This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#128658 December 21st, 2005 at 10:56 AM
OP Offline
I might be moving soon to ND or MN--near Winnipeg's Canadian border. Which city/town/state would be easiest to find A/P orA/R (Accounting) work?? What are the zones there?? I imagine my Brugs would have to come in every Fall??

Any tips on job hunting in these areas, finding a small 1 bdrm house with 1-2acres of land for rent, etc would be greatly appreciated and helpful in deciding which state/town I might
chose!!

Thanks!!
Bonnie

#128659 December 21st, 2005 at 11:10 AM
Bonnie, you and I are kind of in the same boat here. Stephen and I are planning on moving to Alaska and are trying to figure out which part we want to move to and such.

The first thing I would do would be to do a google for "realty in MN" or "realty in ND". You could also search for "land in...".

As far as work, Stephen has been using USAjobs to search for job openings...you may want to try that.

As for the zones, I'd probably look up a map, but I don't know much more....sorry I can't be of more help there. I'll post anything else that comes to mind in the next couple of days.

When are you looking to move? I would think the best time would be late spring early summer....at least that's the best time to move to Alaska.

#128660 December 21st, 2005 at 11:13 AM
Oh! Maybe take a week of vacation and fly into one of the airports there and rent a car and just spend the week "town hopping"....staying in a different town each day or every couple of days. Do you want a smaller town or a larger city? Also, what else do you want near you? A certain church, school, stores, malls??? All things to consider. Also, how far do you want to be from a grocery store or hospital? Are you going to mind driving a half hour to get to a decent shopping center or would you rather live 5 minutes from everything? I definately recomment "town hopping" if you could do it.

#128661 December 21st, 2005 at 11:14 AM
Stephen and I are planning on moving to Alaska
Hi Jen. wavey
May I ask why you'd like to move to Alaska? From looking at pictures and seeing it on TV, it is such a beautiful place!! but..BRRRRR..I think I'd have to hibernate with the bears in order to survive. wink
Christina

#128662 December 21st, 2005 at 11:18 AM
Bonie and Jenn both. After having moved to "new" and "unknown" cities twice in the last 3 years, I would advise going to the State Department of Education and looking for the best school in the area. Most of the Education boards will have lists of the schools and rate them, We have found that towns that have good schools are generally good towns to live in.

Next would be to search real estate in the area to see what is within your range to live in financially. Realtor.com is a good place for that.

#128663 December 21st, 2005 at 11:24 AM
Christina, Stephen's dad was stationed up there while he was in the Air Force and Stephen was born and lived there until he was 10. He misses it horribly. We went up there for our honeymoon and I totally fell in love. It was always in the plans to move up there and soon we will be getting a settlement from the accident that I was in back in March...guess where that's going!

Poor Alaska....it is sooooo stereotyped. It is not always cold in most of the state. The summer in Anchorage are quite pleasing...average tempuratures in the lower to mid 70's and 0% humidity most of the time. The winters are cold, but again, low humidity, so the wind doesn't feel like its going to cut right through you like it does here in PA where we live now.

#128664 December 21st, 2005 at 11:25 AM
We have used realtor.com to look for places up there....it does a pretty good job. Right now we are looking more at land since we are planning to build up there and live in an apartment during construction.

Link Copied to Clipboard