This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#130943 September 30th, 2005 at 07:26 AM
OP Offline
hey everybody! I was outside a little while ago and saw this teeny little froggie...itsn't he adoreable! I had to get my brother to take a pic of him because he was jumping everywhere! so I had to use my other hand as a little wall so he wouldn't jump out lol [Linked Image]
oh yea and I also saw this kewl looking spider,not a very good pic but I tried though... [Linked Image]

#130944 September 30th, 2005 at 07:49 AM
If I found the frog, I'd keep 'im and name 'im...spider, I'm not too sure about...Wouldn't refer to it as "kewl"...icky! They give me the heebie jeebies. Thanx for sharin' the pics!
Christina

#130945 September 30th, 2005 at 09:05 AM
wavey Very cool pictures Jamie.

I have lots of those spiders.I always just call them garden spiders........hmmm.......gonna have to look them up.

wink I think they are pretty.

#130946 September 30th, 2005 at 09:48 AM
OP Offline
woah! those pics are HUGE! lemme go resize them

#130947 September 30th, 2005 at 09:53 AM
OP Offline
ack! ok let's try this AGAIN! lol

#130948 September 30th, 2005 at 09:58 AM
OP Offline
ok I resized them but now you can hardly see the spider :-(

#130949 September 30th, 2005 at 10:01 AM
OP Offline
ok I need to REALLY stop posting by myself here it's starting to look a little errrrr weird lol just wanted to also say christina...I'm scared as heck of spiders too it's just that I thought that particular one was neat looking smile I used to be terrified of granddaddy long legs but now they don't scare me much and I can pick them up (by the legs though! lol)

#130950 September 30th, 2005 at 10:04 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
ok I need to REALLY stop posting by myself
laugh

I am scared sca of spiders (well, all insects!) but I don't kill them...I just keep my distance.

I am terrified of spiders! shk

Cindy Sue

#130951 September 30th, 2005 at 10:42 AM
Is that a tree frog?

#130952 September 30th, 2005 at 06:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Isn't he cute Duh

#130953 September 30th, 2005 at 07:05 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Ribbitt!
[Linked Image]

#130954 September 30th, 2005 at 08:40 PM
we have a great little frog that climbs up the kitchen window over our sink every night and waits for the bugs to be attracted to the light. Actually he started out as a little frog but the feastin' is pretty good around my window.

#130955 October 1st, 2005 at 12:49 AM
OP Offline
that little frog is soooooooooooo kute gmom! we have those around here too :-) as a matter of fact we had it on our kitchen window too lol! isn't that a coinkydink bev? lol! it's to bad that our tree frogs only come out at night :p the frog in my hand isn't a tree frog though. he was out in the day time. I wish he was a tree frog though! but he's still kute :-)

#130956 October 1st, 2005 at 10:42 AM
my brother and sister and I used to catch teeny tiny toads on Cape Cod when we were kids - so little sometimes you could hardly make out their features. Maybe half the size of a pencil eraser or smaller. Those were cute and we used to carry them around all the time. I'm not so anxious anymore to be picking them up and carrying them in my pocket.

#130957 October 1st, 2005 at 03:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jaime, your frog is very cute! I love frogs. Sometime I'll post my pics of a frog in the swimming pool - the chlorine didn't seem to affect him but I took him down to the river. My frineds who wanted to off the bullfrog because it is a non-native species that is rapidly driving out many native frog species. But hey, it's not the animal's fault that he was born with the genes of a bullfrog.

Now spiders are a different story and there I am the first to admit to being hypocritical about them. Their is a particularly nastp spider that lives - did I say live? :rolleyes: I mean thrives! - in the Pacific Northwest called the Wolf spider. Warning: Viewing the following image could permanently burning itself into your brain and if you weren't an insomniac before, well....view at your own risk!

[Linked Image]

Wolf spiders are particularly nightmarish. Most of the ones I see this time year are 3-5", although they grow much larger in nearby rainforests. They are enormous, black, thick hairy and not only do they run VERY fast, they JUMP! HIGH!! And they are related to tarantulas. Unlike unobtrusive spiders who quietly spin webs , in corners rarely dusted, shocked waiting for pesky flies and mosquitoes to wander into their trap. wolf spiders aggressively hunt for food, roaming their territory throughout the night in search of prey. Rumor has it they derived their name from their prey! nutz I am too afrid to get close enough to kill them - did I mention they excell at high and broad jumping? - So out comes my savior, the built-in central vac. (You can beat these monsters over and over with a broom, they don't stay dead! But that's another story.) Back to the vacuum, which sucked up all that could be found (comforting thought :rolleyes: ). I can't help but wonder with all the spiders I suck up, if they end up cannabalizing themselves or reproducing? Both are the stuff of nightmares. Better leave that one alone - it's 2 am.

Preparing last for bed last night, I poofed 7 wolf spiders from my home in half hour. It was as if they new I was about to turn out the lights and they bravely ventured out, one or two at a time, each set of eight eyes (very scary when a spider's eight eyes are large enough to see!) seemingly following me, reading my intent. Seriously, when I casually approached one with the hose turned off, still feel away, it ran TOWARDS me! I bravely let out a battle shriek (or I hope that's how it interpreted my scream of terror), and managed to suck it up with the vacuum before it could climb my leg. Eventually all 7 were now residing in a canaster that I will NEVER clean out!, including the 2 on my ceiling above the bed, just waiting to rapidly repel to my sleeping form. Then the paranoia set in. What if that was the advance scouting party? What if there were others - many others - lurking in the deepest shadows watching my every move with all 8 eyes, plotting revenge for killing their mates as soon as I turned out the lights? Guess who didn't sleep last night?

Did I mention I'm arachnophobic? The positive thing about Wolf spiders is they have taught me in comparison, other spiders are not to be as feared. But that doesn't mean I have to like them either. And no way am I going near enough to kill them by hand!

Guess who is not sleeping tonight?! frown laugh

#130958 October 1st, 2005 at 08:48 PM
Cricket - you have my sincere sympathy - one wolf spider is enough to send me running to the hills and I've never had one in my house - definitely the stuff of nightmares.

I'll never forget the first time I ever saw a Palmetto bug (pretty innocuous when compared to a wolf spider) when I was staying in a hotel in Florida with my 3 kids. I stayed up all night armed with a rolled up magazine because I was afraid of what would happen if I turned the lights out. Now I would have the sense to ask for another room but then I was young and non-confrontational.

#130959 October 1st, 2005 at 09:32 PM
cricket......omg!!!!!! i don't think i'll be getting any sleep soon, after reading that!!!!!!! dear god.....thats way to many spiders!! and what about your vacuum canister?? do you put a piece of plastic over the end of the hose so they can't crawl out?? do you know they say on average, people swallow 3 spiders a night......yikes!! those little (big in your case) creepy things just climb down their webs at night and if your mouth is open (due to snoring) well........its just to horrifying to think about!!!!!!

Linda

p.s. i don't snore.....hahahahahahaha

#130960 October 1st, 2005 at 09:48 PM
shk Cricket,
that sounds like a bad horror movie.
Do you know how they are getting in the house?

#130961 October 1st, 2005 at 10:13 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Oh, crap! (as Lola would say!) thumbup p

Anyway...about the vacuum.
I used to suck up German hornets in my wet/dry vac when I lived at the farm and they'd get in. Then, I'd spray hornet killer into the hose while it was on. I didn't want to open the wet/dry vac to empty it and get attacked by pissed off hornets.

Cindy Faye

#130962 October 1st, 2005 at 11:01 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
I have a bunch of small frogs outside in the garden keep water for them. Also keep my spiders safe from mean people that want to hurt them. do Wolf spiders eat Wolves? If so I need to make sure they don't get near my greywolves and snow wolves up norht. Other then that I will take all your spiders keep other nasty bugs away. cindy Catlover send you a spider hmmmm just got an idea. laugh laugh thumbup p
Jimmy

#130963 October 2nd, 2005 at 02:10 AM
Hi, I thought I would share a pic of my baby froggies as well......... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#130964 October 2nd, 2005 at 03:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love the one on the angels head! They are both too cute thumbup

#130965 October 2nd, 2005 at 03:32 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Oh, those are SOOO COOL! ! ! ! !
My frogs just hang out on the edge of the pond, and SCREAM when they jump into the water when the dog gets too close! laugh

#130966 October 2nd, 2005 at 04:07 AM
my mother had an albino frog for several years, her name ws miss piggy. she loved being hand fed and loved hanging out with the koi goldfish. she was really special.....since frogs are near the bottom of the food chain....and mom had plenty of raccoons in the yard....we'll i'm just glad their was no evidence left by the raccoon. that was so sad.....i miss her
Linda

#130967 October 2nd, 2005 at 04:10 AM
hi wayner2000......those are great pics!!! keep em safe

Linda

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard