This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#131522 February 16th, 2005 at 10:34 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I am glad I found you folks. My hubby and ia actually own two residences. One in the city of Pittsburgh, no garden there, exdcept for flower beds in front of the house. Our second residence is our in the country near Ligonier, PA. Fifty miles east of Pittsburgh.

I am very curious about a "plant" I found growing in a flower container at my Ligonier residence. I thought it was a maple tree of which we have several 10s of. The leaf is not quite maple in shape though. I left it alone just to see what would happen, and low and behold it started blooming in late October. I am very perplexed by this plant, as I cannot find any reference to it in our area of the state either wild or in a nursery.

The flower is a deep crimson in color with five petals and large dark gold stamen. The interesting thing about the petals is that each one has a tear drop hole in close to the stamen.

I have brought the plant into Pittsburgh and into the house, where it continues to bloom.

Any thoughts?? I think it is a hibiscus (SP?) hybrid, but don't know for sure. I have no idea where the plant even came from except that it was just growing in the planter pot.

Thanks for your help. Carolann

#131523 February 17th, 2005 at 12:53 AM
Sounds as though it may be an Abutilon (Flowering Maple).
This site has a multitude of pictures:
http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Abutilon/galleryH.html

And this site has care notes:
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/abutilon.html

Hope this helps!
Welcome to the group! wavey

Link Copied to Clipboard