This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13704 May 24th, 2004 at 07:17 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Two questions:
Can I use peat as a mulch on a newly seeded lawn (that is on a steep slope) until the grass becomes established?

Is there any "best" way (no chemicals) to get rid of/control creeping buttercup before it takes over the entire lawn?

#13705 May 24th, 2004 at 07:53 PM
I can answer one of your questions... yes, you should be able to use peat moss as a mulch for your new grass. Put a good layer of it on there, keep it moist and it should work fine. Hopefully you won't get a heavy rain that will wash the seeds and everything back down the slope. wink

#13706 May 26th, 2004 at 11:25 PM
P
P
Creeping Buttercup (RANUNCULUS repens), is a broadleaf perennial that reproduces by seed and by rooting at the nodes of creeping stems.

This is from the Western Garden Book:

It will be a lot of work if you don't want to use chemicals. In lawns, dig up creeping buttercup, roots and all or cut the tops of the plant repeatedly until the roots stop resprouting. Improve drainage. Creeping buttercupm likes moist soil and will perpetually flourish. If improving drainage is not possible, consider planting a ground cover that is tolerant of damp soils instead of trying to grow lawn grass.( a little bit harsh don't you think?)

#13707 May 27th, 2004 at 06:45 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks papito.
I know all about Ranunculus repens and its "take over" habit. I just wondered if there was a "quick fix" way to control it other than chemicals. Guess not.
I do like the idea of using a ground cover other than boring old lawn grass, unfortunately it's not my lawn to make that decision. I'm just the labourer you might say.

Link Copied to Clipboard