This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#135592 March 7th, 2006 at 11:13 PM
OP Offline
Well... today is the day!
I was able to clean off some room by the window in the little room off the kitchen to make room for my seeds. I had to move some large overwintering geraniums, and hope they fair well in their new spot.

I had some difficulty in taking pictures in front of the bright window. I tweaked the photos online so you can hopefully see them better. This double window gets NorthWestern exposure - very late afternoon setting sun, but is bright most of the day. The only drawback, is that one of the windows slipped in its casing, so it's pretty cold in that room. I'm hoping the seeds will be ok as it warms up a bit - it's supposed to be mid 60's by Friday - YEA!!! Duh

Also, still need a good way to label which seeds are in which pellets. I usually end up turning the containers around when they have sprouts in them to strengthen the stems, and if I mix seeds in containers, I need to know where which seeds are...

Any good suggestions?

#135593 March 7th, 2006 at 11:29 PM
wow are you going to be busy, post some pics when they start to sprout..
good luck...
penny

#135594 March 7th, 2006 at 11:39 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Duct Tape!!!!

No seriously, duct tape the containers,
take a permenant black/red marker and put
on it what seedlings they are..

then next year, or next seeding, either more duct tape on top, put a piece of paper with some scotch tape and keep pulling that paper off the duct tape.. Duh Duh Duh

But great looking set up you got going on there, Lynne!!! thumbup flw

#135595 March 7th, 2006 at 11:40 PM
That looks like a good set up you have going...as far as labeling them...????? Unless you plan to move the pellet pots around (inside there containers), you could stick a label on the container, showing what is planted where in each tray, like a diagram. I will be interested to see what you come up with.

#135596 March 7th, 2006 at 11:50 PM
OP Offline
See - I knew you geniuses would come up with something - so simple yet it completely eluded my tired brain. I think I'll use masking tape - doesn't have the adhesive that's hard to get off like duct tape, and I can write on it easily with a permanent marker.

I had been using popsicle sticks in previous years, but they usually ended up falling in the water and the ink would run on them, so I'd have no idea unless I remembered what the seedlings looked like.

kissies thumbup Thanks again! nutz

#135597 March 8th, 2006 at 12:02 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
thumbup flw
Now, if I could just get myself into using
that method... wink laugh laugh
My trays are flat, and I can't get tape on them,
unless, I pick them up and check the bottom..

I usually know what they are, once they sprout,
I've got a good eye for them, but sometimes
when I try a few new items, I'm stumped..
or confused.. :rolleyes: shocked

#135598 March 8th, 2006 at 01:24 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I like the idea of a map. That way all I'd have to do is number the containers and possible put different colored tab dividers like you use in notebooks to tell the difference between front and back so when you rotated them you would still know where everthing was in relation to your map.

Hope that made sense. Sometimes I know I don't.

#135599 March 8th, 2006 at 01:53 AM
OP Offline
ooooh - liking the tab idea too, Tammy - thanks!

#135600 March 8th, 2006 at 02:04 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
your very welcome loz. I too am looking forward to any and all pictures. I'm trying to get pictures but it isn't always easy. One at a time I'll work at it.

#135601 March 8th, 2006 at 02:13 AM
wow!!! those are like too cool

great job thumbup

#135602 March 8th, 2006 at 02:15 AM
Great pictures, Lynne! Thanks for showing me that I can keep my clutter organized...

I will be starting seeds soon...

Dianna

#135603 March 8th, 2006 at 03:04 AM
When I planted my seeds last weekend, I noticed that the new peat pellets are messier too!!

#135604 March 8th, 2006 at 03:44 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I think it's cause the roots looked like they were being strangled by the netting before...
I don't like those things...
They are tooooooo compacted for my liking of seed starting...

Lynne, do you have good success with them??
Very curious???

#135605 March 8th, 2006 at 04:29 AM
I'm with you weezie I don't like those pellet pots or the peat pots either. I recycle so many containers, and have alot of regular seeds flats I saved from a nursey dumpster years ago...some have duct tape holding them together now, but they can last for years. But the way I do it requires a little more work, then using those 'cute' little pellet pots.

#135606 March 8th, 2006 at 04:58 AM
OP Offline
I don't buy the pellets because they are "cute".
I usually do have great success with them, they are very convenient, and I can start and replant them easily.

One year I did not have much luck, but attribute that to the fact that I had trouble finding them and had to use a different brand.

#135607 March 8th, 2006 at 05:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's a nice set-up Lynne!!! thumbup

I'm not crazy about the pellets or peat pots myself. They dry out too fast for me.....seems like I water them and a few hours later they are totally dry again.

I usually use the little cell pack trays with the domes.....

But we all have our preferred way!!!! thumbup

#135608 March 8th, 2006 at 05:34 AM
Great set up Lynne! Looks like you have come a long way in getting that room cleared and ready for your seeds! Looking forward to seeing green soon!

#135609 March 8th, 2006 at 06:03 AM
wow that looks excellent lynne! you've inspired me to clean up my room and get me an area started laugh laugh thanks!

#135610 March 8th, 2006 at 07:20 AM
OP Offline
Thanks all!

As loz said... different strokes for different folks, right? Whatever works best for you, is what you should use for anything, seed starting included. I also like the pellets, because if one is not producing a plant, or gets a problem, I can easily remove it from the container and pop in another.I always re-use the peat in my garden if the pellet has failed, so I'm not wasting anything either.

#135611 March 8th, 2006 at 07:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One good thing I will say about the pellets and peat pots is that they make for easy transplanting! thumbup

That's a good thing thumbup ......when I tried them before I cut the bottom out of the pots and the netting on the pellets before I planted them....just so the roots can get out better. smile

#135612 March 8th, 2006 at 08:05 AM
OP Offline
loz - I always removed the netting before planting - it doesn't seem to be as biodegradable as they'd like to think, and I don't want to restrict the roots in any way if I can help it.

That's also why I like the pellets better than the pots - the netting comes off very easily, the pots are kinda dense!

#135613 March 8th, 2006 at 08:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The first year I tried the pots I went around pulling up plants at the end of the summer...and lo and behold----the pots hadn't decomposed at all...it was still a solid pot..bottom and all....the second year I learned and cut the bottoms out... laugh

The netting does come off easily on the pellets....If I had to pick between the 2 it would be the pellets definitely!!! thumbup

#135614 March 8th, 2006 at 12:29 PM
I think in either case I would take off what is on the outside, just from reading what you all are writing. Last year I did nothing and left both on. Everything grew ok, but I bet they would have done better without. This year I have a lil of everything going as well.

#135615 March 8th, 2006 at 01:58 PM
I experienced the samething as loz did with the peat pots, at the end of the season the peat pots were still intact. So If I had to choose between the peat pot and the pellets, I would chose the pellets, I have used them but also have the same problem with keeping them moist enough. They do look good in those white containers!

#135616 March 8th, 2006 at 09:24 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
You know, the concept of those peat pots
and jiffy pellets are for gardeners' to transplant plants with out disturbing the roots...

But I can not help myself by removing all of that stuff too, and I feel like I'm doing a point moot, but removing it...

Has anyone ever done a test/experiment where you leave some on and some off and see which ones' do better if either or!!!??!?!?!?!!?!!?

Just wondering...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard