This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#130794 December 22nd, 2004 at 03:18 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone ~ wavey

Have you all heard of the expression "Fool's Gold"? Well, I think my friends and I have been treated to a titch of that through this "prize" we recently won.

Things aren't always exactly what they seem, apparently. Today was the big "revealing" of the package and all I can say is that as stunned as I had been originally to hear of the win, I am equally stunned at the fulfillment of it.

My friends and I are disappointed. My friends are also scared that this radio station will get much milage out of the "feel good" story. I have simply asked everyone to just stay calm and let's wait to see what happens next.

Even so, I am disappointed. And even so, SOME help is better than NO help.

Just thought you all should know....

Merme

#130795 December 22nd, 2004 at 03:24 AM
Oh, Merme! I'm so sorry! You are great to be taking it so well. Perhaps the best thing to come of it is knowing how much your friends care, but I think you already know that. Here's hoping that some good comes of it for all of you.

Ann

#130796 December 22nd, 2004 at 04:25 AM
I am sorry, sca but could you say exactly what happened? What did they tell you?

#130797 December 22nd, 2004 at 06:04 AM
mad I'm sorry too.Merme

When I saw your first post,I thought"well finally,someone very deserving is gonna get something great."

If they don't live up to those promises,I hope you contact a local tv station.

They should not get away with this kind of explotive holiday tactic.

My best wishes to you and Maxi.

**grinding my teeth***

**clenching my fists**

Peace to you,my friend.

luv duckie

#130798 December 22nd, 2004 at 06:36 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
If they don't live up to those promises,I hope you contact a local tv station.

They should not get away with this kind of explotive holiday tactic.
Or contact another radio or tv station and tell them of that other radio stations' "presentation".

Hoping all works out for you Merme!!!
And lil` Maxi tooooo!!!!

Weezie

#130799 December 22nd, 2004 at 07:13 AM
Oh no, Merme, what happened? Did you post the whole story elsewhere and I missed it? I'm already disappointed for you, without even knowing what the big "presentation" turned out to be.

#130800 December 22nd, 2004 at 07:42 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Ok, so I'm really glad I told my friends to just stay calm and let's wait to see what happens next.

This morning I got a terribly interesting phone call from my girl friend at church who was the one who wrote the letter about Maxi and I. The station had contacted her again...

I wasn't aware of it at the time, but one of the two men who were at my house yesterday is actually the station manager. He didn't actually say much, just walked around, took photos and measurements and listened intently. The DJ did most of the talking.

As I said in this thread earlier, we were terribly disappointed in the "prize" because we had hoped for some solid help and not just a gimmicky windowdressing for a "feel good" story.

Apparently the station manager was also disappointed in the "prize" once he was here, saw our situation, met me and learned. He went home with a head full of new ideas and concerns than he had come in with.

So this morning, he got busy right away to try to put his new and better ideas into action! His goal now is to take it beyond what the stated "prize" had been.

He wants permission from my landlord to do a few construction projects inside, such as widening my bedroom doorway, replacing the kitchen floor,and building some kind of wheelchair accessible storage.

He also wants to coordinate with my church to organize a group of volunteers to do what Mel suggested....that once the big work is done and the whole place is fixed up and manageable, that volunteers could come in every now and again and do the "hard to reach" tasks.

He doesn't want this to be simply a one shot "here is your 'prize' deal. He would like it to become a continuing effort of practical help to achieve the goal I am so concerned about -- keeping Maxi and I together as a family.

Because truthfully, that's been my biggest fear. That if I can't maintain us in our apartment in a reasonable manner, I would have to go into an assisted living place and Maxi into foster care. It is so on my heart and mind 24/7, to keep going at it as long as possible. I really do not want my son among strangers -- or worse, with his dad.

Anyway, I think this station manager was deeply moved by his visit here yesterday and plans are afoot for him to totally revamp that "prize".

So he's a man of conscience, perhaps we should say? A man who has decided to take steps beyond what the advertizers and execs and Christmasy sentiments wanted to do.

And you guys, you'll never really know how much your interest and concern means to me! Let's keep praying because so what if the station itself was only willing to do one thing...this man might have contacts in other arenas that would be willing to really do the job. I just can't tell at this point, but I'm inclined to have a little trust at least. Just a little.

Merme

#130801 December 22nd, 2004 at 09:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
we'll pray for you

#130802 December 22nd, 2004 at 09:51 PM
J
J
Merme it appears you may have found a Saint thumbup
Please keep us updated, will worry about you and Maxi until you do.
Will pray really hard that lt all goes well for you thumbup
Everyone is rooting for you angell
Lots of luv Doreenxx

#130803 December 22nd, 2004 at 11:38 PM
And you guys, you'll never really know how much your interest and concern means to me!
Are you kidding me !!! It's the only reason I checked in at all tonight!! And it's brought a smile and tears of joy to me for you and Maxi! (and I really needed it to lift me just a little bit from my dark and grouchy mood) If there's anything I can do, besides prayers, let me know, I'll be around and on vacation from next Wed through Tues!

Everyone is rooting for you angell
DITTO !!!!

#130804 December 23rd, 2004 at 12:03 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That is great news Merme!!!
Not many people would go the EXTRA mile,
but very glad to hear that nice gentlemen is going to!!!!

Weezie

#130805 December 23rd, 2004 at 12:15 AM
cool Hi Merme,
I am praying hard that this man is an angel in disguise and will come thru with all this for you- like you I thought perhaps it was just for the feel good story--- and after I read your first post I was ready to call the investigators in ..... sorry the temper in me..... but then I kept reading - your are what I hope to be someday when I grow up ..LOL! Your patience is something I strive for.... it would be really wonderful for them to come thru for you with an ongoing program and I just have the feeling this will happen for you and Maxi-- angels are among us and this man just may be one - keeping my prayers going and my fingers crossed too....

#130806 December 23rd, 2004 at 01:20 AM
Oh thank goodness! Let's hear it for this good man, and all the others out there like him. I too will be really hoping that this works out for you!

#130807 December 23rd, 2004 at 05:27 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry, guys, I don't mean to keep bugging you all with the details of this unfolding story, but jeepers, I think I'm still trying to process it all.

The station manager contacted a woman who runs a rather elaborate foster home for teenage girls in my town. As part of her program, the girls do community service and he explained my situation to her, asking if she thought her girls might like to get involved?

She discussed it with them and called me tonight. They are coming to meet us in the morning.

The girls thought they could first do a general clean-up next week after their vacation, devoting special effort on re-organizing Maxi's bedroom in a way that will make it easy for him to maintain. Then they thought they could teach him how to keep it nice and set up a reward system for him in which he could earn outings with the girls for keeping his room tidy. This would be VERY helpful because I can't get in Maxi's room at all.

They also thought they could help me finish going through the things that were put in storage by my friends when we first moved here. I can't reach the boxes, so they could pull them out for me and help with the sorting and then re-organizing what I decide to keep. My attendant is good about taking stuff to Salvation Army for me, so he'll cart away whatever I no longer want.

If we eliminate unnecessary stuff out of the apt, it will make it that much easier for the designer to figure out about handy daily storage needs. Not to mention make it easier for me to do chores such as vacuuming.

Tonight when my landlord stopped by I invited him in to chat and told him all about the radio station and what they want to do, with his permission. He is all for the idea! and will be happy to work with them to figure out what is best. He has a HUGE investment in this property and I think it is rather generous of him to even consider allowing anyone to make alterations.

When I sat here all by myself praying for help, I never in a million years dreamed that "help" would take a shape such as this! It is overwhelming, somehow.

Merme

#130808 December 23rd, 2004 at 05:30 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
I am so very glad that things are working out for you...I think of you each day!

And you are NOT bothering us with the details! We all WANT to know! grinnnn

I'm so happy for you!!! flw

#130809 December 23rd, 2004 at 05:45 AM
I am soo glad that things are working out for you! Here's to a very merry Christmas for you!

#130810 December 23rd, 2004 at 05:55 AM
wavey
Hey Mary Ellen,

WOOOOO Hooooo,great news.Thanks for letting us know.

Yes indeedy we want to know how you are doing.
I was really angry at the thought of someone taking advantage of you and Maxi.

flw Shari

#130811 December 23rd, 2004 at 08:22 AM
cool Hi Merme,
Of course we want details- so nice when prayers are answered and you get to help these teenage girls too- bet there is lots you could teach them while they are helping you and Maxi.... got goose bumps just thinking of it!
Yay! and your landlord is another angel!
Made my evening here!
Nana

#130812 December 23rd, 2004 at 05:07 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Good morning, all ~ wavey

The girls from the foster care home came by earlier to take a look at the place and chat with me. I was very impressed because upon seeing the mess they didn't fall into a dead faint or run screaming out the door! In fact, they were rather optimistic and said they had all seen much worse! Hard to believe, but I took their word for it.

So when they come back from vacation next week they are going to start in Maxi's room, and involve him in the task as well. I know he'll be so proud, so proud when the work is done.

There is hope. There is always hope. Why do I sometimes have such a hard time remembering that?!

Merme

#130813 January 1st, 2005 at 08:42 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone~ wavey

The girls from the foster home came yesterday all cheerful and ready to work. They were amazing!

They took all the adaptive equipment out of my bathroom and scrubbed the place from top to bottom, no nook or cranny left untouched. Then one of them scoured all the equipment as well and put it back in place. A friend later remarked that it seems as though they installed a new bathroom, it is so clean and sparkly. thumbup I want to put a velvet rope across the doorway and not let anyone in there, but! laugh Terrific job.

They tackled Maxi's room as well, organizing it for everyday use so he can maintain it himself now. We made him a "reading nook" in his large walk-in closet that has its own window and light. He will love getting all cozy in there to read and dream. They hung the bulletin board he got from Santa this year, doing a careful job with the yardstick and nails to get it just right.

Then they cleared out the small hallway so I can now get my wheelchair into the kids room!

As I continue to unload stuff we don't need or want any more, it is making the cleaning easier. Then once the cleaning is complete, the designer will have an easier task figuring out about storing what we really do want and need and later, the decorating.

What a nice, nice way to begin the New Year with two rooms all tidy and truly useable again! muggs

Merme

#130814 January 1st, 2005 at 08:51 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Merme, that's sooo nice!

My dad is in a wheelchair, so I know a little of what you are talking about.
But, my dad is the worst with the "saving stuff", and letting things pile up. It seems like I can clean his table off one day, then go back the next and it's piled HIGH with everything in the world. Sometimes I wonder where he gets it! nutz

Cindy

#130815 January 1st, 2005 at 08:57 PM
wink Wow Merme,
Can I borrow these girls? Sounds like they know just what they are doing ..... my dd2 could use their help organizing her house too--- we are working on it but boy is it a big job--- soon to be 4 kids in a 2 bedroom house--- 1 bath....
I bet Maxi is so happy with his newly cleaned up and easier to be in bedroom... and a reading nook all his own- I want one too!Sounds so very cozy.... and to be able to get to his room now- that will be so nice for you both--- what a blessing for you to have found these girls and them to have found you too- I am with you and them - it is all to easy to assume because they are in the "system" that they may not be wonderful caring human beings--- most likely they are in the system because the people who should have been caring for them weren't.... love their attitude and wanting to be seen and heard for who they truely are.... angell in disguise....

#130816 January 1st, 2005 at 10:47 PM
Oh that is soooooooooo cool! I'm so happy for you and Max! I'll have to come down soon!

#130817 January 1st, 2005 at 11:02 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
What a way to start out the New Year Merme!!! I am excited to see how things fall together...and don't even think about foster care for your son...he needs his mommy and it looks like things will shape up and be easier for you to maintain and care for him...that in itself is an answer to prayer!!!!!Here's to ya honey!!!!!We're lovin ya!!!!

#130818 January 2nd, 2005 at 02:32 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, I forgot to tell you all something amusing about Maxi's bulletin board. The kid is forever and always taping his artwork on walls all over the house, which I leave in place as long as I can so as not to break his heart.

For Christmas, I decided to buy him a bulletin board of his very own now that I think he is big enough to use push pins safely. So when I went shopping for it, I found these majorly cool push pins that are way oversized and in bright metallic colors. Just the thing for a kid starting out with push pins who loves shiny stuff.

So I spelled out his name in letters four inches tall with the fancy push pins before I wrapped the board. When he opened the gift "from Santa" I said "Oh, Maxi! Your very own bulletin board with push pins! I didn't think you were old enough yet for push pins....I thought you had to be 10!"

He looked at me with his most sincere look, nodding his head sagely and said "Santa Claus knows I am big enough. That Santa knows things, Mommy."

Ever since, he's been grooving on the idea that Santa thought he is big enough for push pins when Mommy didn't.

Gotta love it.

Merme

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard