This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13427 October 30th, 2003 at 01:26 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I have tiny, tiny white bugs cawling around in my soil. When I water the plants they look like they are jumping. I have no idea what they are. I have read the description of different pests on the sides of some insectasides, but none seem to match. Anyone know what these might be?

#13428 October 30th, 2003 at 02:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You probably have springtails. Springtails feed on decaying organic matter found in potting mixes that are kept moist. Try to keep the soil as dry as possible. Remove all loose soil from the surface and put a light layer of sand or diatomaceous earth on the soil surface. These substances have sharp edges that carve up the critters.

Prevention is often the best remedy. Use sterile potting mixes that are free of pine bark. The potting mix should have ample drainage material, such as perlite so that it drains well and allows the soil to dry out frequently. Springtails can nearly always be traced back to overwatering and/or poor soil quality.

#13429 October 30th, 2003 at 02:20 AM
D
OP Offline
D
thank you so much for ur information, I think u hit the nail on the head I will get some sand, and not water as much which the soil was bone dry tonite so i just gave it a lil, and a jumping they went, once again ty......donna

Link Copied to Clipboard