This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#133874 November 6th, 2005 at 01:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I bought a suet feeder the other day and put it outside but nothings eaten from it yet....

What birds exactly should I be expecting to see feeding from it????? Duh

Just certain birds, or will any bird nibble from it....

This is a new thing for me....normally I stick to regular feeders...

Thanks... kissies

#133875 November 7th, 2005 at 12:00 AM
Most of my birds eat the suet - I especially like when the woodpeckers come - we have downy, Northern Flickers, and Red Bellied. Some others that like the suet are nuthatches, chickadee-dee-dees, titmice, cardinals, all types of finches including goldfinches...

BUT... the biggest problem is with the SQUIRRELS! mad
Where do you have your suet feeder?
Will the squirrels be able to access it? mad
mad I usually have to take mine down because the squirrels will finish the suet in less than an hour! mad

That said, just be patient, and the birds will find it soon enough, and you'll get great joy from watching them! thumbup

#133876 November 7th, 2005 at 12:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Lynne... kissies

I have it hanging in a tree in my yard and so far I haven't noticed anything on it....There is at least one squirrel around here--I never even thought of a squirrel eating it...now wonder you get mad....

I can't wait to see some birds eating from it.... clp Guess I'll just have to be patient.... smile

#133877 November 7th, 2005 at 08:46 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
You're in a good area, loz. You should get some birds, and very likely woodpeckers soon. In my 3 years of living here I have only had one squirrel in my yard and he stayed for only about 5 minutes and didn't even bother my feeders suet or otherwise.

#133878 November 7th, 2005 at 09:03 AM
Thornius, I have to say you are extrememly lucky!

We get soooo many squirrels here that they fight each other for the suet.

If they weren't soooo expensive, I'd get one of those Droll Yankee feeders - the ones that spin the squirrels off - have you seen the video? It's hysterical!

#133879 November 7th, 2005 at 09:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lynne, my uncle used to keep corn hanging from a screen door spring off a tree limb just outside of the reach of the bird feeder. he'd smear it with peanut butter regularly, and the squirrels would have so much fun? trying to get the corn and peanutbutter they would leave the bird seed alone.

#133880 November 7th, 2005 at 10:12 AM
Interesting idea, Jiffy - I'll have to give it a try, now that the peanut butter won't melt in the heat anymore!

Thanks for sharing that!

#133881 November 7th, 2005 at 11:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wavey Hi Everyone...

Thornius, I hope I do see some woodpeckers---when I first started feeding the birds I had one in my yard....and honestly I didn't know what it was back then...I called my hubby out to the window and said, look at that cool bird!!!

He just laughed at me and said, ummm you haven't ever seen a woodpecker before???? laugh Honestly though I never had, or if I did I hadn't cared.....I only started really taking care of my little birdy friends about 3 years ago.....and now I love it!!!!

Should I keep the suet feeder by itself in the tree away from the other feeders, or do you think I should move it closer to the other 2 I have..... Duh

And hey Cindy smile ...don't you make your own suet stuff?????? I imagine it's cheaper to do that in bulk than to keep buying it at wallyworld every time....

#133882 November 7th, 2005 at 10:59 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
loz, It is fine to group your suet feeders just inches away from your other feeders! Here is a picture of the feeders in my front yard. Just below the green suet cage on the right side you can see a Tufted Titmouse swooping in for a landing on one of my Black Oil Sunflower seed tube feeders.

My Feeders (With Tufted Titmouse)
[Linked Image]

#133883 November 7th, 2005 at 11:06 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Here's how I keep the squirrels away from my bird feeders! nutz laugh

[Linked Image]

#133884 November 8th, 2005 at 02:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh Great squirrel pic there Thornius...

kissies And thank you for being so helpful...You know something, I have a brown feeder just like your green ones and that is the one that the small birds like the best...I have other fancy feeders that they won't touch....and the little one I bought for a buck I think...funny how that works.... laugh

I moved the suet feeder over near the others, so hopefully now I'll start seeing some activity. thumbup

#133885 November 8th, 2005 at 07:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i found the suet feeder at kroger today thumbup only $1. and, they had the suet cakes on sale for 68 cents, so i got one of those too!

#133886 November 8th, 2005 at 10:12 AM
good going, Jiffinator!!!

I find the cakes at Christmas tree Shops for 3 for $2 too! I usually stock up on them!

#133887 November 8th, 2005 at 11:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, I need to find a place with good deals like that.....they're 96 cents each I think at wallyworld....

Way to bargain shop Jiffy!

#133888 November 8th, 2005 at 11:54 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Laura,
Do you have any local FEED MILLS
in your area???
All of ours around here locally
sell all that stuff.. thumbup

#133889 November 8th, 2005 at 12:20 PM
It takes a few days for the birds to discover feeders-then watch out! I love watching them-I to have a problem with the squirrels. I have not excactly admitted defeat with them-decided that all creatures need food. I do like the idea of covering a corn cob with peanut butter. I have bought expensive National Geographic feeder-birds wouldn't eat from it and cheap ones which they swarm over. go figure

#133890 November 8th, 2005 at 12:28 PM
cheap ones which they swarm over. go figure
yep - from now on I buy the cheap plastic ones from Christmas tree Shops - $3.99 and the birdies love 'em. thumbup

I have tried EVERYTHING to deter the squirrels - even bought whole peanuts to lure them elsewhere - but they keep going back to the suet! mad

#133891 November 8th, 2005 at 01:05 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Loz, I stole your new signature to use on my other forums. It knocked me out!

#133892 November 8th, 2005 at 10:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wavey

I've been looking online at window feeders and I want one SOOOOOO bad....not the cheap suctiony cup types but a big wooden one that goes across the whole width of the window....man those things had me drooling.... laugh I'd put it on the kitchen window---then I'd never leave the kitchen...I could just sit there and watch them up close... thumbup

#133893 November 9th, 2005 at 12:02 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Loz. if you or someone in your family is handy at woodworking, you can build a window feeder platform that you could bolt to the outside window ledge. See my post, "Today's Bird Picture" in this section of the forum. I get my wood for FREE! thumbup Also you can see an ACTUAL picture of me putting up a nest box, that I built Sunday, in my backyard.

#133894 November 9th, 2005 at 02:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
idea Hey that's a great idea....My hubby went to technical school to be a carpenter so he's great at woodwork.....He has miter saws, table saws, routers and all that.....I guess I could buy a piece of mirrored one way stuff to put on the back part near the window too....

He he he, he'll just love something else being added to his "to do" list.... laugh Heck, he might just break down and buy one just so he doesn't have to make it.... :rolleyes: laugh It's a great idea though and worth me bugging him about it!

#133895 November 9th, 2005 at 05:39 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
The mirror isn't really necessary. Many times you get the exact same individual birds coming to your feeder mant times a day and they quickly realize you are no threat and will not be scared of you watching them. I even have a Northern Mockingbird I call Mr.
Mocky, whom as sonn as I start talking to hik, runs up within three feet of me, cocks his head, and listens to the sound of my voice raptly until I finish talking.

#133896 November 9th, 2005 at 05:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's great info Thornius.....Now I just have to work on the old hubby...

[Linked Image]I'm so excited--I noticed my first bird feeding at the suet just a few minutes ago.... thumbup

#133897 November 9th, 2005 at 05:59 AM
loz - you should put a birding book on your Christmas wish list! thumbup

I have 2 - the smaller more portable one is
Peterson Field Guides
Eastern Birds by Roger Tory Peterson

the one I prefer and got later is
National Audubon Society
The SIBLEY Guide to Birds by David Allen Sibley

Both are excellent books and I highly recommend them! thumbup clp smile

#133898 November 9th, 2005 at 06:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know huh? I do have Birdwatching for Dummies, and Backyard Birds or something...I need a comprehensive book though....I just never got around to getting one yet...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard