This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#128396 April 4th, 2005 at 10:23 PM
M
mearow Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Howdy, new gal here from the Magnolia state. New to gardening as well as the forums. My partner and I started our gardening interests because we own birds and do not want to feed them or us for that matter all the pesticides etc on them. We are going to try our hands at organic gardening so wish us luck! I have loads of questions! I am looking forward to meeting everyone here!

#128397 April 5th, 2005 at 02:05 PM
Welcome to the board, Missy! Hope you have as much fun as I do here. grinnnn

Dianna

#128398 April 5th, 2005 at 02:31 PM
O
O
Welcome Missy, a lot of us here are organic gardeners. We'll be glad to help. Have you found any local organic fertilizer suppliers yet? You can order organic fertilizers by mail, but the shipping is expensive!

#128399 April 7th, 2005 at 09:44 PM
M
mearow Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the warm welcome!! I have not found any organic fertilizer dealers in my area but then again I had no clue you could get that!!! Heh clueless me thought a couple of horses and come compost would be enough. shk

I will start to look around but I do not have high hopes since our local feed store isn't that large. Maybe in one of the neighboring large cities I can find some. Are their particular brand names to look for or is a particular mixture or both? Heh sorry to bother already just new and I am so excited!!

#128400 April 8th, 2005 at 12:02 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Missy,
Heh sorry to bother already just new and I am so excited!!

Never to worry about that, we were all new
gardener's at some point in time, and glad
to help other new gardener's and their plants,
"survive and thrive"...

Alot of Organic fertilizers are Alfalfa Meal,
Bone Meal, Blood Meal, Cottonseed Meal, Epsom Salts, Fish Emulsion, Fish Meal, Kelp,
Manure's ~Cow, Chicken, Horse, Rabbit, Bat, and Worm....., Soybean Meal...

I'd ask your local feed store first... and if they don't carry it, which direction maybe you can find it..
Most Wally~Worlds *oh, sorry, Wal~Marts* carry them to....
Or some local nurseries for plants may be able to help you in a certain direction too!!!

Hope some of this helps,
And do not hesitate to ask gab any more questions teech !!!

Weezie

#128401 April 8th, 2005 at 07:23 AM
O
O
Harmony, Fertrell, and Earth-rite are 3 brands of general purpose organic fertilizer you could look for. I'm currently using Harmony because I have a local supplier and it's cheaper than Fertrell. I buy it from an organic cooperative. They grow organic vegetables and fruits and sell shares (both working and nonworking shares) to people who don't garden themselves.

Used to buy Earth-rite from an amishman near Oakland, MD when we lived just across the state line in WV.

#128402 April 8th, 2005 at 03:01 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Mushroom compost is good too,
if you can find it...

Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard