This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12640 July 1st, 2003 at 11:07 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Why would my zuchini plant produce small fruit that turns yellow and rots before it gets big? I cant seem to get any good fruit?

#12641 July 1st, 2003 at 11:42 AM
D
OP Offline
D
They turn yellow on the flower side first and show signs of shriveling up, gradually the whole thing just kind of shrivels up an falls off.

#12642 July 1st, 2003 at 11:46 AM
B
B
Hi Don,
I've learned with zuchini that you have to water the plants carefully, use a soaker hose instead of a regular sprinkler. The plant should be watered near the base not on the top. I'm not an expert, that's just what I read on this web page. I'm growing some zuchini and are waiting for some produce!

--Bunny

#12643 July 1st, 2003 at 11:50 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the tip, Bunny. If that is your real name...were you in the Navy back in the early 80's?

#12644 July 1st, 2003 at 01:41 PM
I
I
be careful what you wish for once they start producing and they will you'll have more than you know what to do with.

#12645 July 3rd, 2003 at 08:32 AM
B
B
No Bunny isn't my real name, but Talarico is!! I hate rabbits! Bunny was my Grandpa's nickname for years and years. He died about 15 years ago but was a great gardner and recycler.

As far as the zuchini goes, mine are taking over my small garden. I had to take down part of the fence surrounding my garden so these things could have more room! Ugh! Iowa Dahlia, your right! But I still would like to get at least one zuchini off these things before I give up!

By the way, "Don Thompson", is THAT your REAL name??? :rolleyes: Just kidding.

Rock on everybody.
--Bunny T.

#12646 July 3rd, 2003 at 08:39 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Don't know much about this other than if you water from the top you WILL end up with powdery mildew. If that happens I cut those leaves out and that helps prolong the life of the plant. As far as the rotting ends... kinda sounds like blossum end rot. Zucchini are best when real small(more tender and less pithy when about the length of your hand and small around) so maybe picking them earlier would help??????? Try and keep the moisture level steady.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Zucchini lovin Catlover

#12647 July 3rd, 2003 at 10:19 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Yes, Don is my real name. I wish my plants would be that prolific! I used to live in the Northeast and never had any problme with zuchini. Ever since moving to the NW, I get the same thing year after year. They dont even get to be 5 inches long and they begin to turn yellow where the blossom is attached and next thing you know the yellowing is spread over the entire fruit so I pick it off an throw it away.

I will try the moisture stabilization...hard to do in the NW when it is either very dry or very wet....never a middle.

#12648 July 3rd, 2003 at 10:26 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hello Don,
I've enclosed a picture, is this what your zucchini looks like?

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/POW/2002/July_10.htm

Let me know!!!
Weezie

#12649 July 3rd, 2003 at 10:30 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Here's the cause if that's the picture.
http://www.uwex.edu/ces/cty/marinette/ag_hort/Pest_Blossom_End.html

Please let us know!!!

Where in the NE did you live????????

I had that, I am trying a new way to grow???

I'll post as I go along with testing...

Stick around and maybe we can figure out how to keep a hold of it!
Weezie wink

P.S. Go to a post I posted on recipes from the garden......... I put some in there...
Do YOU have any to share with us?????
I love zucchini!!!

#12650 July 15th, 2003 at 12:34 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Yes this is exactly what it looks like

#12651 July 15th, 2003 at 12:37 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Sorry about the delay in getting back to this. I am from Northern NH (Berlin area) and also lived in Wilbraham Mass for a while.

The end rot is exactly the problem. I have tried to water it more often and deeper and that MAY be helping somewhat. You guys are all great help! Thanks!

#12652 July 17th, 2003 at 11:05 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Deep watering everyother day is working great. I also added a bit of Vitamin b starter fertilized to the base of the plant

#12653 July 17th, 2003 at 11:56 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Alright Don,
Thank~You for your posted updates!!
We love to hear the progress, trial and errors and all. Thank~you!
(Even I haven't been keeping up with my updates...)

Have you gotten any fruits yet?

Do you have any recipes for that zucchini that's going to be coming in faster than you know what to do with it?? You better share some recipes if you do something special with them.....

For my zucchini's, I did a raised bed, covered the beds with several different variety's of landscape fabric. Some more like plastic, some medium think fabric and some very thin fabric.
The Zucchini is under the medium and so far seems to be doing good. Got lot's of fruits started.... No end rot, but I do have a few cucumber beetles. But I'm winning the non~pesticide war with them, their no. are few. But I also put upside down juice/milk containers next to them, and buried them 1/2 way into the dirt, and water into those. So, no splashing dirt on to the plant. And all is healthy so far, I say I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Again, Thanks for the update. Send Recipes!!
Weezie wink

#12654 July 18th, 2003 at 03:27 PM
B
B
Hi Don and Weezie,
I had several fruit that rotted off of my zuchini plants but I finally grew one! I just got it off 2 1/2 pounds! Yeah, my first zuchini. My wife is going to make some kind of fake apple pie with it?? Don't ask for the recipe, I don't have a clue except it doesnt' have apples and it does have zuchini.

Bye smile
--Bunny T.

Link Copied to Clipboard