This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#128936 February 28th, 2005 at 01:04 AM
duckie Offline OP
OP Offline
uh oh,it's getting a little drafty over here. grinnnn

Any and all advice for a novice rose grower would be very welcome.

I bought 2 new roses today.They came in a cardboard box.The package says plant them in the box.huh...???I don't think so.

Any advice about fertilizer and fungal preventatives?

flw duckie

#128937 March 3rd, 2005 at 06:38 AM
S
S
Hello, Duckie! As a beginner just completing my first year of roses, I thought I'd drop a few things I've learned into your lap. First, plant those things in a manure compost mixture, and keep them watered as needed. I recommend using the Osmocote slow-release fertilizers for them, and use a fungicide spray at least once a week. I use Ortho rose Pride; it seems to help keep black-spot from spreading so quickly. Ortho also has a spray for roses that controls both insects and diseases, but I don't remember exactly what it was called on the label. Bayer also has some excellent products. I hope this helps you along...I'm no rose expert, but I'm working on it! grinnnn

#128938 March 3rd, 2005 at 07:17 AM
duckie Offline OP
OP Offline
wavey Hello Sheri and Kiki,

nice to meet you.

And welcome to the forum. wavey

Thanks for your advice,but I don't use chemicals.
I'm an organic gardener.

There is always an alternative to using chems,you just have to look a little harder.

And sometimes pay more.But it is worth it.

flw duckie

#128939 March 3rd, 2005 at 07:59 AM
S
S
Hello again! wavey Actually, I'd like to go to organic methods, but I can never seem to find the products in the gardening centers. Where do you find them? I really don'tlike to use chemicals, but as a last resort, I will. My roses kept getting black-spot to the point they were losing most of their leaves, and I freaked out, hence the Ortho purchase. Got any suggestions or names of the organic products?
By the way, what kind of roses did you get? I've got the Chrysler Imperial, Tiffany, and a Joseph's Coat climbing rose. And I've been making eyes at a Don Juan climber at Lowe's! wink

#128940 March 3rd, 2005 at 08:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last year was my first attempt with roses, too, so I don't have much to offer, except to water them at the base so the foliage doesn't get wet, which could lead to fungus. eek

One of my mini-roses developed black-spot last summer that caused it to lose all its leaves, but it quickly rebounded, regaining its foliage and blooming a month later. It certainly wasn't anything I did to help! laugh

Good luck and let us know how your roses grow!

#128941 March 3rd, 2005 at 06:35 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I am by far a rose expert......

But
My roses kept getting black-spot to the point they were losing most of their leaves
but alot of that can be found in it's care....

#1. Keep the falling/black/spotted leaves away from the plant, if they fall to the ground,
pick them up, rake or use your hands at the base and remove the yucky foliage..
That promotes the disease and continues it over winter..
#2. Keep it open and airy, prune out the middle of the plant, keep branches flowing out and up ward away from the center...
When there's restricted air flow it keeps the disease in and moist area's...
#3. Try to keep the water off of the plant...
When hand watering keep it on their toes, always tell my kids *and mother* when they're watering to "Water their toes, NOT their nose.*
Keep the water on the roots/drip line.....

Weezie

#128942 March 3rd, 2005 at 06:58 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Also, do a FORUM SEARCH and type in roses..
***You'll get alot of extra's too but there's some good info on them, especially if you look
at the one's with the dates from last year,
summer/spring time....***

Bill\'s Info on Pruning Roses

Here's one..
rose\'s and pruning and info

Here's one...
Rose\'s and sucker growth

Another pruning and growth of rose\'s

Producing Flowers on Roses\'

I know there's more, I had a good conversation
with Barley on this... awhile back, I think in

See if you can find it, if not, let me know and I'll hunt for it!!!!!
I'll click my email notification and watch this thread.

Weezie

#128943 March 14th, 2005 at 05:20 AM
duckie Offline OP
OP Offline
wavey Thankyou Weezie.

I've been sick awhile, so all I've been doing on the computer is read all those good articles on roses.

I planted a climbing Queen Elizabeth 3 years ago.It was a total failure.
Not the plant,me.I was just ignorant about rose care.

Today I planted Tournament of roses and Tiffany with great confidence.'Cause now I know how to take proper care of them.

btw,Queen Elizabeth is still kickin'.Thank goodness roses are so much tougher than they look.

luv duckie

#128944 March 14th, 2005 at 11:37 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
*****Sheritoots*KiKi*
Go to this post and find some Organic
Products for pests and disease's....

FREE Products from Gardens Alive

Weezie

#128945 March 14th, 2005 at 11:45 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Duckie,
Sorry to hear you've been sick!!
That's never good to be down with something...
Hope you're feelin' back to your ole self
reallllllllllll soon!!!

rose's can be tricky little buggers'.......
And growing rose's can be even trickier!!!!
but if you follow a small set of rules or guidelines, they're really not too bad....

I like the litte one's, seem to be tolerant of me..
And I've heard the David Austin rose's are supposed to be quite hardy plants...

Here's some info on those rose's...
*free offer too, with a $$ certain amount ordered*

THE DAVID AUSTIN ROSE COLLECTION

Check out The rose Garden and The rose Gallery!!
OMGAWD!!! kissies

Weezie

#128946 March 15th, 2005 at 09:39 PM
oooohh weezie i went to that rose site and i gotta have some i ordered a catalog they have some beauties and i love luv roses thank for the link laugh

#128947 March 16th, 2005 at 07:46 PM
AV Queen
AV Queen
It is very possible to grow roses organically! grinnnn

I have so many pets that work in the gardens with me that I refuse to use ANY harmful chemical on any plant, rose, lawn or otherwise.

First, *try* to choose your roses wisely...I say *try* because I choose based on what calls to me, and that is usually NOT the best choice for organic growing, but hey! I like a challenge! grinnnn

If you plant them well, feed them well, keep them watered, and watch them closely for signs of pests or disease, you can prevent major problems...

You need to realize that you will never have the "perfect" rose bush...they will have a spot or two, and some bug-chewed leaves...but if you are okay with that, go for it!!!

#128948 March 17th, 2005 at 04:08 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
wavey Hello duckie. I am not an expert but have raised a few over the years. To start dig a rough ugly hole (be careful not to make a pot.) In the bottom I put a mixture of Texas Green Sand, Lava Sand and organic manure along with a little sugar to stmulate biological activity wet it good. I always place rose into hole making sure to plant at same level or a little above same level it was in the pot or box you got at the Nursery. I get my organic products at Calloways Nursery in Irving. Also lows and Home Depot handle the products I mentioned here. There are several web site for organic advise and products . Happy Gradening flw

#128949 March 20th, 2005 at 06:35 AM
Yes I know it sounds perfectly insane, but planting the roses still in the cardboard worked fine for me. I planted one, I think it was in December(warmish winters here) I took the top of the box off just last week. The rest of the box was rotted away, and happy day, no transplant shock. Not like that's much of a problem when they're dormant,but,better safe than sorry. Also the best advice I ever recived about roses and disease was very simple. Remove any leaves that are sickly looking. Throw them in the trash,Not The Compost Heap, And do this often,before what ever it has can spread. Also, if you can, water in the early morning the leaves have a chance to dry if you splash on them.

#128950 April 24th, 2005 at 01:01 AM
Hi Ducki,

i m a bit nervous this is the first time you know;well here it is:

in my garden i got a rose tree that belonged to one aunt and i don t know the name but it always flowers and beautifull.

don t like chem either ,so i read about naturel stuff i acould use and this year i ve tries the following...i know it s a bit early but my husband moved the tree and we had to replant it of course. so i did the following like i read somewhere:

garlic: so the smell of roses will be accentuated.

coffee: for the bugs

banana peel : so their colors will be accentuated.(believe it or not!)

so i ll keep you posted since this is my first year doin it.

signed : crazy Franny.

#128951 April 26th, 2005 at 05:57 AM
duckie Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Francine, wavey so glad to meet you.

May I call you crazy Frannie?(I Love that name)

Thanks for all your good ideas for my new roses.

But the coffee goes in me. grinnnn The grounds in the compost.

luv duckie

#128952 April 30th, 2005 at 12:01 AM
Hi Duckie! Found the site, thanks! As to what I know about roses...You should probably tear away at least a portion of the box, but don't damage the roots in the process. You should NEVER USE those chemical fungicides, they're deadly and carcinogenic, and the three-in-one sprays have have very deadly systemic insecticides that are taken up by the plant and may linger in the roses you pick. Copper based fungicides (I think one is Cocide) are fairly benign, Bordeau Mix is considered organic, as is sulfur, but awkward to apply (use a duster). Neem, an organic, is sold by Fertilome as Triple Action Plus at my local Wal-Mart. It's an effective fungicide/miticide/insecticide with reputedly very low toxicity. roses thrive in rich, well drained soil...compost as a mulch/fertilizer will help discourage fugus. Spraying a "tea" made of compost is said to be an excellent anti-fungal, too. Contrary to common wisdom, roses will tolerate some shade. Old-fashioned varieties are often more resistant to disease, as are rugosas and floribudas,and to my experience, the miniatures,as well. Hybrid Teas are often prone to disease, but if you gotta have it, get it. I have had a couple of roses just die for no reason within the first year, but I just planted again in the same spot and presto! Someone mentioned the Don Juan...supposed to be extremely trouble-free. By the way, all 5 or 6 of my own roses are cheapies from chain stores, and with no special care in planting or after, have done well. They have in common only great air circulation, and supplemental watering in really dry weather. I have a client with a climbing Peace that I planted, and it gets black spot severely every year during rainy weather. It invariably loses all of its leaves towards the end of the rainy season, but still produces a bounty of flowers spring and fall. I spray it for the black spot, but with rain three or 4 days a week, it's an uphill battle. I believe the variety and poor air circulation combine to cause this.
Don't deadhead roses late into the fall, it affects winter-hardiness.

#128953 April 30th, 2005 at 03:21 AM
duckie Offline OP
OP Offline
wavey Hey peppereater,Welcome

great advice.brb

#128954 April 30th, 2005 at 03:29 AM
duckie Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm back.Just checking out my moof factor.

Please tell us about the plants you grow at home.

hmm...peppers I'll bet.

The weather here has been so weird.I usually put out tomatoes and peppers on May 1st.No way this year.Way too cold.

I was just wondering if OK is having the same problems.

duckie

#128955 April 30th, 2005 at 04:09 PM
I'm always pushing the envelope...my dream is vegetables year-round. I put out a few tomatoes in March! Covered them one night when a freeze was predicted but didn't come, then left them uncovered the next night when no freeze was predicted, and, wham! Dead plants. Planted a bunch of tomatoes the first full week of April, and have only covered them once. No frost has come, but we had a close call just last night.
We always have so many warm days in the spring that cool season crops bolt...the brocolli I put out went to flowers 2 weeks ago. We've had numerous days in the 80's here, with cooler days here and there, but lot's of nights in the low 50's. The tomatoes are loving it, the peppers are just confused, and some corn I planted in early April is 4-5 inches tall. We live in one of the truly harshest environments here with only 3 constants...extreme winds, scorching summers and bermuda grass. My soil is sand, while other folks can have pure red clay. Insects are an enormous problem, but I spray only with reluctance because there are always ladybugs and other beneficials on my plants. I've been trying to garden on a large scale for 5 years, with limited success. Drought, a plague of grasshoppers, the near futility of amending sand into fertile soil...maybe in 5 more years I'll have it licked. But each year brings 1 or 2 boons that make it all worthwhile. The first year it was plenty of peppers for eating and pickling. I was always daring friends to eat pickled habaneros with me, the inspiration for my email handle. Last year it was lots of Brandywine and other tomatoes. What works one year doesn't the next.
that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger

#128956 April 30th, 2005 at 05:14 PM
Hey Duckie,

how ya doing here if the weather can clear up and make place for galarneau(old french expression for the sun,it s pronounce galarno)...anyway..enough for the french course.

with fun and good intentions it would me my honor if you d call me crazy franny..ha,ha.my husband Keith(listen to me like i got severals,no one i enough after 20 years.)..well he says that i got some of those strangest ideas sometimes,starting by the one of mariing him..ha,ha,...and so i came up with that funny nickname.but only here.one of the latest of my crazy ideas was to put along with everything i told ya bout a homone pill in my roses,this is the first year i try that and of course there not in bloom yet but i did it when we moved the sose tree,that s one Keith could nt believe..ha,ha...but soon after i could see branches forming and taking life...the pills were so small i put 4...of course they would let me tell you girl if that tree could be pregnent she would..ha,ha.

well me and all my blabing away,dont want to bore you but i just thought of something,don t know if you know dick van dyke but apparently he s from missouri also,you know where white plaine is.almost forget to ask you:i planted indoor some cucumbers aside an amarelys in one pot and aside a lily in another,should i remove it i suddenly thought the taste may be altered and sour.thank you.

thanks for listening to my long stories,have a good day.

crazy franny.

#128957 May 1st, 2005 at 06:51 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Frannie I could kiss you kissies Finaly someone that knows the benifit of banna peels and coffee grouns as well as old cold coffee(I never leave much of that). People are always telling me I'm nuts so I guess that make two of us. kissies
Jimmy

#128958 May 1st, 2005 at 12:31 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I do coffee grounds and egg shells.

#128959 May 1st, 2005 at 03:10 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
I do the egg shells in my compost pile. I alternate my coffee grounds so it doesnt over power the plants. About any trimmings from my kitchen goes in compost pile.

#128960 May 3rd, 2005 at 04:58 PM
Hi JV,

it s the other nut speaking to you from here shell before going to work;i m also very glad not to be the only one for the banana peel trick,yah,i looove old trick like that ,if you have any other to share ,thinka me.

as for the peak on the cheek,i ll take it thank you .

Have a good day,not much time going to work in a few minutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard