This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#126848 September 26th, 2005 at 03:31 AM
OP Offline
Does anyone here knit with ribbon yarn?
I started a narrow scarf with it last winter, and am now trying to get it done, as the colors are autumn colors BUT... the yarn keeps twisting so badly that it's very difficult to use.

Was wondering if anyone has any solutions for this, to keep it straight?

#126849 October 3rd, 2005 at 06:42 PM
Hi Lynne ~

Sorry I didn't see this before, but... if you are still having trouble with the ribbon yarn twisting, you could thread it through a straw which would keep it straight between the skein and your needles, provided that you didn't pull out too great a length at one time.

Merme

#126850 October 3rd, 2005 at 09:58 PM
OP Offline
What a terrific idea, Merme!

So good to see you posting!
I knew I could count on you to know what to do!
It's too late for the project I'm doing now, as I don't want another knot in it, but I'm thinking of making my daughter's flute teacher a scarf from it also and this will be great!

Thanks!

#126851 October 15th, 2005 at 05:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lynne, i crochet with ribbon, but let it slightly twist to give fullness to what i am crocheting. but, all i usually make out of them are "bun holders" for when the girls were in dance, and had to wear their hair up.

#126852 October 21st, 2005 at 02:04 AM
wavey Hi crochet-ers! I have a non-crochet question: Does anyone here do sewing on a machine? I am in need of extra bobbins for my RICCAR 3400 (bought it in late 1980's) and can't find any that fit. Thought maybe -- Just Maybe !! -- there was someone out there who can tell me where to find them. The plastic ones at the store are the right diameter, but are domed on the ends and too fat for the bobbin case. Maybe one of you has an old machine and wants to get rid of it and the bobbins. Let me know! Thanks, wink

By the way, did anyone see that news report the other night about the young men in a correctional youth facility who are crotheting hats and blankets etc. and making those fleece tie-blankets for the poor? It was the BEST story I have ever seen on the news. These guys just sitting around with their skeins and hooks, chatting and relaxing just like their grandmothers! Unbelievable. They LOVE it, and are NOT embarrassed. What a neat way to calm the trouble souls of at-risk youth.
thumbup clp

Thanks,
Janet

#126853 October 21st, 2005 at 02:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
janet, what a great story! i hadn't heard it. and, if you check some of the specialty shops they have the flat metal bobbins like you are talking about. my walmart even sells them.

#126854 October 21st, 2005 at 03:03 AM
Hi Jiffymouse,

Thanks for the answer. Well, I tried Wal-Mart but the ones they have are either too big around or too small around or too something else. The Riccar evidently is not as standard sized as the Singer or other brands. I even tried Jo-Ann Fabrics, which I figured would have EVERYTHING. I think I'll contact the place where I bought the machine, back in California. I wonder if they're still around. .... hmmm.. idea

Janet

Link Copied to Clipboard