This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#136080 August 16th, 2006 at 02:16 AM
chilady Offline OP
OP Offline
HI I just had to see if there were anyone like me on here. I grew up with horses all my life. Well until the last 3 years that is. We had Arabians, and then a family friend introduced me to Appaloosas. I got my first Appy when I was 13. She was born on our friends farm. He saw how taken I was with her, and gave her to me for my B-Day. I can't tell you how great it was to get the chance to train her the way I wanted to do. I had her for 16 years, she was the best horse I have ever had. And I have had a few. They all got sold some where down the line. But Joy, she stayed with me until she passed away. I miss her so very much. We didn't expect her to die, and it was one of the worse things that has ever happen to me. I went out the night before, (I had her at a boarding stable) to check up on her. She was 2 weeks away from having her foal. She was so healthy, we never had any problems with her. When our mares get this close, we always keep a watch on them. But Joy was known for coming right on time, if not a few days over. She ate her feed the night before, and then tried to steal some of the other mares feed. I brushed her out, and lunged her a bit. Just to see how well she was moving. Nothing showed that she was having any problems. The next day, I got a call. She had died in the night, the vet thought it was complications with how big the foal was. I have as yet to get another horse. I am looking at some horses, but it would have to be something real special to catch my eye. I was thinking about getting into paints. But I think I just might stick with my beloved Appys. What about any one else, do you have any stories to tell about your horses? I would love to hear from you. And any pictures you have would be great to see also. I love pictures.
web page

This is one of my mare Joy. I don't know if you will be able to see it very well.

web page

This is one of our foals, she wasn't out of my Joy. But she was still a very pretty little thing.

#136081 August 16th, 2006 at 06:54 AM
W
W
I am so, so sorry about the loss of your Joy. I haven't lost a mare to foaling, but I did lose my George, a donkey, when we had him gelded. He just kept bleeding, and then later the vet came back out, and was giving him something to help stop the bleeding, and he started to shake and quiver all over, so she stopped because we thought he might be allergic to the stuff. I checked him about an hour later, and he had died. I was so heartbroken. I'm still heartbroken, and it's been 2 years.

I've loved horsed since I was a small child. I never had the opportunity to own one until about 3 or 4 years ago. We bought a Tenn. Walker for our daughter. He was about 12 or so, and very gentle, anyone could ride him. He was 1st, then a quarter horse, then my Jenny (the donkey-mother of George)- she's out of the wild horse adoption program, next is my brother-in-laws Arabian - she's probably 4 or so, and we can't do anything with her at all. She's very jealous of everybody, and will turn her tail to you in a heartbeat, she also strikes at you with her front feet, if she gets a notion. Then we got Dulci - she's an Arabian/walker cross, her son also came with her. We were given a big thorobred gelding who was in a neighbors barn fire. We took care of him while the neighbor was in the hospital, and when she got home, she gave him to us. He was burned pretty badly, but looks pretty good now. The most recent purchase was Jackson - a Jack- to breed my Jenny too. She should be due sometime between now and the end of Sept. I can't wait. I'm so excited!! flw flw flw Didn't mean to take up so much room, but we have a lot of equine animals.

#136082 August 17th, 2006 at 12:45 AM
chilady Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow it seems your making up for lost time. LOL My husband freaks out when I tell him I want at least 2 horses. He already calls the animals I have a zoo. And I only have 2 cats 2 chi dogs and 1 beta fish. Wait until I get my farm, I want 2 horses, 2 milk cows, a bunch of chickens. Oh and maybe some sheep. Brad my husband wants some pigs too. Don't know why, I can't stand their smell. We had some when we were kids. Now that was a strange experience. LOL
As for Joy, she was the best horse I ever had. They don't get any better then she was. But I am ready now to get another. I just don't know where I will put her. We don't own any land right now. I am sorry to hear about your George. That seems strange that he would die like that. Did the vet tell you what exactly he died from? Did he loose too much blood? I mean you would think the vet would see all the blood and think. Wow this guy needs some help. Sorry don't mean to bring up any more bad memories. Just curious is all. So with your horses do you go on any trail rides with them? I think that is what I like best about having a horse. Just tacking up, and a bunch of friends going trail riding. Though ya know I have never really done that. I have had one or two friends, that were forced to go riding with me. LOL I have never had horse nutty friends. I find that strange too, because you hear all the time about horse crazy girls. And I was the only one in my area. Oh well I will have to fix that, and try and join some group down here in KY. Well better get back to work. God bless and thanks for sharing your story with me.

