This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#127912 October 13th, 2003 at 05:48 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Papito, Do you do Composting??
I was doing a quick read through on that,
I LOVE COMPOST AND COMPOSTING!!
Catlover calls me the compost queen!!
I like that title....

Do you do any type???
Both Catlover and I were wondering a while
ago about the vermaculture. vermaculture
composting

I have 5 bins, 1 doble barreled compost
tumbler and 2 large piles in the back 40....
I am into it big time. I'd have more bins,
but my husband frowns apon it. Because we live in town and neighbors can see some of them.
Just curious what you're thoughts were on them?

#127913 October 13th, 2003 at 03:42 PM
P
P
Weezie & Catlover,

I think I mentioned to Catlover that I have a very limited gardening space, that's why I do mostly container gardening. We live in a cluster community. The neighbors from each side of the house are only about 10 ft.+ from our mutual fences. As you can see it not practical to do any backyard composting, although I did once.

If I were to do any serious type of composting it would be the vermiculture type. No mess, no smell that the neighbors can complain about and requires very little space. I even thought about growing worms (not red worms) and castings for homebase business. I am still thinking about it.

#127914 October 13th, 2003 at 04:25 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Oh, if you do, let me in on it!! (The secrets.)
I've read up on that, Sometimes it can be tricky,
The timing of bedding replacement, the "juice" from the bottom must be taken into consideration.
Temp, light, (I've heard they could crawl
out if something about the lighting is
too bright?? They like it dark????)
Oh, I've read so much, but reading
and doing are two different things.
I think my main hangup is where to place them, I've even heard under a sink????? Not sure about the size then.... My backroom/mudroom, is not insulated too well and winter time it can get a bit cold, and that's when I'm looking mainly for the vermaculture. My composts go quite frozen in the winter time, and my scraps just build up in the compost bins, come spring when it's wet it does take a bit of magic to get it going without the smell. I'm getting pretty good at what to do but still wouldn't like it to happen at all.... Seems like if I were to do the scraps there in the winter it would be the best of both worlds. I'd like to talk to someone who really worked with them, and get some good relyable "tricks" before I do it.
After all, when I do regular composting, no little creatures are involved so to speak, I know there's bugs and such, but they take care of themselves without me... The worms are relyant on you to make their environment compatable to themselves... Like temps, drowning, enough food, etc. I do worry about that!!!

So, any tid bit's of info you can find out I'd be interested in... I know Karen would be too!!! kit

gab Weezie gab

#127915 October 13th, 2003 at 06:29 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Yep ditto!!!
kit Catlover kit

Link Copied to Clipboard