This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I am already going crazy, and it's not even winter yet. Moving in 2 weeks and feel desperate to plant SOMETHING, thinking about starting to transplant some small trees and shrubs NOW. Somebody stop me!!!

So where are you moving to and where from? I know the feeling about wanting to plant something now. i just planted some more tulips. When it is winter and to cold to plant I will take al my garding magizines and "plant my garden" using pictures. preety lame but it gives me an oppotunity to see how thing look. But in Georgia when do you get frost? Do you have time to trasplant anything?

OP Offline
Hi Moondance, thanks for replying. I live in Macon, Ga. zone 8 and will be moving about 40 miles N.E. of here. I think I might have waited a
little to late to transplant even though I still have a lot blooming such as roses, daylilies,salvias,sweet potatoe vines,elephant ears. It is supposed to be 34 tonight, the weather here has been warm until a couple of days ago. Do you think it would hurt to move small trees, shrubs and roses after they go dormant. I have heard it both ways. Any advice appreciated and I like your idea of pictures when it is to cold to plant clp

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wavey hi steph! i'm just northwest of savannah, and my hubby is in macon tonight and tomorrow for a meeting! and we are cold here too!! where are you moving to?

I've heard it both ways to. I transplant after they have stopped blooming for roses with enough time for them to get the roots established. Having sid that I have also moved them when they were blooming and for me atlest doing it after they were done did them much greter good than otherwise. I believe that you can move trees/shrubs etc IF you will have a couple of weeks without frost and be okay. The roots need time to get settled. BUT check the garden basic site too-great advice!

OP Offline
Thanks Moondance, appreaciate the advice! thumbup

I just started all my herbs today to grow indoors through the winter. I have basil, oregano, cilantro, thyme and savory. Seeing them grow every day and snipping off a piece as needed helps me with the winter blues.
Christina

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Yeppers the herbs are great for keeping my spirits up. And then the christmas roses require two weeks of 70 degree temps and then down to the 30's for a month or so. So, if your going to do some of those you could start them inside now and then put them outside for the cold requirement. Of course they take forever to sprout lol. I'm a glutton for patience punishment sometimes.

Link Copied to Clipboard