#136083 August 20th, 2006 at 01:32 PM
my friend Dixie has horses. This is Dakota Dancer, born this spring. His daddy is a paint.
[Linked Image]
My dad had horses growing up. He loved Appys too.

#136084 August 20th, 2006 at 01:40 PM
Beautiful horses! When I was a kid, a friend of ours had one I was able to ride all of the time but never had one of my own. Also had my worst accident ever on a horse that threw me and ended up with a major broken leg, buncha busted ribs and bruised from head to toe. Still would love to own one someday.

#136085 August 20th, 2006 at 03:29 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I have owned two Quarter horse mares, and an Appaloosa Stallion named joe in my life. I have also boarded dozens of other horses fro friends and family and kept a herd of goats to keep the horses company. My Appaloosa Stallion was named joe and would follow me everywhere. When I sat down on the ground he would flop down beside me and let me use his tummy for a backrest. He and I would go skinny dipping together in my lake. He was one of the best horse I've ever seen anywhere, and he sired several BEAUTIFUL Appaloosa foals. His main mates were two Appaloosa mares he shared a pasture with on my friend's farm next to mine. He sired three or four foals off of each of them. Currently the only animal I own is a black, male Lop-eared rabbit named Two Bean Bags.

#136086 August 21st, 2006 at 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Triss:
Also had my worst accident ever on a horse that threw me and ended up with a major broken leg, buncha busted ribs and bruised from head to toe.
OWIE!
Dad was riding, I'm pretty sure in Nebraska, a few miles from home. His horse got spooked, reared, threw him in a mud wasp nest and bolted. Good thing he wasnt allergic. Got stung all over. Had to walk home. (owie)

#136087 August 21st, 2006 at 09:33 AM
Oh that does sound painful! Mine happened ont he 4th of July and fireworks spooked him. I was so glad I had not yet started giving the younger kids who were there rides. It was bad enough me getting hurt.

#136088 August 21st, 2006 at 10:53 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I got thrown by a horse that then proceeded to stomp me in the head with his full weight. I had to get 30 stiches in my lower lip and had a mild skull fracture (OH! shk That's what's the matter with me!) Put me in the hospital. I was supposed to get drafted the next day but they didn't take me until a year after that, during which time I met, courted, and married my wife of 34 years. I always did REALLY like that horse after that.

#136089 August 24th, 2006 at 11:37 AM
I had 3 horses ........
One quarter horse
it was that pretty red we called her Ginger.
Tan Buckskin smaller horse called her Bucky.
And a smaller horse that never grew , black and a little meanie......

We sold that meanie cause she went around biting every cow and horse here.......People too.

The others we had about 15 years till they died. I rode until i discovered the ATV sport.
However I really like the Horses.......

My daddy had 2 work horses which I drove as a team as a child.

dodge luv luv luv

#136090 September 15th, 2006 at 06:26 AM
hmmm I got stories too, lol!

Lorena

#136091 September 27th, 2006 at 05:35 AM
thumbup Love horses, never had one of my own. but have rode, and adore them, that would be a dream come true to have one! your pics are awesome:-)

#136092 September 27th, 2006 at 06:53 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Well...I live in Kentucky so I guess I'm supposed to have horses, but my mom has enough for both of us.

#136093 September 27th, 2006 at 06:58 AM
afgreyparrot.......

Send us photos of kentucky horses..........
Does she do the Derby?

I like to watch it on tv......3 minutes and it is all over.. ha ha
They sure get dolled up for that..........

dodge thumbup

#136094 September 27th, 2006 at 10:16 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
My last horse was an Appaloosa Stallion named Smokey Joe. He was white with cinnamon brown speckles all over him. He was one of the sweetest, gentlest, most affectionate horses I've ever had.......except when he got near a mare in heat; then he would go crazy. He was the horse that threw me and stomped me in the head when I was riding him and we passed a mare in heat. He fathered several foals off that mare, which was ALSO an Appaloosa. Her name was Molly and she was Cinnamon Brown with white speckles; the exact photographic negative of Joe. Their offspring were ALWAYS the classic Bear-Paw Appaloosa that you generally see depicted being ridden by Native American Warriors. Her is Joe's picture (Copyright 2006 Thornius Weatherpink, Esq.)

SMOKEY JOE
[Linked Image]

#136095 September 27th, 2006 at 11:19 PM
Thorn

what do you expect when boy meet girl..(IN HEAT)

ha ha
I live on a farm too.

dodge

Link Copied to Clipboard