This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#128111 January 27th, 2005 at 06:54 AM
4Ruddy Offline OP
Wild Woman
OP Offline
Wild Woman
We finally got to see the Neuro~surgeon today...(whew)
He didn't schedule the surgery today...he wanted us to "talk" about our options. (like what does he think we have been doing for the past 4 WEEKS wwaiting to see him!)
Options:
1. Complete disc replacement
2. Pins & screws (disc fusion)
3. 4 months total bedrest shk

Well, the replacement is a very "rough" & difficult surgery, they go through the abdomen AND they don't even do it here. The closest place would be Louisiana. THe replacement would also have to be re-done in 10 years. A long hospital stay and longer recovery period.
The fusion, although there are pins & screws involved, has a much shorter recovery time, less hospital stay and could last forever. Although it would put more pressure on the above discs...there would be a very significant pain reduction.
4 months complete bed rest (NOT IN MY HOUSE!!!!)
(just kidding...kinda) would probably do nothing. Then minute he got out of bed and returned to daily living tasks...he would be just having to deal with this again.
They put a tinge unit on him today hoping to zap some of the pain. He absolutely hates it...It is only aggravating the pain. I will be surprised if he hasn't thrown it out the window by morning.
So, we really only have one option...the disc fusion. They will schedule the surgery sometime next week.Just thought I would let you guys know what we found out today. cool

#128112 January 27th, 2005 at 07:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gee Vanessa, none of those options sound appealing. Can't imagine how difficult it must be to have to make that decison! My thoughts are with you both!

Cricket

#128113 January 27th, 2005 at 07:26 AM
Yeah, none of those option sounds real appealing, but then, neither does living with chronic debilitating back pain. We'll all be thinking of you! I've heard that having those pins put in really helps.

#128114 January 27th, 2005 at 07:14 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yes, Vanessa, Thanks for the update.......
I have heard about the pins too, and did help someone I knew, it helped him alot, actually so much that he felt better, and like a jerk and NOT LISTENING TO ADVICE went out ski~doing 4 wks after the back surgery and screwed his back up reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllly bad after that.
So, have him go slow, and not over do...
and he should be up and around and doing great soon...

Weezie

#128115 January 27th, 2005 at 08:49 PM
4Ruddy Offline OP
Wild Woman
OP Offline
Wild Woman
We have heard a lot of positive things about the pins/screws as well...we are encouraged! I don't think we have to worry about him sking afterwards...he will be happy to be able to walk & lay down...hasn't slept well in almost 2 months now because he can't lay down for over an hour at a time.So, as crazy as it seems, we are kinda looking forward to it!

#128116 January 28th, 2005 at 05:47 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
4 months complete bed rest (NOT IN MY HOUSE!!!!)
(just kidding...kinda) would probably do nothing. Then minute he got out of bed and returned to daily living tasks...he would be just having to deal with this again
I agree...it would probably come right back.
And, complete bed rest means COMPLETE bed rest.
For most people, that would involve either being strapped to a bed with a straight jacket on, or totally sedated 24/7. I can't imagine complete bed rest really happening. (Guess that's why I still have complications from my hysterectomy...didn't follow that complete bed rest rule...or any of the other ones.)

Hope all goes well... kissies

Cindy

#128117 January 28th, 2005 at 06:35 AM
4Ruddy Offline OP
Wild Woman
OP Offline
Wild Woman
Hhmmm...totally sedated 24/7.........now there's a man I can live with! cool

#128118 January 28th, 2005 at 08:48 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
ROFLMAO! ! !
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh thumbup

#128119 January 28th, 2005 at 02:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh laugh Too Funny Vanessa! laugh laugh

G~Mom grinnnn

#128120 March 13th, 2005 at 08:53 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Hi Vanessa wavey
Wondering how hubby is doing Duh
kit

#128121 March 14th, 2005 at 06:50 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I think they're still on their cruise right now!!!
They should be back any day now!!!
(*I can't frown remember gab said the trip was??
7~10 days?????

Hope he's feeling well, and Vanessa's having
a greaaaaaaaaaaati time!!!!

Weezie

#128122 March 14th, 2005 at 02:27 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
If he needs pins it has to be done. But from personal experience I would add the following advice. One) Don't gain wait. Two) If you have had the situation for awhile like I did. When I felt much better the first thing I tried to do was go back to my earlier level of activity DON'T. Increase your level of activity alittle at a time otherwise the pain rears it's ugly head again. It took me years to get on the right side of that advice. And if you are like most people myself included that I have talked to the pain comes back for a visit after about one year but It doesn't stay. Hope you have all the luck in the world with your surgery.

#128123 March 14th, 2005 at 07:55 PM
Well, I can only add the support and advice of a spouse. My DH went through a VERY violent/traumatic surgery and pulled through with flying colors. But it was pretty close to the worst 14 hours of my life!!!!

When it's all over, take a moment to excuse yourself from your loving supporters and go have an excellent cry. cool

#128124 March 16th, 2005 at 05:13 AM
4Ruddy Offline OP
Wild Woman
OP Offline
Wild Woman
We are back from the cruise and he is more than READY to have this taken care of! We have gone over and over the "not going to over~do" thing! I just insist on it...I NEED his help with the baby WAY too much for him to mess up after getting this fixed. His surgery is Thursday the 17th (Happy St. Patty's day ti him)at 7 am. What we had planned so well is falling apart. We now at the last minute have no sitter for Peanut that day...so I will be chasing him around the hospital all day! YIPPEEEE!!! eek And, I had planned to stay the night with him (he is such a baby)(like most men)oops! but now will have to take the toot home and then drive back to the hospital the next morning, although I thought about renting a room...but can't really justify doing that since the hospital is only an hour away. Oh, well, it will all come out in the wash!

#128125 March 16th, 2005 at 06:38 AM
kissies I will think of you the second I wake up!

#128126 March 16th, 2005 at 08:08 AM
Rent a room. You'll feel better knowing you'll be closer. And you'll also be thankful to have somewhere private to go if you feel the stress getting to you too much.

#128127 March 16th, 2005 at 04:40 PM
E
E
Prayers going up. My neice just had major back surgery, they discovered spinal fluid leak in her spine. What a mess, they rebuilt all of that and some disks. Another one had the pin thing, he walks and is happy he did it, but still every once in awhile he hurts, not like he did, but still.
I hope and pray that yours will be good to go when it is done. Let us know. I will be thinkin on him and you.
wink
Elfie

#128128 March 17th, 2005 at 04:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you are probably about an hour into the surgery right now... or an hour into the prep... i'm praying for you... my hubby will get the schedule for his surgery soon (i hope), he met the neuro surgeon tuesday. let us know... we are praying for you!

#128129 March 17th, 2005 at 04:18 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I was just hunting this topic down to send my prayers too Jiff!!
You beat me to it!!! :p

Sending angell angell angell
May WATCH over your hubby and his doctor's hands!
angell angell angell

Keep us posted!

Weezie

#128130 March 20th, 2005 at 07:14 AM
4Ruddy Offline OP
Wild Woman
OP Offline
Wild Woman
Thank you! Thank you! thank you! cool
Your prayers were HEARD!!!! The 4 hour surgery went exceptionaly well...the Neuro-surgeon came bouncing out of the OR and said that he thought that hubby would feel 10 years younger once he recovers from the operation. (Hhmm...if that is true, then I need back surgery)They brought him to the room and he just looked pitiful...huge drainage tube, swollen eyes...etc...so I just couldn't leave. He has really done exceptionaly well,up and walking the night of surgery. He is allowed to stand or lay down and can only sit for 30 minutes at meal time...so he just wanders around aimlessly. He can already tell a HUGE difference in the pain. Even though he is in a lot of pain from the actual surgery...he has not had ANY of the pain that he felt before surgery.YIPEEEEE! I will have him back on that tiller before you know it. It was just such a huge success.....thank you ALL again for your thoughts & prayers. I am totally exhausted so going to try to get a nap. cool

#128131 March 20th, 2005 at 03:48 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I will have him back on that tiller before you know it.
frown frown frown gab on his progress crit !!!

Weezie

#128132 March 20th, 2005 at 05:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so glad it went well. i have to show my husband this post. he will talk to the surgeon on monday to see what they can do for him. and weezie, you know, a self-propelled tiller is actually easier on the back than a rider? because of the bouncing... the tiller you walk behind.

#128133 March 20th, 2005 at 06:56 PM
4Ruddy Offline OP
Wild Woman
OP Offline
Wild Woman
Hey Jiff...I wish I could send you our Neuro-surgeon...he is a JEWEL!!! I just adore him...he has made all of this SO much easier. Not only a great surgeon, but just a wonderful person.He gave hub all kinds of written info so he would know exactly what was going on. I hope they will put your hubby on the orthofix after his surgery...it is a "belt" that is a spinal fusion system. He has to wear it 4 hours every day but it helps the bone fuse much quicker. You can't even tell it is doing anything.
And...I have a Mantis tiller so he will be behind it before to long! It is a BREEZE to run. It only wieghs about 20lbs. But right they told him NOT to lift anything more than a gallon of milk. He picked up a half gallon of milk this morning and said it was a chore...the baby isn't quite understanding why he can't pick him up, but he will be able to before long I am sure!

#128134 March 20th, 2005 at 07:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thanks for the info. if you think of anything else i should know ahead of time, let me know so i can fill the hubby in. i did send him the link to this post so he can read it all himself. will be good for him to see i'm actually doing something on here laugh laugh laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard