This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#127475 December 4th, 2005 at 10:16 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
What is the best gift you have ever recieved?

I'm looking for ideas for my Aunt...with a $50 limit.

#127476 December 4th, 2005 at 10:29 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Well..Barley..I just have to tell you that my favorite gifts have been the ones that people have made for me. I have gotten some gifts from my sis that were trips to the hair salon or a massage that were nice...but my faveorite ones still are the wonderful gift baskets that have been put together with homemade & personalized gifts. Last year our oldest daughter made me a sweatshirt that said... Mammer's is loved by.... and then had pictures of little kiddos with all my grand babies names under them...I TREASURE that! One year i made one for my dad that had a big pic of his "grandpuppy" (our dog) on it...along with paw prints...it was a hoot! Even people that are not particularly crafty can do some of the nicest things...so, I probably wasn't much help here... :rolleyes:

~V~

#127477 December 4th, 2005 at 10:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What sort of things does she like Barley??

#127478 December 4th, 2005 at 10:35 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I just have to tell you that my favorite gifts have been the ones that people have made for me.
That's what I'm hearin'...
Whenever I paint someone's house on a sawblade or something, which costs like 4 bucks for the sawblade...they like it better than anything I could have bought.

I made my dad a wooden thingy last year with the pictures of all the aircraft carriers he was on in the Navy...it cost 3 bucks...but he got tears in his eyes when he saw it.

#127479 December 4th, 2005 at 10:40 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
We are by no means close. That's my problem. This year the family decided to draw names, and I got her. I haven't even spent time with her in like 3 years. :rolleyes:

#127480 December 4th, 2005 at 11:02 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Ewe...well...maybe a gift certificate to a spa is in order then!

But, you could always do a basket of goodies...with a gift certificate in it...

I could make some moldy rolls for ya! Duh

~V~

#127481 December 4th, 2005 at 11:03 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Hey, green is good! laugh

#127482 December 4th, 2005 at 11:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Marks family does jingle gifts too, but they have us write some ideas down of things we'd like within the 30 buck limit....

Hmmmmm.....I'm thinking.

#127483 December 4th, 2005 at 02:30 PM
If she cooks, then a basket of common spices is good. People go thru them fast if they like to cook.

If she is a relaxer, then a basket of bath stuff is good, including soaps, lotions and candles.

#127484 December 4th, 2005 at 10:27 PM
We had a "pick the name out of a hat" at a family/extended family Chanukah party 2 years ago. Amy drew a 30 year old who we really know nothing about. We got him a really nice, large, inexpensive mug and put a gift certificate from Starbucks in it.

When he opened it, he wanted to know which one of his very close cousins got it for him, as it was the perfect gift! thumbup

We were thrilled, of course! grinnnn

#127485 December 5th, 2005 at 12:47 AM
Barley, for Pete sake give her a HOUSE plant! Everybody likes house plants (even the people who love them to death... & if they kill them, it's THEIR fault, not yours, but they're enjoyed while they last!)

You also have beautiful little succulents sitting around there; make her a living wreath! (If you have a cynic in your fam who keeps a silent tally of value, that notion goes right out the window when a gift is hand-made.) Put a Christmas bow on it for now, to be taken off after the holidays. (I have lots of Hen & Chicks if you need some for larger "focal points" here & there on the wreath... we could meet half-way on I-5 at the rest stop. I also have sheet Moss. ) Too bad you gave me your lovely African Violets... you could have made up a nice planter for her!

I just don't think you can go wrong with plants, & "old people" are hard to buy for. Other ideas include Long Distance Phone cards, Gift Certificates for restaurants, or Movie tickets. idea (Hey... include some of your flower seeds in personalized seed packets!)

#127486 December 5th, 2005 at 01:17 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
Patty, I have several people who will be recieving plants, but she is not one of them...

Talk about the black thumb of death! She's scary bad! :rolleyes:

The coffee is a great idea, and the basket of lotions and stuff.

Link Copied to Clipboard