This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#125936 August 14th, 2005 at 12:19 PM
OP Offline
Hello all gardeners. I am here to post a question to you all, any may return a reply and I would be happy to hear your views on my thought here.

I believe the word 'organic' to mean .... without any unnatural additives to help in the growth of a plant.

So, in stating this, I do not think manure from cows, sheep, pig, or any other animal who may not be fed completely organically grown foods to be manure that is 'organic'. Yet, sooo many companies are selling manures from animals whom they have nooo idea of what that animal has been fed. Animals foods may also be, as we know, genitically altered. This food is eaten by the animal, exhausted as manure, which we may buy and use on our own gardens. Thus ... or grown foods are then not organic in my humble opinion.

I do not agree with using any form of animal matter on my garden that grows anything that a human will consume. Therefore, I do not use manures, I will use worm castings, organic minerals, but never one meal either.

I live in a zone 4 in Canada, and here, our wonderful Ministry of Agriculture and Foods has stated and made a law, that anyone who uses less than 35% NON_ORGANIC substances in their growing of foods, can class themselves as ORGANICALLY GROWN. Hmmmm, does this make any sence to any of you out there??? It doesn't to me.

So, all my Canadian friends, please be cautious when you enter a grocery store and pay higher prices for those vegetables and meat and whatever else may be labelled as organic.

My rule of thumb is, if you don't grow it yourself, or if you are not very close to the grower, do not assume that it is ORGANIC.

Grow healthy, grow strong, and grow clean.

#125937 August 15th, 2005 at 01:06 AM
I am also in Canada (zone 5) and wondered if anyone can tell me about "certified organic" land? What is it and how long does it take before you can be "certified"? And who certifies it and how? The farmland around me is apparently certified organic so what does this mean to me and what I do in my yard?

#125938 October 13th, 2005 at 01:23 PM
D
D
what is the solution for organic control of wealy?

#125939 October 25th, 2005 at 07:53 AM
OP Offline
Hello Jigish, sorry I have not been to this site for sometime, busy life here, too busy for a computer time even. So, I did not see your question but here is my reply now.

I am not sure what you mean by 'wealy' but I am assuming it is a bug. For ANY bugs on my garden plants, If soap and water, or diluted soda does not kill them, I use my great grandmothers remedy. I take 1 pouch of organic tobacco, no chemicals added during growth, found at native canadian stores, and I soak that tobacco in a large 5 gallon pail full of water overnight. 12 hours later, I strain out the tobacco and disgard it, I put this water, now partly brown in colour, into sprayers and spray the mighty pests on the plants. The plants are not affected in any way, do not spray in sunshine times (can burn the plant) or in the later part of the evening (attracts night feeders like snails).
If this is not at all helpful to you, please post telling me of what you meant by 'wealy'. I will try to respond.

Link Copied to Clipboard