This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#131534 April 12th, 2005 at 08:03 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I love living in the country - the birds, the squirrels, the frogs, the turtles, the fish, the deer, the bunnies, the fox, even the raccoon. But, oh dear - 4 of our 5 or 6 year old gold fish totally disappeared - good sized pond fish. What happened?
Last night we saw a coon across the road from our place, with such a smile on his face. Last week I so enjoyed taking pictures of the Heron - first just one came visiting, then there were three. That baseball sized frog a couple years ago, is now at least hal again as big and lives in the pond where the adult gold fish disappeared. He'd never bothered them before - but he's bigger now, did he do it? I haven't seen any turtles around lately, so I think I can count them out for now - though soon we should see them out sunning them selves and frequently they are backyard visitors.
I'd really like to put more goldfish in that pond - decisions, decisions - would it do any good to move that bull frog in the large pond across the street, or would he find his way back. At first we thought it was the Heron's - but after seeing how huge the frog had grown - we wonder. It happens. Something got em without a single sign . . .Things to think about . . .
Sharon

#131535 April 12th, 2005 at 03:07 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hi Sharon,
My guess would be either the Heron or the racoon..
Both would love to have a "captured~fish" meal...

I don't have a pond, I do know a few of the gardener's do have them...
The only advice I've ever seen or read about the worked was placing a thin type of netting at the top of the pond... neither the coon or the heron want to get caught up in it and will then stay away from it....

I'm sure you'll have more tips and tricks coming thru.....

Weezie

P/S Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way, we're very glad you found us!!! wavey

#131536 April 12th, 2005 at 10:35 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Hi Sharon....My bet is the heron....I have a neighbor that had to make her pond deeper as well as the sides more vertical to keep the herons from getting her fish. She also stated she put more plants in the pond so that the fish had a place to hide.
Catlover kit flw

#131537 April 13th, 2005 at 12:35 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Wow you guys really have a live board here!
I may try the netting as we already have some on hand. I wouldn't mind trying lily pads, or something that flowers for a few more plants and hiding places - I'll look around a bit - the shelves are full up now. These lower ponds have two 60 gal preformed ponds end to end, so, can't change the depth of them.
Thanks for the input! Sure appreciate your responses!

Sharon

#131538 April 13th, 2005 at 01:45 AM
Sharon,
Hi! I would say heron too. Racoons are really distructive when they raid. If the netting doesn't work some have had success with a scarecrow.

scarecrow

Gardencrazy flw

#131539 April 13th, 2005 at 01:55 AM
G
G
The birdblock netting is likely the easiest trick to try first.

Most any of the critters you sited would try to snag a fish if the opportunity arose. I lost a shubunkin goldie to a racoon on my first attempt to stock my pond as well.

I would move the frog as well. Frogs eat anything that fits in their mouths...and if you look at how their mouths are hinged you realize large items comfortably fit there.

If you do decide to restock the fish, look for the larger comets if possible. (Petsmart keeps them with their plants...they are just feeder goldies who have been in better tanks and conditions and thus grow a bit bigger in the store.)

Link Copied to Clipboard