This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#124484 February 20th, 2005 at 01:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
are you still taking names? i have a few more if you are...

#124485 February 20th, 2005 at 07:19 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
yup...I will take names up until I'm almost done quilting.

#124486 February 20th, 2005 at 10:24 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
hey Jenn, how is it coming? Were you able to get all of the supplies that you need? If not let us know. Also, if you need me to print up raffle tickets or flyers or posters...(or whatever) I will be happy to help in that way. Hope it is going smoothly.....you're a great gal for doing this.

#124487 February 22nd, 2005 at 01:30 PM
A
A
I just couldn't help but post a reply. I think what you are doing is wonderful. I found this site when I was searching for a good pattern to use for a quilt I'm trying to make in memory of my mother. She passed away this last year of brain cancer. She was only 51. She worked in a Dr.'s office and wore scrubs a lot. So I took those and have decided to try and make a quilt out of it. However, I haven't found that "perfect" pattern yet I want to use.

I just wanted to say good luck with your quilt. Almost each cancer (and certain other causes) have a color designated to it. I will include a link to a site that tells you which color represents each cause.
http://www.personalizedcause.com/awareness-ribbons/awareness-ribbons.html

To raise the most money, I encourage you to contact your local tv station or radio station and try to have this act of kindness listed in local events. Also, you might contact a breast cancer organization to help you auction this quilt, or gain names. www.breastcancer.org or even www.cancer.org. That might help. There is a Quilt for A Cure project in place and maybe this can aid to that. http://www.bcrfcure.org/part_grassroots_qfc.html

If anything, I just wanted to say that you are doing a great thing. Even if the quilt goes just for a short amount of money (which it won't) it helps the survivors and families of victims feel better knowing that they aren't the only ones facing this. In a way, it gives them a legacy.

Good Luck. luv

#124488 February 26th, 2005 at 04:43 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
May I suggest a wall hanging for your quilt? Scrubs are a thinner material and I'm afraid they won't last long if the quilt is actually used and washed quite a bit. But,I could be wrong. smile

What part of Florida are you from? My husband and I are leaving next Friday to go down to Ft. Myers, Fl. to help people rebuild from the hurricanes. We will be down there for a week.

I have been in contact with the ACS about the quilt and things have been put into place that will allow me to raffle the quilt off at a number of relays that are in my area. smile Thanks for the great links tho! Let me know when you've found a pattern for your quilt!! smile

#124489 March 3rd, 2005 at 12:21 AM
W
W
Hi,
I can see I need this website, as I am not all that computer or gardening literate. This message is regarding the Breast Cancer Quilt.

I am walking for the Avon Breast Cancer Walk in Washington, DC in April/May and one of my fundraisers is a Breast Cancer Quilt. The situation is that as I was looking for links to add to a website that I am creating, I came across a quilt design that is a little similar (although much, much nicer and professionally drawn) to what I am planning to do. Mine has blocks designed to memorialize or appreciate survivors, but it has a pink ribbon in the middle.

I wanted to 1) let you know; 2)see what the protocol is for mentioning that your design came first (give you credit); 3) add it as a link if you don't mind.

I am going to contact Breast Cancer Quilt societies and have it be in a traveling display for Breast Cancer Awareness, and keep a dedicated website.

I took quilting classes years ago, and am doing the quilt as a healing activity, as 5 of my friends have been diagnosed with different types of cancer this past year or so, and I have been in a terrible state about it.

My intention is to learn and connect without adding distress to the world. Thanks for your time and attention.

#124490 March 3rd, 2005 at 12:13 PM
A
A
I live in Fort Walton. We were hit pretty good by Hurricane Ivan and are still doing repair. What a year!

Thanks for the advice about the scrubs and quilt. I plan on making it a hanging quilt. I would want it to last as long as possible. I hope you have a safe trip. Your help is greatly appreciated and needed here. Thanks.

#124491 March 9th, 2005 at 08:50 PM
OMGAWD JEN.... what a beautiful idea!!!! wavey

#124492 March 13th, 2005 at 06:43 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Sue,

I will add the name to the list. The production of this quilt has come to a sudden stop seeing as I can't really move around too much and I need to be standing to cut out the fabric. I'm hoping that this week, I am better and will be able to stand long enough to cut more pieces out.

#124493 March 18th, 2005 at 11:31 PM
Jenn, you are a sweetheart!!!! cool Thank you hon.

Now, please, just take good care of YOU!! wavey

#124494 March 18th, 2005 at 11:33 PM
cool
I WILL DO THIS ... HOPE YOU WILL TOO.

Please read the following story all the way to the end! Thank You .

Like most elementary schools, it was typical to have a parade of students in and out of the health clinic throughout the day. We dispensed ice for bumps and bruises, Band-Aids for cuts, and liberal doses of sympathy and hugs. As principal, my office was right next door to the clinic, so I often dropped in to lend a hand and help out with the hugs. I knew that for some kids, mine might be the only one they got all day.

One morning I was putting a Band-Aid on a little girl's scraped knee. Her blonde hair was matted, and I noticed that she was shivering in her thin little sleeveless blouse. I found her a warm sweatshirt and helped her pull it on. "Thanks for taking care of me," she whispered as she climbed into my lap and snuggled up against me.

It wasn't long after that when I ran across an unfamiliar lump under my arm. Cancer, an aggressively spreading kind, had already invaded thirteen of my lymph nodes. I pondered whether or not to tell the students about my diagnosis. The word breast seemed so hard to say out loud to them, and the word cancer seemed so frightening.

When it became evident that the children were going to find out one way or another, either the straight scoop from me or possibly a garbled version from someone else, I decided to tell them myself. It wasn't easy to get the words out, but the empathy and concern I saw in their faces as I explained it to them told me I had made the right decision. When I gave them a chance to ask questions, they mostly wanted to know how they could help. I told them that what I would like best would be their letters, pictures and prayers.

I stood by the gym door as the children solemnly filed out. My little blonde friend darted out of line and threw herself into my arms. Then she stepped back to look up into my face. "Don't be afraid, Dr. Perry," she said earnestly, "I know you'll be back because now it's our turn to take care of you."

No one could have ever done a better job. The kids sent me off to my first chemotherapy session with a hilarious book of nausea remedies that they had written. A video of every class in the school singing get-well songs accompanied me to the next chemotherapy appointment. By the third visit, the nurses were waiting at the door to find out what I would bring next. It was a delicate music box that played "I Will Always Love You."

Even when I went into isolation at the hospital for a bone marrow transplant, the letters and pictures kept coming until they covered every wall of my room.

Then the kids traced their hands onto colored paper, cut them out and glued them together to make a freestanding rainbow of helping hands. "I feel like I've stepped into Disneyland every time I walk into this room," my doctor laughed. That was even before the six-foot apple blossom tree arrived adorned with messages written on paper apples from the students and teachers. What healing comfort I found in being surrounded by these tokens of their caring.

At long last I was well enough to return to work. As I headed up the road to the school, I was suddenly overcome by doubts. What if the kids have forgotten all about me? I wondered, What if they don't want a skinny bald principal? What if . I caught sight of the school marquee as I rounded the bend. "Welcome Back, Dr. Perry," it read. As I drew closer, everywhere I looked were pink ribbons - ribbons in the windows, tied on the doorknobs, even up in the trees. The children and staff wore pink ribbons, too.

My blonde buddy was first in line to greet me. "You're back, Dr. Perry, you're back!" she called. "See, I told you we'd take care of you!"

As I hugged her tight, in the back of my mind I faintly heard my music box playing . . . "I will always love you."

Subject: Breast Cancer Stamp Booklet

We need those of you who are great at forwarding on information with your e-mail network. Please read and pass this on. It would be wonderful if 2005 were the year a cure for breast cancer was found!!!!

This is one email you should be glad to pass on. The notion that we could raise $35 million by buying a book of stamps is powerful! As you may be aware, the US Postal Service recently released its new "Fund the Cure" stamp to help fund breast cancer research. The stamp was designed by Ethel Kessler of Bethesda, Maryland. It is important that we take a stand against this disease that affects so many of our Mothers, Sisters and Friends.

Instead of the normal 37 cents for a stamp, this one costs 40 cents The additional 3 cents will go to breast cancer research. A "normal" book costs $7.40. This one is only $8.00. It takes a few minutes in line at the Post Office and means so much. If all stamps are sold, it will raise an additional $35,000,000 for this vital research. Just as important as the money is our support. What a statement it would make if the stamp outsold the lottery this week. What a statement it would make that we care.

I urge you to do two things TODAY:

1. Go out and purchase some of these stamps.

2. E-mail your friends to do the same. .

Many of us know women and their families whose lives are turned upside-down by breast cancer.

It takes so little to do so much in this drive.

I care and I know you all do too.

LOVE YA'S!!

Sue Z
cool

#124495 March 20th, 2005 at 04:28 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Please add KATHERINE FRANZ to your quilt if possible she is a survivor.

#124496 March 21st, 2005 at 05:35 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
okie doke

#124497 March 26th, 2005 at 06:17 AM
I don't know if you're still taking names, but my great-aunt, Florence Boissonault, is a survivor. What you are doing is so wonderful! God bless you!

#124498 March 27th, 2005 at 07:13 AM
Is this survivors only?

My mother died in 99 - of cancer and old age, of course.

She was Lilian Hainsworth, aged 81. Died October 9th, 1999.

#124499 March 29th, 2005 at 09:23 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
No, this quilt is not for survivors only. I will take the names of anyone who has had breast cancer.

I also have another cancer quilt in the planning stages. It will be for all types of cancers. I'm asking for the names of the people and for the types of cancers for that one.

#124500 May 4th, 2005 at 02:44 PM
K
K
what a brilliant thing you are doing. How many names do you have now ? I read all through the thread - very heartwarming!

#124501 May 5th, 2005 at 02:27 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Umm....**getting out 'the book'**...211. Tell your friends about the quilt. I need ALOT more names.

I keep thinking that its kind of a blessing that I've only gotten this many names so far because the next 600 some names are coming harder.

#124502 May 11th, 2005 at 04:16 AM
Hi Jenn,
pcgrav here... I have been trying to send you a PM but I keep getting an error message. If you got multiples --my apologies-- if you didn't get anything at all please post and let me know so I might try again. Thanx

#124503 May 11th, 2005 at 04:47 AM
I thought it curious that I just spent quite some time on this thread and then skipped over to my e-mail and found the following e-mail from a friend of mine... I thought this might be an appropriate place to post it. I hope everyone will copy and paste it and forward it to all they know to help spread the word...Its a little long but I thought it might be worthy of some time-- It reads as follows:

Please forward to all of the women in your lives. Mothers, daughters, sisters, aunts, friends, etc.
In November, a rare kind of breast cancer was found. A lady developed a rash on her breast, similar to that of young mothers who are nursing.

Because her mammogram had been clear, the doctor treated her with antibiotics for infections. After two rounds and it continued to get worse, her doctor sent her for another mammogram, and this time it showed a mass.

A biopsy found a fast growing malignancy. Chemo was started in order to shrink the growth; then mastectomy; then a full round of Chemo; then radiation.

After about 9 months of intense treatment, she was given a clean bill of health. One year of living each day to its fullest. Then the cancer returned to the liver area. She took 4 treatments and decided that she wanted quality of life, not the after effects of Chemo.

She had 5 great months and she planned each detail of the final days. After just a few days of needing morphine she slipped away saying she had done what God had sent her into the world to do and now it was her time to go.

PLEASE be alert to anything that is not normal.

Her message is shown below:

Paget's Disease: This is a rare form of breast cancer, and is on the outside of the breast, on the nipple and aureola. It appeared as a rash, which later became a lesion with a crusty outer edge. I would not have ever suspected it to be breast cancer but it was. My nipple never seemed any different to me, but the rash bothered me, so I went to the doctor for that.

Sometimes, it itched and was sore, but other than that it didn't bother me. It was just ugly and a nuisance, and could not be cleared up with all the creams prescribed by my doctor and dermatologist for the dermatitis on my eyes just prior to this outbreak.

They seemed a little concerned. Mine started out as a single red pimple on the aureola. One of the biggest problems with Paget's disease of the nipple is that the symptoms appear to be harmless. It is frequently thought to be a skin inflammation or infection, leading to unfortunate delays in detection and care.

What are the symptoms? The symptoms include:

1. A persistent redness, oozing, and crusting of your nipple causing it to itch and burn. (As I stated, mine did not itch or burn much, and had no oozing I was aware of, but it did have a crust along the outer edge on one side.)

2. A sore on your nipple that will not heal. (Mine was on the aureola area with a whitish thick looking area in center of nipple).

3. Usually only one nipple is affected. How is it diagnosed? Your doctor will do a physical exam and should suggest having a mammogram of both breasts, done immediately.

Even though the redness, oozing and crusting closely resemble dermatitis (inflammation of the skin), your doctor should suspect cancer if the sore is only on one breast. Your doctor should order a biopsy of your sore to confirm what is going on.

This message should be taken seriously and passed on to as many of your relatives and friends as possible; it could save someone's life. My breast cancer has spread and metastasized to my bones after receiving mega doses of chemotherapy, 28 treatments of radiation and taking Tamaxofin. If this had been diagnosed as breast cancer in the beginning, perhaps it would not have spread.

TO ALL READERS: This is sad as women are not aware of Paget's disease. Please, if you can, take a moment to forward this message to as many people as possible, especially to your family and friends. It only takes a moment, yet the results could save a life.

#124504 May 11th, 2005 at 08:16 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi pcgrav...I did get the PM...thank you for the name. smile

UPDATE ON THE QUILT...

I currently have 216 names and need some 700 more. I have pretty much tried every way to get the word out about the quilt. I have written to the newspaper and local news networks, but have had no interest in the quilt. It looks like word of mouth is the only way to get information on the quilt out.

I am planning on starting to work on the quilt again starting in the next couple of weeks. It all depends on how my dr. appt goes on Monday. They will be talking with me about getting skin grafting done on my leg...although it will take along of persuasion for me to get it done. I DO NOT want the procedure to be done.

I will keep you all posted.

#124505 June 7th, 2005 at 10:56 PM
Hi Jenn
What a brilliant idea?
I have 4 names for you, probably have more in the next couple of weeks.
Winnie Carney
Marion Walsh
Dora Telford
Madge Howell

Thanks Lisax wavey

#124506 June 12th, 2005 at 05:33 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
This is fabulous. I like the idea of it moving on and being raffled again and again. It would be a wonderful message carrier.

#124507 June 27th, 2005 at 06:49 PM
Update us on the Dr.s appt., Jenn and may God continue to bless you and the work you do on the quilts. wavey

#124508 June 27th, 2005 at 06:53 PM
Hi Trish wavey

Thank you for sharing that story with us. wavey

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard