This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12862 December 10th, 2002 at 05:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am going to have to plant grass in my new yard. I am planning on doing some sprigging until I can afford some sod. I know that both centeped and bermuda are good, but which would be more hardy and weed resistant for this area (20 miles north west of Savannah Georgia)? Thanks!

#12863 December 26th, 2002 at 04:48 AM
A
A
Bermuda would be my choice. It is tough as nails, takes our southern heat well and grows from sprigs very quickly. It forms denser turf, and when well maintained, so it makes weed penetration tougher. Also, if you are a chemical fertilizer user, it is easier to find pre emergents here for bermuda than for Centipede or St Augustine.

#12864 January 23rd, 2003 at 05:56 PM
F
F
I'm familiar with both Centipede and Bermuda Grass. I live north of u (upstate SC).
About 8 yrs ago i sodded my yard with Centipede. I can say truthfully that i have no regrets.We have been thru about 4 years of drought (as u well know) and my centipede looks fabulous (that's with very little fertilizer and very little lime -i haven't really bothered with either because it was so hot and dry). It's a true warrior when it comes to drought. I don't have a sprinkler system and i never water it. It can be brown one day;rain, and be green the next- not kidding! Centipede is considered a very "maintenance-free" turf grass. Bermuda is considered a "high maintenance" turf (it does look good though).
The 1st few years i hooked a pump up at the creek and kept my yard watered. That was a mistake. I made it so delicious that the insects were thriving! i finally stopped that and let nature take it's course. By letting the grass turn brown a few times, the spit bugs didn't have a chance. That's the way it is with most all grasses.
The only serious threat i have experienced with my yard has been the June Beetle grubs. When i saw them flying around by the hundreds one day, i knew they had infested my turf.They weren't killing my grass but i knew with the drought, my grass wasn't 100%.

The bottom line is this---Bermuda is a very attractive turf, but requires more maintenace than centipede (fertilizing and liming several times a season). Centipede, is not as showy (still looks very good as long as u keep it mowed), very drought resistent, good in shade, and requires little or no fertilizer. Marketman25@aol.com

#12865 January 24th, 2003 at 05:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bob,
Thanks for the info. I hadn't quite seen it put that way. I was leaning toward centepede anyway, this pretty much seal it. Happy gardening!
Jiffy :p

Link Copied to Clipboard