This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13438 May 26th, 2003 at 03:13 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I just made a self waterint planter for my miniature african violets using a wicking system and one of my sons baby food containers. I was wondering if anyone else uses something like this and how it works or if i just skrewed up by using one of them. thanks everyone smile :rolleyes:

O
O
Hi, Cass! How did you make the self watering system? Sounds interesting!

C
OP Offline
C
hiyas. smile i made the system out of a baby food jar (the first stage ones) and used the seam of a cloth diaper that i cut off and put the seam into the root ball of the mini african violet then pulled it through one of the holes in the bottom of the pot so it was hanging out. i filled the jar with a weak water/fertilizer and put the plant pot with the wick in the water and put it right on top of the jar. its been keeping themnice n wet and they havent died yet. i always hate trying new things because i think sometimes im too nice to my plants lol... ill keep ya updated smile
-cassie

The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Cassviola
Kinda sounds like hydroponics to me. I use this system only with buckets in my greenhouse. Next winter I will be growing tomatoes hydroponically. Yum tomatoes all winter long. Can't wait. Catlover cool

C
OP Offline
C
Heya catlover smile its something :P so far it has been working pretty good. hows it work for you? I love fresh tomatoes in a grilled cheese sandwich or with salt n pepper. yummy!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YOur wicking system should work just fine as long as the soil is porous enough to stay constantly moist. The technical name for this type of system is "subirrigation." It is a great way to extend the time in between waterings. With a large enough container of water, you can fill it once and not have to add water again for a month or more.

Hydroponics is the prectice of growing plants in nutrient-enriched water, no soil at all.

The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Will Creed
So glad we have an expert on this site to set us straight. I will now call it subirrigating. Thanks again, Catlover cool

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Karen,
I agree!!!
It's nice to have that reasurrance!!!

I'm enjoying Bill being on the forum too!!!

smile

Link Copied to Clipboard