This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#140563 January 5th, 2006 at 01:28 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everybody ~ wavey

I thought if we had a specific thread, we could all post our ideas for her...

Merme

#140564 January 5th, 2006 at 01:33 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Pina Colada Punch (non-alchoholic)

Ingredients:
2 cans frozen lemonade concentrate
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
8 oz bag shredded coconut

Directions:

The night before...
Put the 2 cans lemonade concentrate in a pitcher with ONE-HALF the recommended amount of water.
Add the entire bag of shredded coconut.
Allow to steep in the fridge over night.

The day of...
Strain coconut out of juice mixture.
Pour juice into punch bowl.
Add some ice.
Add 1/2 gallon of ice cream.

Serve! Yummy!

Also, if you do not have a punch bowl, or do not want to make so much all at once, you can simply pour the juice mixture into tall glasses and add single scoops of the ice cream.

Merme

#140565 January 5th, 2006 at 01:51 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Roast a suckling pig....

#140566 January 5th, 2006 at 01:56 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Roast a suckling pig....
What the HELL is that? shk

...that just don't sound "right"..... nutz lala

#140567 January 5th, 2006 at 01:57 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
...i need to google "suckling", don't I? laugh shocked nutz

#140568 January 5th, 2006 at 01:57 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
G-mom ~

I know a guy, one of three brothers, born and raised in ME who INSISTS you can't possibly have a Superbowl party without this...

Ingredients:
One big head of cabbage
Aluminum Foil
Toothpicks
Wedges of cut salami
Wedges of cut cheese.

Directions:
Wrap the cabbage with the aluminum foil to make a pretty ball. Skewer the wedges of salami and cheese with the toothpicks and then stick them into the ball, so it looks all porcupine spikey.

Don't ask me why these guys think this is a Superbowl "MUST", but they do. And Superbowl 1995, I did it for 'em, as odd as it seemed to me at the time!

Merme

#140569 January 5th, 2006 at 02:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'd do suggestions but we always just order a pizza..... laugh

I went to a pig roast once....as much as I love to eat bacon and ham it was sort of weird to see a whole pig cooking and knowing that you are going to eat it.....

#140570 January 5th, 2006 at 02:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The punch sounds really good,Merme. I bet the kids would love it. I could probably color it for the team we're cheering on thumbup

Where would i get a suckling pig and how would I cook it? I like to try new stuff and that sounds very intersting!

I like the idea of an hor-durvie holder made out of a head of cabbage. I plan on having meats and cheeses and that would look nicer than just having it on a tray thumbup

I KNOW I'll be smoking a big ole piece of Salmon...hint,hint,Cindy smile

#140571 January 5th, 2006 at 02:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
By the way...thanks for starting this topic,Merme!

#140572 January 5th, 2006 at 02:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'd like to have some games with door prizes too if any of ya'll can think of some thumbup

#140573 January 5th, 2006 at 04:32 AM
merme,

here s something that saves you work.

ask everyone to bring something and kake like a buffet out of it,may sound a bit cheap but give out plastic utensil and plates.

that s what we do at sbowl parties over here.

#140574 January 5th, 2006 at 04:35 AM
one year we of course did a pole(sory its promnouce pool i think,me french,hey!),but instead of one winner for thwhole game ,twoold be one per innings,don t know how it s call in ftball,i think quarts....anywho,like that more people would win,less but they d win something at least.

#140575 January 5th, 2006 at 05:53 AM
In my experience with Superbowl parties..the only "games" that flew were bettin' on the teams, the scores...points after the first quarter, second quarter, who will get a touchdown, etc, etc....oh Superbowl parties are so much fun..I just can't wait. Here is a recipe that gets gobbled town before I can even place it on the coffee table infront of the gang. Good luck and have fun!!

HOT CORN DIP
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 1/2 cups corn kernels (from 4 ears fresh white or yellow corn)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped green onions (green and white parts)
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 to 1 cup mayonnaise
4 ounces monterey jack or cheddar, shredded
4 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Tortilla chips, for dipping

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the kernels turn deep golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the skillet. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until the onions are wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the green onions, jalapeno, and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened. Transfer to the bowl with the corn. Add the mayonnaise, 1/2 of the monterey jack and half of the cheddar, and the cayenne and mix well. Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve hot with the chips.

#140576 January 5th, 2006 at 06:14 AM
Clam Dip. I can get you the recipe if ya like.

Best dressed in all out sports attire. best painted for team color. Person who brings the most bottles of booze laugh

#140577 January 5th, 2006 at 06:45 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Originally posted by afgreyparrot:
Roast a suckling pig....
What the HELL is that?

...that just don't sound "right"..... nutz
A baby pig is a piglet...
[Linked Image]

Up until the time it quits nursing, it is a suckling pig. (25-30 pound)
Would feed about a dozen and would fit on a large barbeque.

At about 7-8 weeks it becomes a weiner pig.
Feed it corn for 2 weeks and put it on a spit to feed 50....
[Linked Image]

If after 9-10 weeks, you can't bear to eat Petunia you can continue to feed her until her 6 month birthday at which time, she will have bit you several times, ,stomped on you, knocked you flat in the piggypoo corner way to many times, broken down the fence and destroyed your garden 4 times, and ran away down the road (ever try to herd a pig?) frown
At this age, they weigh about 350# and are mean and nasty animals and you REALLY REALLY don't like them anymore mad
At the ripe age of 6 months they become hogs.... or more appropriately.... bacon!

[Linked Image]

GardenMom... until you have tasted a slow roasted pig, you have no idea of how gooooood pork can taste! Up here you can find people who will come to you with the equipment and roaster and do the whole chore for you in the yellow pages... not sure what you'd look under tho... [Linked Image]

#140578 January 5th, 2006 at 06:50 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
BEER!!!

#140579 January 5th, 2006 at 06:51 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Biil, when I was a kid my family lived for one full year and a bit on a working pig farm. Those animals are NOT nice creatures! Not nice at all.

But yummy enough on the plate!

Merme

#140580 January 5th, 2006 at 06:59 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
I raised 3-5 (corn and milk and beer fed) a year for 12 years and people couldn't understand how I could butcher them... but by that age they are MEAN, and the older they get, the meaner they are....
I hired the butchers to do everything beyond the pigs last meal. I could't do that....

The three in the middle pix were Ham, Sausage and Bacon. The big Sow was Petunia laugh

#140581 January 5th, 2006 at 07:21 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
I could understand why an animal could be mean to a human, but I could never understand how or why they could be so MEAN to each other!

When I lived in Switzerland, they had a hog slaughter day each year, down in the village. They made it a community effort... people would drive their pigs to where it had all been set up for the slaughter and the dressing of the meat, big pots boiling, and they'd just get it done in one day, working together. It was a bit daunting to see if you were at all squeamish, but cleverly done with all the farmers helping one another over a tough task.

Merme

#140582 January 5th, 2006 at 07:27 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Up until the time it quits nursing, it is a suckling pig.
shk
No way I could eat that if I knew what I was eatin'.
...and especially seeing it cooking.

#140583 January 5th, 2006 at 07:32 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Don't look then.... just wait for the aroma to overwhelm you and pig out! grinnnn

#140584 January 5th, 2006 at 07:40 AM
I couldn't eat it either...but that's really not near as sad as how "Fois Gras" is produced! Is anyone familiar with that? What a shame!
Christina

#140585 January 5th, 2006 at 07:43 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Uhhh...is that gonna make me cry, Christina? shocked

#140586 January 5th, 2006 at 07:48 AM
Up until last night, I had no idea what Fois Gras was...so I googled it. I don't even think I want to describe it on here....it's simply terrible!

#140587 January 5th, 2006 at 07:53 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
OMG...I googled it. ters

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard