This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#127580 September 14th, 2005 at 08:16 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
This is the time to go about weeding, clearing, and getting the soil ready for next spring.

I'm looking around for things I can clip as I go by on the sidewalk. Things that are just hanging over the path and are going to be clipped anyway.

Well, it pays to be out early in the morning - Jeff has a summer cold so I went out to pick up the things from the grocery - left early while it wasn't too hot (it's sweltering now at 9:15 a.m.)

I was lucky - everybody's clipping, up rooting and thinning - I came back with a lovely little crop of 'something'. The lady that was thinning had just filled a cardboard box with it - she was pleased as punch that I took it off her hands - it left room in her box for more.

This morning? Ha! Out there to plant my newbies, then make my rounds of the neighbourhood before the disposal trucks come 'round.

#127581 September 15th, 2005 at 11:43 AM
You sound like me. I have no problems asking people around here for cuttings or their trimmings. My husband gets so embarrased when I tell him I am going to ask so and so for their whatever. This is a small country town, yes everyone knows everything and everyone here - kind of wierd for me coming from the Metropolitan city life, but getting used to it. There is this lady down the road that has a beautiful orange colored rose, I just gotta have a cutting -- I have to wait when he is not around so I can go there and ask her. I think that would just be lovely in my "growing" rose garden.

#127582 September 15th, 2005 at 05:32 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh! Ha ha! Wait till's he's not around - I like that.

A cutting - well, I'm not really sure how to do it - I've never tried to do a cutting from a rose bush.

#127583 September 17th, 2005 at 01:44 AM
Carly, I wish you were close, I have so many plants that need dividing that I am in need of making more beds just to have a place to put them. I never had any luck with rooting hormone on cuttings.

#127584 September 21st, 2005 at 12:20 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
That would be nice - we have clubs here in Toronto, but I don't go to them - I'm kinda' off groups lately.

But I do make a point of mooching stuff.

We got some mint the other day - Jeff brought it home from up the street where the lady with the nicest garden on the block was thinning.

She just uprooted a lot of cosmo - didn't know I wanted some - mine didn't work out this year.

Hey! This reminds me - it's Wednesday - I gotta' go see what gets thrown out - the trucks are picking up garden waste.

I'm supposed to be resting with my sore leg . . . grrrrr . . .

I'll send Jeff out looking.

Link Copied to Clipboard