This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12456 June 23rd, 2003 at 07:20 AM
K
Katey55 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Morning all! I've been wanting to get a birdbath for the longest time, and most likely will this week. Any suggestions? I know they aren't supposed to be deep, and that there should be gravel or something in the bottom. One thing I need to know is if I should place it in the sun or shade? Maybe partial shade? And, for those of you with cats (like me), how do you keep them away from the birds?! I've thought of a collar with a bell, but have heard some learn how to keep it from jingling. Thoughts and experiences most welcome! smile

#12457 June 23rd, 2003 at 07:36 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Well the bird bath I have is all concrete and had to use a dolly to move the sucker. HEAVY!!!! Anyway, I put it amongest the roses...WATCH OUT LITTLE BIRDIES!!!! When the roses were cut back it was okay...the birds could see the cats coming...but now that the bushes are full the cats can sneak up on them. NOT GOOD!!! Have heard to put bird baths in an open environment just for that reason. I don't know about the gravel...I personally wouldn't put any in. I clean mine out every time I fill with water. I like clean fresh water to drink so I do the same for the birds. With the gravel it would make cleaning much harder. Oh, I also have mine in the sun...guess that was clear when I said they were amongest the roses. Anyways...don't know if this helped and others will have different opinions. Have a great day.
Catlover smile

#12458 June 24th, 2003 at 06:30 AM
K
Katey55 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the advice, Catlover! Yeah, after I posted that I got to thinking about how much trouble the gravel would be when I'd want to clean the birdbath. I read that too,about putting it in the open so cats can't sneak up on it.

Any more words of wisdom/experience from anyone else out there?

#12459 June 24th, 2003 at 06:58 AM
This may sound strange, but I keep just the top of a birdbath on the ground in one of my perennial gardens. Don't know why I prefer it that way, but it works. The dog occasionally likes a drink from there. We have several cats here on the farm but they must have plenty to do 'cause I've never seen one of them studying the birdbath. Maybe they're just too lazy. I just turn mine upside down for the winter. Less chance of it getting broken when its already on the ground. wink

#12460 June 24th, 2003 at 07:11 AM
K
Katey55 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hmm...that's a thought, Carol. Thanks! (I live on a farm, also). I've notice birds drinking out of our dog's water dish, which is, of course, on the ground. And I've never noticed the cat trying to get to those birds. The dog? He just watches them! But they're getting bird poop in his water all the time... :p ...so I need this bird bath so I'm not having to constantly dump and clean Bandit's water dish! Plus to give the birds more room to play in the water.

#12461 June 28th, 2003 at 03:44 PM
E
E
Just make sure you change the water on a regular basis to keep the mosquitos at bay.

#12462 June 30th, 2003 at 08:31 AM
K
Katey55 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the reminder, Evan. Can't be too careful with this nasty West Nile virus, can we?

Link Copied to Clipboard