This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#140995 June 30th, 2006 at 03:18 AM
M
Maria K Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi,
I'm planning on making a quilt for my daughter where all of her childhood t-shirts (t-ball, camp, school, etc...) would have the actual shirt design cut out; then quilted together with different fabrics. It would be a graduation gift (so she could take it to college and lose it).
Does anyone know if a non-seamstress could start on this (me). Could one hand sew the pieces together; then have an expert do the actual quilting? She's just in 4th, and I'm keeping a collection of those tshirts in a box as she outgrows them.
Any experience out there? Thanks.

#140996 June 30th, 2006 at 03:37 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
The only experience I've had is when I was 20 years old I made a huge quilt. That's the first and last one I ever made.
I think that's what drove me crazy. nutz

#140997 June 30th, 2006 at 05:04 AM
K
K
I'm saving my deceased father's ties for someone to make me a quilt. Someone I worked with had one made and was really pretty.

#140998 July 15th, 2006 at 02:19 PM
G
G
There are professional quilters that will quilt it for you, but I don't know how you would contact them. Maybe try the ads in the back of a quilting magazine.

#140999 July 15th, 2006 at 10:28 PM
Etsy.com has a section called alchemy where you can post what you want done, when the top is ready, I'm sure you can find a finisher there.
Maybe ask on a quilting site or etsys forum too about hand sewing the top. i'd think you can, but I'm not sure for sure.

#141000 July 16th, 2006 at 02:48 AM
Maria, it's never too late to learn. Buy yourself a 'quilting for beginners' book. You have alot of years ahead of you to learn. I first started off with baby quilts, then on to the larger ones. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be a quilting queen.

I'm going to check to see if I have a pattern for what you want. I understand that the little quilt blocks would have the mini t-shirts stitched into them? Then the blocks would be sewn together to make the quilt? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

#141001 July 17th, 2006 at 05:04 AM
Maria, My mother just started quilting a few years ago. She found a local group that teaches and one of the members also does the quilting after the top is put together.

#141002 July 19th, 2006 at 08:03 AM
Maria, I'm a quilter. And when I call myself a quilter, what I mean is that I sew quilt tops. I've never actually quilted one; I always hire that out. There are people everywhere who will quilt your quilt for you once the top is done. Your best bet is to ask at a local quilt shop, they will have a list of people with the long-arm machine necessary to do the job. Depending on how big the quilt is, the price can range from $50 to $300. Or so. It also depends on the kind of quilting you want done.

Now. About this t-shirt quilt. Yes, it can be done. And it can be done by a novice. But the thing is, with t-shirts, is that they are on knit fabric so they are intrinsically very hard to work with. My mom (also a quilter) made one for her sister and I believe that what she did was iron the graphic she wanted to save from each t-shirt onto some stablizing medium. There are several different kinds available.

This link discusses the various types of stablizers available if you want to embroider on t-shirts; your quilt is a similar concept.

About different kinds of stabilizers.

You'll want to find a way to keep the knit fabric from stretching as you sew the t-shirts into "blocks." I'd recommend using some kind of sashing between the blocks--a thin piece of coordinating fabric to sew your t-shirts to so that each is framed by it.

It's definitely not the easiest project to start with but it's not impossible. Good Luck!! flw A t-shirt quilt is always so very very special because all the t-shirts give it special meaning to the recipient. luv

#141003 July 20th, 2006 at 01:32 PM
Oh, Oh, I almost forgot about meetup.com/browse
Its a site where you find people with the same interest as you in your area. LIke birdwatching, crocheting, QUILTING check it out! grinnnn

#141004 July 23rd, 2006 at 09:19 AM
I think saving your daughter's t-shirts is a wonderful idea. I wish I had thought of it when my kids were younger!

When my son was in high school he was on the football and wrestling teams. Needless to say he had a lot of t-shirts! At the end of his senior year a very nice lady, who had a grandson on the wrestling team, made all of the senior wrestlers a t-shirt quilt.

My son's t-shirts were all very large and he ended up with a king size quilt! He's 22 years old now and that quilt is one of his prize possessions.

I have just begun quilting and Stuspot is right. Any quilt shop, and some fabric shops, will be able you put you in touch with a quilter.
Quilt shops are good places to get advice on the best way to handle your particular fabric also.

#141005 July 23rd, 2006 at 09:46 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I love the tie idea. I don't mind doing the quilting but that finished edge is a killer for me. I'm not that good at blind stitch. I'm going to have to talk to my church ladies and see about ties for one of those quilts. It sounds like a marvelous idea.

Can you please give details?

#141006 July 28th, 2006 at 01:19 PM
Another place to find help with the quilting and maybe even the pieces...Check with your local senior centers, they usually have a group of quilters or can proable tell you who to contact.

#141007 November 13th, 2006 at 12:58 AM
D
D
i have saved some clothes and tshirts too. but so far they are just collecting dust. i did go through some and cut out a large square of the front design and then threw the rest away to save space.. maybe one of these days.......i might actually get it done!!!

#141008 November 13th, 2006 at 03:05 AM
TK, the binding is my FAVORITE part!!! I'm really good at the blind stitch. It usually takes me a bit of time tho, because my stitching is really small...apparently that's good, but it takes a long time. I do bindings for people whenever I can. I LOVE it! laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard