This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12974 June 2nd, 2003 at 03:20 PM
M
monty Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ok, go easy on me. I'm finally back to growing perennials after a sabatical of about 35 years. Here's my question, My daffodils turned out perfect this year and are just dying off. It appears a bulb has developd on the end of each stem. How do I go about cutting them off. i.e. when, etc. and what do I do so I can plant them in the spring. Thanks for anyone's and ewveryones input.

#12975 June 4th, 2003 at 08:39 AM
W
W
As far as I know you don't cut off anything please. I think that the green power has to go back into the bulb. How else can I explain it.

Also, I am in zone 6 and I leave em in the soil oudoors. I do believe that you could too but better check on that due to temp difference

#12976 June 4th, 2003 at 10:36 AM
Monty Dahling,

If it is at the end of the stem, it is a seed pod, and since most daffs are hybrids, it is not fertile seed, and thus a waste of the plant's energy. After they flower and begin to develop the pods, I always pop the seed pods off the ends of my daffs. I never cut the leaves off, only the pods.

Bess

#12977 June 4th, 2003 at 12:22 PM
M
M
Thanks bunches Bess

#12978 June 4th, 2003 at 07:03 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Definately leave the foliage growing and green for as long as possible. The flower stalks should be "snapped" off as soon as the bloom fades... before it even starts to form a pod. Daffodil flowers should always be snapped of rather than cutting or clipping them... (bend them to 90 degrees and they'll break off with a snap)
Spring bulbs page

#12979 June 4th, 2003 at 07:24 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I knew that about rhubarb.........
But why????
What does it do when you cut them off???

And the question I've always wanted to know is....
What happens to the bulbs when you inter plant them between perennials and you are fertilizing them throughout the season, It's very hard to keep the solution off the plant that's dying back.
Does that make a difference??????

Weezie wink

#12980 June 4th, 2003 at 07:45 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Now how did I know that it was gonna be YOU who asked that question, Weezie??? You snap them off cuz my mommy told me to do it that way! :p
I don't know for absolute sure, but I think snapping the stalks helps to heal and callous the stalk faster so the plants don't lose excessive amounts of moisture... Rhubarb stalks are supposed to be pulled out of the crown of the plant (wiggle and pull em straight up)... don't snap the heel off until you have pulled the stalks out! You can snap the flowers off if you want, though... laugh

Unless you really get carried away with your fertilizing, there shouldn't be any harm to the dormant bulbs....

[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: Bill ]

#12981 June 5th, 2003 at 03:14 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
You knew it was ME that was gonna ask because I'm the kind of girl your mother warned you about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*BIG SMILE*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's sorta what I meant by the rhubarb....
I never knew that growing up as a kid.
But I was helping the neighbor one day
(the husband) get some rhubarb and he's struggling with it and I offered my clippers and he was clipping them and then his wife came over and gave him the ole one two about how you never cut it you always pull it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have often wondered about the fertilizers on the bulbs that are in the process
of going dormant......when the stuff gets on their browning leaves.......does it screw them up or give 'em extra juice for storing in their bulb?????

Thanks for the info!!!
Weezie laugh

#12982 June 5th, 2003 at 06:28 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Had to laugh!!!!! Bill and Weezie you two are tooo much. Now this is what I mean about a good site. You can have a good chuckle and get on with business. Keep it up! This makes my day go a lot smoother. Catlover laugh laugh laugh

#12983 June 5th, 2003 at 07:54 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Karen,
I agree!!!!!!!!
Life is too short to a meanie!!!!

I enjoy laughing and it prolongs your life
(as well as gardening!!!)

Happy, Happy, Happy is my motto!!!

I very well know how to be a crabapple but always try to see the lighter side........

You make it through life a little bit lighter that way!!!

I also look at it that I hopefully only have about 40 more (I'm optimistic) Springs to do my work in the dirt and I better get movin'!!

Gotta go out side and dig in the dirt!!!

Weezie
laugh laugh laugh

#12984 June 5th, 2003 at 10:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh Weezie, don't sell yourself short... I think you have at least 50 left! I know that is what the gene pool has for me - IF I don't mess it up! And from the sounds of your kids, you are younger than I. Sometimes I feel like an old lady frown but it's ok, I've earned every gray hair!!

#12985 June 5th, 2003 at 03:40 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Only 40 or 50 years left? Now I KNOW I gotta be the youngest kid on here. wink
I'm curious... who are youngest (besides me) and oldest members of our group??? Don't be shy... there is no shame in being old and grey!
:rolleyes:
.......Yeah..... right! ROFL

#12986 June 6th, 2003 at 05:51 AM
I'm 45, but people (who like me) say I look like I'm in my thirties. I credit gardening, a silly sense of humor and a certain degree of immaturity for the illusion of "youth." wink

#12987 June 6th, 2003 at 08:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok, since I started this mess laugh about age, I will own up to my own. I will be 39 in exactly 1 month! For my birthday I am going to try to get the hubby and son to build me some raised beds in front of the house... I have some ideas, but we'll see. Have a great day with the gray hair! I know I have plenty for us all!! cool

#12988 June 6th, 2003 at 10:02 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
I was just thinking about this the other day. I am a single parent and darn near 44 on Aug.20; My kids are 18, 19 ane 21 on the 26th of this month. Trust me just because they have reached legal age does not make them adults. No comments on the rapid(rabbit) succession of kids ages. eek :p Believe me every gray hair has been EARNED!!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh Now somebody pleeezzzzzzzzze change the subject. Catlover Karen wink cool

#12989 June 6th, 2003 at 11:55 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Well.... at least I am in time to help Weezie and Jiffy.... DIDN'T YOU KNOW that when you turn 40 that you are legally allowed to start counting backwards in most states! You can't go make a claim for back years either...
Bess could have been 35 on her next birthday instead of 44...
Karen would be 38 instead of 42...
For the rest of you that may be approaching the big 4 0, remember... after 40 comes 39... 38...
See.... ya learn something new every day on this forum... yep!
Me? hmmmm... I think I'll just continue to claim to be the youngest kid here...
eek

Link Copied to Clipboard