This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12906 November 9th, 2003 at 07:16 PM
S
OP Offline
S
My potted hydrangea has been doing beautifully all summer long, but all of a sudden the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. The two I have planted in the ground are still green and healthy. any suggestions?? I live in NW Florida. wink

#12907 November 9th, 2003 at 07:29 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wavey Hi Suzannie wavey
I don't grow them but,
But I have some questions that
might narrow it down for someone
when they come through to ask you.

crit Have you done anything to the potted one??
crit Moved it?
crit Over or under watered it?
crit Have the temp. chilled where the potted one's roots are being chilled?
crit How long have you had both potted and planted ones?
crit Moved it by too much heat?

Maybe those will help someone!!

Happy Gardening!!
Weezie

#12908 November 10th, 2003 at 12:10 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi Weezie,

I haven't done anything different to the potted one. And it is in the same place I've had it all summer long. Only thing I can think of is maybe some insect has attacked it. I've seen this ugly black bug that's been around my plants lately. they are big, move slowly and they will fly. I just don't know.

#12909 November 10th, 2003 at 05:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't have any potted hydrangeas but I do have 5 that are in the ground and I do know that they like a lot of water....are you watering them enough?????? I'm stumped on this one, it could very well be bugs....do you actually see many of them on the plant itself?

#12910 November 10th, 2003 at 06:54 PM
Or...
maybe it's just being naturally deciduous. Mine has dropped it's leaves, as it does every autumn.

I just looked it up in my plant Book, and found that there are both deciduous and evergreen types of hydrangeas. Do you know the specific type of hydrangea that's in the pot? It could be that it's fine, just going into winter dormancy.

#12911 November 10th, 2003 at 06:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mine have done that too bess, but I was thinking that with her being in florida they might live all year round without dropping their leaves, because of the temps.....I don't know.... Duh

#12912 November 12th, 2003 at 07:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
about your hydrangea, in ft walton beach, it will be deciduous (sp). they start to die back about the time we get our first good cold spell (3 or more days in a row below 65) and by late feb, all the "old" wood (2 years old) will be so brittle that if you bump it, it will shatter. Don't worry about it, it will be just fine. the brittle wood can be left until spring to provide some protection and when you see the first green leaves, try the brown twigs and if they snap, they won't grow any more and if they start to bend, leave them, those will flower in the spring.

#12913 November 13th, 2003 at 01:35 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks everyone for your responses. Bess, I don't know what kind it is, I bought it last year at Wal-Mart.

Well, I'll just keep watering it and will see what happens to it.

Link Copied to Clipboard