This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
My garden has done soooo well, (all three veggie varieties) that I have decided to bring as much as I can to the local community center and donate as much as they are willing to take off my hands. I can't stand the thought of it going to waste when there are hungry people even here in rural Iowa. I think back at the tough times we've had when fresh veggies were a scarce commodity, and we found ourselves at the community food bank. I realized that it took a while, but now it's my turn to give back. That feels soooo gooood...and that alone makes all the triumphs and tribulations of this first ever garden of mine worth every bug bite and blister.
Wow! You're an angel! kissies
Your garden looks fantastic!! And I REALLY enjoyed reading these posts...still can't understand how I missed this one...I usually follow Comfrey around...I'm her stalker. laugh

[Linked Image]

Great Job Connie!!!!!! thumbup thumbup thumbup Congratulations on your first successful garden!!!!!! flw flw flw

Originally posted by ChristinaC:
...I usually follow Comfrey around...I'm her stalker. laugh
p

OP Offline
Actually, I don't know what happened...or didn't happen to that poor little pine. It's in the front yard in between a huge cedar and a silver maple...and nothing else in the yard dried up and died. Now those petunias on my porch....that's another story. They got forgotten about...we don't use that door often, and, well, out of sight out of mind, I guess. Next year, they'll survive. I felt so bad when I saw that!!!

I have done the same thing. Put some stuff on the back porch that I NEVER use and it was toast. I felt really bad as well.

OP Offline
Well...I think it's getting to be that time of year. My tomatoes have alot of green fruit, but by the time it ripens, it rots...haven't quite figured that one out yet...but I will. The cukes and squash have finally slowed. The corn is doomed...a fungus has exploded the kernels on several ears, and what the fungus didn't get, the ants and worms did...made me very sad.

Looking back on this summer's garden, I have figured out changes and additions for next year. A chicken wire fence for sure...more stakes for the tomato plants...Lesson #10...can't have too many tomato stakes...more corn...less cucumbers...less squash...Lesson #11...cutting vines and growth from over-abundant plants is NOT a crime against humanity.

All in all...my first garden was a GREAT experience...maneating cucumbers and all! But...

Next years garden will be better.

Thats what its all about Connie, each year we figure out how we can improve next year, I've been gardening for many years and each year I do something different hoping to improve the over all garden and production of things. You have down great this year, So you have alot to look forward to next year.

OP Offline
I think I've had a wonderful idea for next years garden...

I was thinking of several raised beds/boxes to make a border to the garden. In those boxes, have the beans, peppers, peas...anything that the rabbits would eat like they did this year. That would eliminate the need for the chicken wire. That would also allow me to spread things out a bit...give the tomatoes more room...

What do you all think of this idea?

Sounds like a great idea!

If you look in my PB Connie...i have raised flower beds...now I'm sure that you dont want to go that high..I'm 5 foot 2 and they come to my waist, but its keeps the critters out!!

OP Offline
Very Nice Penny! That's just about what I had in mind. Of course, Rick being the practical person that he is, totalled up the estimated cost of treated lumber for my idea...versus the estimated cost of chicken wire and re-bar...some days, I tell ya...I'm gonna have to kick his butt...

...okay, that probably wouldn't be such a good idea...so I'll just have to explain to him the added discount of making his wife happy with the raised boxes...compared to the price he'll have to pay if he gives me chicken wire...lol

Raised beds would be nice. For me it would not be practical, the deer, cats, dogs & chickens could get into them easier, then having a fence all the way around. And having raised beds means more hand work or..in other words...no room to use a tiller, but if you mulch around your plants and or cover them during winter, then weed filled beds would not be a problem and no need to till anything anyway. I would like to have some raised flower & herb beds though.

OP Offline
Let me play around with it for a couple of days. I'll see if I can create what's in my head in Illustrator. (okay...insanity is NOT what I need to create...lol!!) I'll post it if it works! I don't necessarily want a completely enclosed garden...just a border on one side, or maybe a broken border all the way around...oh, so many thoughts...so little time!!!

Oh I see...the raised beds would be the border around the garden area.?????

OP Offline
Ahh...well, now that I'm back from my trip away from it all...

As I hacked my way through that jungle that used to be my garden, I've found that my corn has been gobbled up by none other than...everything. Those poor, defenseless kernels didn't stand a chance against the fungus that made them turn black and explode, or the raccoons that ate what the worms and ants left behind...a moment of silence is in order...

I have had a blast with this garden...and I will be sad to see it wither with the coming change of season. I put my thoughts of a fall veggie garden on hold while I try to put in order the rest of my...oh, what's the word I want...life, outside of my garden. All of the excitement of digging and planting...the anticipation of what will be as I watched everything grow...stifling the impatience of having to wait until it's ripe...

I CAN'T WAIT TIL NEXT spring!!!

Next spring you will be ahead of everything..you have all winter to plan for your next garden, what to plant and when how to improve and change things to suit you better, and maybe be better equiped to get started. Congratulations on a job well done!!!! I have been trying to clean the weeds out of mine, it is such a slow process, pulling out all those tall weeds by hand, so that I preppare the soil for winter and then spring planting.

OP Offline
I am putting together a small cookbook over the next few months, and gathering info on the many local farmers markets around here, so that next spring, I can put my extremely fertile soil to good use. I've got ideas and ideas swimming around in my head...hopefully not many of them will drown...lol

muggs Party time, I got the first third of the garden completely cleaned up down to the bare dirt and even tilled it after all the weeds and grass was removed by me, by hand...Now to get the other two thirds done....I'm taking a couple of days off before I start the next section. laugh laugh laugh

OP Offline
As the summer winds to a cool and rainy halt, and fall takes its place, I think this will be my last entry in this post. My garden has yielded the last of its wonderful fruits, and even my neighbors and community members have reaped its rewards. Next spring will come way too soon...I know that from past experience, whether with a garden or not. I am alive with anticipation...already planning the next great adventure into

Gardening...The Thrill of Victory...The Agony of Defeat

Til next spring.... smile

OP Offline
Okay...I fibbed!!

I got a tiller!...I got a tiller!...

It's big and red and rear tined and self propelled and oh, boy....Connie's happy!!!

I bet you are happy. A tiller is a way cool thing to get, especially in the fall when those gardens could use a good tilling.

I know how you must feel Connie...We got our's at the start of the season and it's great not having to borrow one, and tilling when you want to!!! Congratulations!

OP Offline
My husband's boss GAVE it to him...in exchange for some of my big, juicy, orange, meaty tomatoes!!! Free!! Used ONCE....! And it's a Yardman....

parte parte parte

...it's ma birthday...it's ma birthday...got a tiller...gonna party...like it's ma birthday...lol

I'm really not that excited about it...can ya tell?? smile

Hey Connie that is a great deal!!!! I believe we have the same tiller you have.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard