This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#126351 November 6th, 2005 at 01:05 AM
AV Queen
OP Offline
AV Queen
How did the showing go? Did you get to take a short nap?
Duh

#126352 November 6th, 2005 at 01:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've been wondering about that too......I sure hope it went well, and that you'll get to stay.

#126353 November 6th, 2005 at 01:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hope it wasn't too stressful for you.

Praying that you can keep your home angell

#126354 November 6th, 2005 at 06:50 AM
Hope you're not fretting about whether or not you may have to move, you know we've got a "plan B" all figured out and it would be very beneficial to us both!

#126355 November 6th, 2005 at 08:44 AM
Today was a pretty awful day, so I appreciate all of your concern and interest.

I did as much as I could, with Maxi's help, but I know it wasn't in "showing" condition... not according to the standards the realty experts set for optimum salability.

Even so, my landlord got mad about the "battic" my friends and I made in the never-used-goes-to-nowhere-hallway. I had asked my friends to be careful to NOT block the door at the far end because in case of dire emergency, that's how we would exit -- me on my butt of course as it isn't handicapped accessible. Anyway, my friends did block that door with some stuff.

SO... landlord, gentleman (!) that he always is said "You have to throw that stuff out! If there was a fire and you couldn't get out, I WOULD BE RUINED! I WOULD BE RUINED and you know how much I've tried to help you!"

Interesting that he didn't say "you and Maxi are in danger" but "I would be ruined!" Interesting too that he claimed how much he's helped us. Helped? What did he mean by that, I'd like to know? He gets a handsome rent for this unit faithfully paid on time and in full each month. He gets a tenant who lives quietly, causes no trouble, cares for the grounds, has upgraded the interior, never complains or nags him in any way... It seems to me that as an owner he's had it pretty good. Wish I'd had it that good when I was a landlord!!

The realtor was unahppy with the interior -- not by anything I've done, but by the things he's neglected to do.

Looking at my kitchen, she said "Wow! I haven't seen walls like this in decades -- not since they were popular in the 1950's!"

He told a fib "Oh, I don't know when this was remodeled!"

He knows perfectly well the kitchen was done last in the late 1950's and the downstairs (my) bathroom was done in the early 1970's because we've discussed it.

By the way, my kitchen walls are covered in that really hideous cardboard original style laminate -- cardboard with a thin layer of shiny color. In this case it is blue in some areas and yellow in others. This was always mounted on walls with metal strips along the edges to hold it in place, like a large scale grid. And, because it is cardboard, any nail hole or damage is permanent. So when I moved in, I only hung stuff where there were holes already, but even so, I couldn't cover them all.

Ditto with the inexcusable kitchen floor he's promised repeatedly to replace.

Ditto ditto with the dining room carpet that he knew was stained when I moved in and also promised to replace.

The realtor sucked in her breath with joy when she saw our new family room my friends had done for me in June. That IS such a pretty place and miles ahead of the rest of the apartment.

And, she was not happy about the miniscule bathroom, in spite of the owners insistance that it could be doubled in size by knocking out the backwall into the useless closet and hallway. So why hasn't he done it?

So she ended the visit by telling him that the market is poor right now... it is a real "buyers" market, but no one is buying.

His attitude stinks, it really does. He is resentful at everyone else for decisions he has made and that, palies, has never made sense to me!

For instance... he keeps insisting that he and his wife's biggest dream is to own a single family home.

So they bought an apartment building in Portland and moved into one of the apartments. They rent the other units to party-types and then get really angry at all the noise and their lack of space and privacy.

So they bought this property here, then decided to not move in but to continue to use it as a rental.

So then he pulled a silly little trailer into the back yard so they could live here in the summer time.

So during the summer, when they are camping out in the back, using the hose for showers, using the lawyers bathroom upstairs, not having fans or a/c, he sits back there, drinking and getting resentful that the kid and I are in his "palace". That's actually what he calls it when he knocks on my door, intoxicated, telling me he wants to live here himself.

Then when it's time to sign a new lease, he renews it. Resentful.

Now he's acting all hard jawed and resolute.

It's hard to be sympathetic toward him as he makes his own difficulties, you know?

Merme

#126356 November 6th, 2005 at 09:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Geez, I feel for you Merme....I had a landlord like that...You literally had to light a fire under their butts to get them to come and do anything....

Sounds like a trying day to say the least.

#126357 November 7th, 2005 at 05:40 AM
Sorry about the problems Merme
I have a land lord like that, I understand.

Duh

#126358 November 7th, 2005 at 06:19 AM
Geez, Merme, he sounds awful. Can't you just refuse to answer the door when he comes around drunk to b**ch? Certainly the law would be on your side in that. Sorry it's been a bad weekend. frown

Link Copied to Clipboard