This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#132602 February 13th, 2005 at 05:11 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi all!! I am new here, and looking forward to getting to know everyone! I have a question about a plant that I purchased about 6 months ago. I bought it from walmart, the brand name is Angel plants. Their name for the plant is a "Garland Ivy" It's GORGEOUS, but I am having trouble getting it to grow, it seems as though is hasn't grown at all in the six months that I've had it, and on how to get the clippings to root. I have clipped several pieces, and did what I normally do and they just get slimy and die. I've had one piece root (took 2 weeks!) and I planted it and it died within a month. I am at a loss, I paid quite a bit for it and I love it, so I don't want to lose it. I can't find any information on garland ivys anywhere, not even on the angel company website. It is a medium shade of green with 3 points on each leaf, no speical colors just plain green, the biggest leaves are around 2 1/2 inches long and 2 inches wide, and the stems are very hard, not fleshy like my other plants (like my wandering jews, arrow head, etc) I have been growing plants for around 7 years now and I have never had any problems like I've had with this one. I can send pictures via e-mail if anyone is able to identify it's real name (if Garland Ivy is just the company's name for it). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Tiffany (Hudson, Florida)

A picture of the plant is at:
http://www.exoticangel.com/Varieties/plants/Ivy/IvyGarland.htm

This is NOT my plant in the pic! If it was I wouldn't be complaining, mine will not gorw and is around 1/3 the size of this one, you can see the whole pot! smile

#132603 February 13th, 2005 at 05:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Tiffany! wavey

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have a photo of your ivy? Check out this site for information on ivies - yours might be there.

American Ivy Society

#132604 February 13th, 2005 at 06:44 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi! I just found what I think might be my Ivy. It's called an algerian ivy. But I was unable to find out any info on why my plant is not growing (it's starting to die) and how to get clippings to root. I just got done pulling dead leaves off of it, some pieces were dead all the way to the roots. I let it dry before I water it again, and I leave it in filtered sunlight. I live in Flroida, and it says that it's a tropical plant.
I'm still not exactly sure if it is an algerian ivy, but that's the one it looks closest to, as far as color and shape of the leaves. If someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I need to do it would be so helpful. Here is what I do:

It's an indoor plant, we don't have central air and our window unit is clear across the house from it. I water it when it's dry, mist it every couple days. I have a planter that has a water well in the bottom, that I make sure is only half full after watering (someone told me to do that to aviod root rot). I use miracle grow potting soil and put food spikes in (miracle grow also) about every 6 months.
Any suggestions? Thanks! Tiffany

Link Copied to Clipboard