This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
*sigh*

Hi,

I planted 3 Hostas 2 nights ago. They were just a root system w/some shoots.

This morning I went out....and found 2 of the plants with their leaves laying in the dirt. It looked like someone came along with a scissors and cut them off. What happened??

Help..... confused

Annie

W
W
It was the bad critters. They drive me crazy those critters. Looken all inocent and cute by day but by night they are ravishing leaf crazed maniacs.

I have plenty of hosta if you want to trade or something. Just contact me if you are interested. Thea

PS - use baby powder to keep away those crazy critters. They don't like it.

P
OP Offline
P
Hi Thea,

Thanks for the answer! I was wondering about deer..but didn't see any tracks....

How come they didn't eat the leaves?? They just cut them off and left them. confused

This is my first experience w/Hostas...and everyone has told me how 'easy' they are.

Hmph. wink

Thanks again,

Annie

P
OP Offline
P
OH!

PS: What do I do w/the Baby Powder??

Annie laugh

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Annie,
I want to say a chipmunk, rodent???
Something little.......
I just started some squash seeds and that's about the same thing that happened........
Nipped the tiny tops, sawed it right off at the top of the stem.
Mine was inside a closed door to my basement.
???? confused ????
The piece of leaf was on the ground. Somethings seems after the seed eventually?

Weezie frown

W
W
Ok just sprinkle the powder around the plant. On it if it is big. around it if the plant is small. If that doesn't work I use a small transister radio under a bucket so the rain doesn't get at it.

Don't you worry we'll foil those critters! Please keep us posted

Sometimes I even use medicated powder if I am dealing with a larger and stronger plant. I used that on my daylillies. Which at first I found chewed to the ground. they are now fine and growing strong.

J
J
Annie,
I'm surrounded by woods, so I've got them all - deer, bunnies, chipmunks, raccoons, etc. The raccoons are buggers...I've found they like to dig up any new plants (even ones in elevated urns!) the night after I plant them, I assume because they think there are grubs or other bugs underneath. Sometimes their little claws tear up the plants pretty well. Not sure from your description whether this is what happened to your hostas. Anyway, my solution is to sprinkle a fat red line of cayenne pepper around each plant or bed after I plant. Nothing bothers them afterwards! One application is generally all it takes to frighten all the critters away for good. Good luck!
Julie

F
F
Squirrels and chipmonks are bad about digging up freshly disturbed dirt.
About a month ago i had a cammilia bush die. I pulled it up and the roots were all chewed off (mice). If i plant in that spot again, i'm going to dig a big hole and surround the entire plant with 1/4 inch wire mesh. I'd like to see them naw thru that!
Gardendreamer03@aol.com

Link Copied to Clipboard