This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13956 July 26th, 2004 at 02:57 AM
C
Cruzer Offline OP
OP Offline
C
The subject line says it all. Every week I see 4 or 5 lemons under the tree with no peels on them.
No Peels anywhere! I have had this lemon tree for 10 years and I have never seen this.

Yesterday I also found a half eatin green tomato.
Here I saw what looked like bite marks on the edge of it, The Lemons are under the tree but the Tomato was about 10 feet from the plant.

What do you think it is?

If anyone has any ideas please reply or email me.
at Cruzer@pacbell.net

Thanks

#13957 July 26th, 2004 at 06:51 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Cruzer,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!!
We are very glad you found us!!!

I am not too sure which bite marks they could be??

A picture would be a GREAT HELP!!
If no picture a little more discribing on the bite mark!! Small, large, deep, several or just one?????

Papito usually is our citris guy, he may know,
he's from your state too, hopefully he'll be coming thru shortly, in the meantime, read some good reading info here on the garden helper!!!
But there is several gardener's that may also help you along your path as well!!!

Weezie

#13958 July 28th, 2004 at 02:42 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Cruzer.....my parents had a couple lemon trees for about 35 years and I have had mine for 2 and half years and yet to have that problem....I have seen snails and slugs on mine but they just crawl right over the surface.

A tomato worm will eat your tomatoes....have you seen any? Their will be brown droppings on the ground where they have been going at it.....as well as eaten leaves....and their droppings have a very distinquishing smell....I can just walk by a bush and smell them. Duh Would a tomato worm eat a lemon peel???? Never heard of it before.

At least in Fallbrook I am running into more grasshoppers this year....not only the brown ones but those little green guys. Would they eat lemon peels??? Duh

Where is Papito....he is our citrus guy!!!
Ohhhhhhh Papito where arrrrrrre youuuuuu!!! Any clues? Duh
Duh

#13959 July 28th, 2004 at 05:30 PM
Box turtles? I know they eat tomatos. I'm not sure about the lemon peel thing. Just a guess.

#13960 July 30th, 2004 at 06:32 PM
P
P
These links might help identify the cause of the problem:

Snail Damage to Citrus

more info on

Snails & Slugs

#13961 July 31st, 2004 at 01:37 AM
C
Cruzer Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the info,

I checked the snail and slug links and its not that. As for what it looks like well picture a lemon after you peel it. The lemon is sitting in the shade under the tree still intact the whole peel is missing.

What ever it is it got another tomato yesterday. This one was ripe. Again the tomoto was about 10 feet from the plant, A afternoon shady spot in the yard. The bite marks look like the jaws are about 1/2 inch wide. A friend sugguested a racoon may be the culprit. I havent seen any droppings.
What do you think?

Thanks

#13962 July 31st, 2004 at 04:39 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Cruzer...you sure got me stumped! I don't know what kind of animal could stand the sour~ness of a lemon.

Are all the lemons that "it" gets laying on the ground when eaten...or are they eaten in the tree and then fall?

You sure you don't have tomato worms....they will gobble half a green tomato overnight as well as leaves.

Coons would have a bigger bite size than 1/2", and I haven't seen tomato worms eat red tomatoes.
How about birds going after the tomato????

Grasshoppers, tomato worms, coons, skunks, squirrels, birds, snails, slugs?????? Duh
Anybody else have a wild stab....remember Cruzer lives in California!

Puzzled Catlover

#13963 July 31st, 2004 at 04:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
tree rats (and possums) love citrus fruit almost as much as we do. But apparently they don't like the tart flesh of the fruit--just the sweet peel.

Could this be it?

Karen grinnnn

#13964 July 31st, 2004 at 06:48 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Oh yeah I forgot about those tree rats and possums Karen....those tree rats used to go after our avocadoes!!! If you have palm trees anywhere around you....you will have a nest of them in the tree and need to remove the old frones(sp?). Or if you have an old wood pile....they bury under and nest. We had both problems to deal with.

We used to have a sliding glass door and watch the possums cross our deck each evening with babies attached to them....memories. Duh kit

Link Copied to Clipboard