This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#124970 November 6th, 2005 at 08:53 AM
G
G
Hey Grey...

After a couple days, your two ponds should be at the same temp so temp should not be an issue.

If you happen to have a pH test kit, you might want to check to make sure that matches in both ponds, as this is normally far more lethal than temp changes.

Otherwise, a suggestion...move a couple plants from the old pond into the new pond, and a few rocks too. The more stuff you move from the old pond into the new one, the more good bacteria you are transferring. This will help your pond break in much faster.

#124971 November 6th, 2005 at 01:12 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
...move a couple plants from the old pond into the new pond, and a few rocks too. The more stuff you move from the old pond into the new one, the more good bacteria you are transferring. This will help your pond break in much faster.
Well...I moved my fish yesterday afternoon...and as of today they are all still alive. I moved some plants into the pond a few days prior to moving the fish...so maybe I did one thing right.

I will move some of the rocks into the new pond first thing in the morning. I have no idea about this "good bacteria" stuff. nutz I wish I was smarter with these kinds of things...for my fishes sake. :rolleyes:

Cindy

#124972 November 6th, 2005 at 11:27 PM
G
G
The good bacteria is the stuff that converts the fishie poo from ammonia to nitrite and eventually the less lethal nitrate, that your plants will love. smile

It doesn't freely float in the water, but rather colonizes on various surfaces in the water...so moving plants, rocks, etc, all gives you a boost in getting the new pond stabilized organically. smile

#124973 November 7th, 2005 at 07:32 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Thank you, Giraffe. If it wasn't for the info I get from you and Gardencrazy, I don't know what I'd do. The original pond wasn't supposed to be a pond...it was a bog garden thing I started, but the water wouldn't drain from it at all...so it became a pond. shocked
Then, the fish were added because Brennan wanted to put them in...and I figured they would die in a few days...NOT! laugh Now those 5 fish are 75 fish! :rolleyes:

I'm gonna have to read up on pond management I guess. I have no idea what you guys are talking about, with the "good bacteria", etc. but I just do what you tell me and everything always works out. Guess if I'm gonna have a lake full of fish in my yard I need to start actually LEARNING something so I can understand all of this! shocked

Thank you!

Cindy

#124974 November 7th, 2005 at 08:39 AM
G
G
Are we allowed to link to external sites here? There is a great article on 'cycling' (breaking in a new fishie house) that I am familiar with. It will better explain the bacteria issue.

#124975 November 7th, 2005 at 08:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
pm me the link (since i am on anyway) and i'll check it out. some sites are ok, but we try to be careful.

#124976 November 7th, 2005 at 08:46 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Yes! I need that!
You rock!
Post It! grinnnn

#124977 November 7th, 2005 at 08:46 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Well...if you send it to Jiffy and can't post it, somebody tell me where it is! eek

#124978 November 8th, 2005 at 08:16 AM
G
G
Jiffy gave me permission to post it. smile Thanks Jiffy!

This article breaks down the phases of 'cycling' a new body of water so it stabilizes and is able to sustain fishie life in a healthy way. It is written for aquariums, but is easily adaptable to ponds.

http://www.aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=14

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard