This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#124434 January 12th, 2005 at 03:46 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I was thinking the same thing as Cindy (scared me) I know that not all Wally Worlds carry the same thing and YOU need to get what you want to work with..so I'm sending cash also.
You're a good girl Jenn!

What's Peanut doing up tis time of the night?
I am such a night owl and he KNOWS if he wakes up and I am awake I WILL go get him and rock him (it's the sweetest time)so if he hears me up during the night...he let's me know! What cha gonna do??? Duh

#124435 January 12th, 2005 at 03:54 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I was thinking the same thing as Cindy (scared me)
Hey...imagine how I feel!
I think the same thing as Cindy ALL THE TIME! shk

laugh

#124436 January 12th, 2005 at 06:37 AM
Cindy's Cuz
Cindy's Cuz
Jenn,

This is such a wonderful idea (and you sound like a wonderful person). smile All of these ideas are great. My support will definitely be there for you. (I'll send $ and p.m. names)

I love the tracking the quilt idea and raffling it off (or raising money in any way)by each winner/owner of the quilt. It could be never-ending fund-raising for breast cancer awareness. angell She has made more quilts than anyone I know and just got diagnosed with cancer (stomach, etc.).

Les

#124437 January 12th, 2005 at 06:39 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Cindy...you make my day...you are such a HOOT! Or as my sis would say...a hoot & 1/2!

laugh laugh laugh

#124438 January 12th, 2005 at 06:40 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Granny Brown
ters

#124439 January 12th, 2005 at 06:42 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Cindy...you make my day...you are such a HOOT! Or as my sis would say...a hoot & 1/2!
Hey...I make my own day, too!
(You should see me.....I 'm here by myself all the time, and I crack myself up!)
Thanks!

#124440 January 12th, 2005 at 06:48 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I was just talking to the hubby about this and he was thinking (he has a lot of time to think) (and doesn't think like Cindy!) that it would be better if we sent you a Wal-Mart gift card so you wouldn't have to deal with out of state check hassels...so that's what we're a doin! flw

#124441 January 12th, 2005 at 06:50 AM
Cindy's Cuz
Cindy's Cuz
The funny thing is.... she's telling the truth! kissies

#124442 January 12th, 2005 at 06:53 AM
Cindy's Cuz
Cindy's Cuz
That's a good idea, too. Cool.

#124443 January 12th, 2005 at 06:58 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Yeah, Vanessa...that IS a good idea!
Glad I thought of that! laugh thumbup

#124444 January 12th, 2005 at 07:18 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
there is only room in this house for one of us to be thinkin like you!
How did I GET that job????? Duh

#124445 January 12th, 2005 at 05:37 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I've already started thinking about the next quilt. The ribbon is going to be lavendar...the color for cancer awarness in general. That quilt will be open to names of people who have had all types of cancers. Since each specific type of cancer has it's own awareness color (ovarian=green, prostate=blue, etc), I will make the log cabin blocks consist of all of those colors. So, the quilt will be multi-colored all around the single large lavendar ribbon.

Thanks again to those who are donating, I really appreciate it. I am trying to figure out a way that I can get the person who wins it to raffle it off and so on. My MIL, who thinks like Cindy ALL the time!! laugh , thought that having a continuous raffle for the quilt was an awesome idea.

I've emailed JoAnn Fabrics and asked if they would donate to the quilt. I am waiting for them to answer. I couldn't find an email for Wal-mart tho. So, I'm hoping that I can find the manager of my Super Wal-mart while I'm there today. I'll keep you all posted.

Oh...Cricket~ I can't remember if I ever answered your question. This quilt will just be for breast cancer, BUT, make sure you PM me your names when I start the next quilt, ok?

#124446 January 12th, 2005 at 05:46 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Jenn,
This is just a thought off the cuff, but
why don't you email like the head foundation
of Breast Cancer Awareness and tell them of your
you're going to do, and I'll bet you'd not only get help from them, but may give them a national idea as well....
Just an idea but one that sounds like it would fly with some help!!!

Weezie

#124447 January 12th, 2005 at 06:52 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Great idea! I'm sure that the American Cancer Society is the head of that...but I will have to look into it. I know where the Breast Cancer website is, so I will look there. What do you think I should ask them for??...like, how do I word it?

After I make the quilt, I'm going to write to the newspaper and to the news stations and to the local radio stations to see if they will do a story on the quilt to get people to buy raffle tickets.

#124448 January 12th, 2005 at 07:32 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Exactly, On the news paper and tv...

And I bet that the Breast Cancer Society could almost *maybe* start a NATIONAL thing to for a fund raiser idea for alot of other quilters too!!!

or at least try it on a local level and see how
it goes???

You never know!!
But I think it's a neat idea!

Weezie

#124449 January 13th, 2005 at 12:03 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I wrote to the person in charge of the local ACS things and also to ACS directly. Here is what I told them.
Hello,

I am wondering if there is anyway that you or the ACS can help me. I live in Berks County, but participate in the Relay for Life in Sullivan County with my mother in law. As a fund raiser for our team, the Pink Flamingos, I have designed a quilt and will be raffling it off. I have attached a picture of the quilt to this email. The quilt will be 90” square and will have a large pink ribbon in the middle with large “log cabin” blocks around it. In each “log” of the log cabin blocks, I plan to quilt the name of a someone lost to breast cancer, some who currently has breast cancer, or a breast cancer survivor. I will need over 950 names (first and last names, first names, or just initials) for the quilt. I am wondering if there is any way that you can help me spread the word about my quilt. I don’t really know how to go about doing that.

Some friends of mine have also come up with a great idea for the quilt. We thought it would be really cool if the person who wins the quilt does their own raffle for the quilt and the next winner do the same, and so on. This way, the quilt could generate more money. So far, I have gotten offers from all over the nation to buy tickets for the quilt, but I do not know how I could keep track of where the quilt would travel or how much money the quilt would raise. Is it possible that the ACS would like to adopt the idea as a perpetual fund raiser??

Thank you for whatever help you can offer.
Sincerely,
Jennifer Vermeire
Hopefully I will hear from him soon.

I've also sent out an email to my friends asking for names.

So, that's where I'm at right now.

#124450 January 13th, 2005 at 12:13 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Perfect...
I think that's exactly what you needed to ask and know!!!
Can't wait to hear gab about it!!!

Weezie

#124451 January 13th, 2005 at 03:35 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I got an email from Joann Fabrics. They gave me an address that I'm supposed to write to and ask for the donation. So, I wrote up a letter to the lady, explained to her what the quilt is for, and sent a copy of the quilt design. I also gave her the chance to give me names for the quilt. shocked ...and asked her to pass the information to anyone she knows. smile

#124452 January 13th, 2005 at 04:19 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Well, I am excited about the "general" quilt! I lost my entire family..both sets of grandparents, parents, aunts & Uncles to various kinds of cancer in a 5 year period...it was/is HORRIBLE! My sister & her 2 children and my son are all that is left from a really large family. So I can fill half that quilt with names! We use to have large family reunions and holiday dinners and I miss that so much! You just never know! ters

#124453 January 13th, 2005 at 05:15 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, then I think I start taking names for the "all cancers" quilt right now also (as long as we don't forget about the breast cancer quilt...that is what I will work on first). I re-counted and I need a total of 905 for the breast cancer quilt. ...of course, I might have counted wrong again. Anyone else want to try? PM me with your email address and I'll send you a larger copy of the quilt.

For names for the all cancers quilt, I will need the names...or initials... along with what kind of cancer it was. I, also, have names for that quilt. I found out that my aunt had breast cancer. I didn't know that. She died from lung cancer, but had a mastectomy about 20 years ago.

#124454 January 14th, 2005 at 04:04 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I get reminded of a website everyday to click on to fund free mammograms. Each click is a mammogram.
Duh
Les...Why don't you post a link to it here?

Cindy

#124455 January 14th, 2005 at 04:18 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
**Update**

Lastnight before I went to bed, I sent a mass email out to just about everyone in my online contacts. I explained to them the quilt and everything. This morning I didn't have anything in my mail, but when I got home from work tonight, I had like 12 emails, almost all of them with a name of two. Some of my friends have forwarded the email to their contact list and some of their friends have forwarded the quilt and information yet again! So, now I'm really excited! I'm going to write to the local newspaper and ask them to print up a story about the quilt and to put contact information for me in the story so that people around here can give me names. I'm also going to write to a couple of local news networks.

I'm now up to 36 names on the list. ...5 for the "general cancers" quilt.

#124456 January 14th, 2005 at 04:40 AM
Cindy's Cuz
Cindy's Cuz
Jenn,

That was a well-written letter to ACS. thumbup I work for the dept. for public health system so I will get the letter around to some of my coworkers if you'd like.

Here is the link that has been going around to fund mammograms. There may even be someone to contact on this site.

click to fund a free mammogram

#124457 January 14th, 2005 at 04:45 AM
Cindy's Cuz
Cindy's Cuz
Well, obviously I didn't do something right...

Well you can go to "thebreastcancersite.com".

#124458 January 14th, 2005 at 04:47 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Is that the right place Leslie???

Let me know and make sure it's the right one.

Weezie

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard