21 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi Penny. Well I try to consider 3 things. The height of the plants, their growing requirements, and color. For instance last year I put canna, marigolds (mixed colors) and nastrium all in the same pot.

I had to constantly prune the nastrium because it tried to crowd everything out. And then the canna started multipling and I was running out of room everywhere. lol. So this year I will make sure to use plants that aren't quite as aggressive lol. Also I would stick to annuals since they bloom for longer periods of time and that is something I definitely want in a container plant.

Also consider using some plants that have attractive foliage to cover those periods when the other plants haven't flowered yet.

I would probably be looking at snapdragons, petunias, and celosia. But that's just me. And I am still learning bunches.

#141103 January 20th, 2006 at 11:10 PM
M
M
My favorite combo last year was dark red coleus , pink flowered wax begonias and Pink Splash Hypostes .It got lots of admirers .
A nice yellow and purple combo would be Purple Perilla and Marigolds .
I like to mix houseplants with sultanas and petunias . The tall sansevierias work well as accents .

Marian

#141104 January 21st, 2006 at 12:06 AM
Hi TK wavey I really like your color combo's. thumbup I think i may have to try them
in my containers, since i think flower pots are the way to go in my back yard.
I have always liked the "wave petunias" but the do grow like crazy and have to be pruned alot or unless you like the mess of flowers.
My fav color combos have been purple&yellow, or blue,red&orange. I always try to put lots of marigolds in for texture and color and they are great for keeping mosquitos away p those darn little pests mad they sure know how to ruin a summers night :p
thanks again flw flw
Penny

#141105 January 21st, 2006 at 12:14 AM
R
R
I have a big concrete urn in the middle of my white formal garden that I plant with dumbcane, white/bright green coleus, white impatiens and/or varigated ivy, and a spike plant. The garden is in the shade and there is something so calming about just the green and white combination in a shady garden.
check this out

In the sun I like to combine really bright contrasts. a few containers

I have a digital camera now so I am going to be taking alot more pictures of my containers this year.

#141106 January 21st, 2006 at 12:22 AM
Great pictures of great container gardening, rue!

#141107 January 21st, 2006 at 12:25 AM
R
R
I planted most of the planters last year towards the middle and end of the season. I was so busy working inside!! I hope this year to go CRAZY with a MILLION containers.

One of the dealers that has things in my shop is going to help me plant this year. I can hardly wait!! I guess she has tons of empty containers and old buckets.

I like the idea of using sansevierias in place of the spike plant, sometimes the spike plant just isn't that strong of a statement. I am going to steal that idea for multi-greens container.

#141108 January 21st, 2006 at 12:30 AM
Hi Rue wavey the pictures of your garden are beautiful muggs Penny

#141109 January 21st, 2006 at 01:01 AM
R
R
Thanks plants 'n pots!

I went to Heartland growers a wholesaler on the north side of Indianapolis Monday to buy house plants and see how they ran their operation.

I will be buying a lot of annuals from them for the shop.

After snowing the other day it is back up to around 50, this weather is really teasing me!!

#141110 January 21st, 2006 at 01:05 AM
R
R
And thnk you penny in ontario!!

LOL! I start a reply, then a customer comes in and I stop, when I get back I really need to update my page before I reply.

One year I planted sempervivums in a chair, it turned out nice, but the chairs don't last. I have a metal one that I am going to try this year.

#141111 January 21st, 2006 at 01:44 AM
Hi Rue, i have never heard of semperviviums but i have added them to my list of plants to check out for this summer. thumbup
have a great weekend!!!!
Penny

Link Copied to Clipboard