This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#138861 June 17th, 2006 at 04:18 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I have several patterns for crochet towel toppers, but have absolutely no idea how to evenly space the holes for the first row of stitches.

Please help!

Thank you.

#138862 June 17th, 2006 at 05:23 PM
Sweetbertie ~ your pattern should tell you in the section on "Preparing the towel". Do your patterns call for SEWING on the first row of yarn with a yarn needle using a blanket stitch, like this:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
| | | | | | | |

OR does it tell you to "evenly space" a row of single crochet and give an indication of how many stitches to use? Such as "evenly space 60 sc".

Either way, it will be inexact -- just eye it as carefully as possible and if you aren't at 1/4th of the stitches you need by the time you hit the 1/4th mark across the towel, then you need to make an adjustment... more or less depending on how you are doing it.

Make sense?

Merme

#138863 June 29th, 2006 at 04:35 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi Merme,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I have been away from the computer for a couple of weeks due to ill health, and could not reply earlier.

The towel topper pattern says to evenly space 66 single crochet across top of towel. I thought it had to be exact. I read somewhere that you can use a sewing machine without thread to make evenly spaced holes in towels. It sounds like a good idea.

Anyhow, thanks again for your help.

Chris

#138864 July 5th, 2006 at 01:56 AM
Chris ~ to use a sewing machine to predrill the holes you would have to be really good at knowing your machine's stitch spacing capabilities. Most ordinary settings would give you far too many holes for the standard 60 to 66 sc across the top of the towel.

You'd have to measure across the width you wanted to crochet, figure out how many holes per inch, and then find a setting on your machine to do that.

It would be very accurate, but hugely time consuming!

I hope you will post a photo or two when you complete the project!

Merme

#138865 July 21st, 2006 at 06:47 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi Merme,

Sorry again for the late reply as I had internet problems. You are right about using the sewing machine for making holes. I am sure it would be a big hassle.

As for making the towel toppers, I have to leave them for the time being as my niece is expecting a baby in the New Year, and so I was roped into crocheting a baby blanket! I hope I go okay as it looks a bit complicated, and it has been a while since I crocheted.
Thanks again for your advice.

Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard