This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#139837 April 22nd, 2005 at 07:23 AM
S
Sammy05 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi,
We have about 6 gardenia plants. They were here when we moved in last year. They were very green and healthy looking with lots of flowers. This year they are starting to get yellow and looking like they are dieing. Can anybody suggest a quick revival majic trick before they die. They are about 3 of more feet tall.
Thanks a lot

S
S
Hi, Sammy! The leaves could be yellowing for any number of reasons. Lack of water, too much water, and it may need a feeding. Some people give theirs coffee and coffee grounds (I did-it worked), and I've also read that giving it some iron might help...? Duh nutz

Here's a link with photos showing different symptoms of nutrient deficiency. There are subtle visual differences in how a leaf "yellows" and if you look closely you may be able to pinpoint the exact reason.

http://www.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=t&id=289

I'm thinking the coffee grounds work because they are acidic and gardenias like an acid soil???

S
Sammy05 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the reply. I tried to find "acid forming fertilizer" at the local home depot but they didn't know what I was talking about. I checked their fertilizers but found nothing about acid at all. Where can I buy such a fertilizer?
Would anyone know?
I'll try the coffee thing.
Thanks

Hi Sammy. I see you posted your query again in the plants and flowers forum.

Did you look at the website i suggested in my previous post? Click on the link and see if you can tell exactly which photograph depicts similar yellowing in your leaves. Believe it or not there are different ways a plant can "go yellow" and different reasons for the symptoms. The photos may help.

Regarding an acidizing fertiliser, there's a couple of things you should know.

The term "acid" or conversely "alkaline" are used to describe the Ph of soil. Ph is measured on a scale of 1 to 14. 1 being acid and 14 being alkaline and 7 being neutral. If the Ph is out of balance then plants have difficulty in absorbing required nutrients through their root systems. Even though those nutrients may be in the soil, the conditions may not be ideal for the root system to work properly.
Most plants (and this is very general) like a slightly acid soil. ie a Ph of just under 7 say about 6 to 6 1/2. Gardenias are an exeption, as are azaleas. They like a Ph of less than 6, in other words, more acid soil.
A Ph test kit is very cheap, say around $10 and takes a lot of the guesswork out of gardening. They last for many years. Can you buy or borrow one? They're very simple and safe to use.
Check the Ph. If it requires souring (making more acid) then one way is to mulch your plants with pine needles. These are acidic by nature. I imagine coffee grounds are similar in this respect. However, we're not sure if it is the Ph which is the problem or not until you check the soil. So while corrective suggestions may work, they may do more harm if they're not the right suggestion.

Sorry if this sounds all too hard or is more information than you wanted.
Can any other gardeners suggest the acidity or makeup of soils in Southern california? Is it limestone base under sand for example?

S
Sammy05 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Longy,
Thanks for the detailed information (very helpfull). I'll get the kit and test the soil first.
Sammy

M
M
I have a gardenia plant that is healthy covered with buds. It has put up several shoots from one of the branches that has thorns and the leaves a at least 4 timen larger than the regular leaf ... whaT IS IT DOING?
Thanks
Marilyn s.

Marilyn, I think you've got something else growing there too.

Link Copied to Clipboard