This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#124310 August 27th, 2005 at 10:13 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I've been busy - it wasn't just a lot of puttering around . . . no, it started that way, but worked up into a full blown project . . .

Here's just one of the pictures to show the results . . .

[Linked Image]

All this is taking place at the front of the south lot (street part).

I've been gathering stones (of course) and mining the beach and scrub off the sides of the streets for plants to add to my little patches.

There's some of that stuff that looks like rhubarb (dock), some more of those jumpin' jacks, and a lotta' idunnosia.

#124311 August 27th, 2005 at 10:40 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
The picture didn't show for me I have the x- signs instead. Sounds like you've been busy though.

#124312 August 28th, 2005 at 12:05 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Looking real good Carly thanks for posting. You sure put in a lot of back breaking work. Keep on with the photo's love them. It looks like it is so cool there. Makes me want to put a Hammock between the trees and just relax and enjoy it.
Jimmy

#124313 August 28th, 2005 at 02:16 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, I like that idea about the hammock - those are just small scrub trees down there though.

'Twould be nice to do elsewhere on the lot though.

As if we didn't have enough problems with people hangin' out there at night - ha ha!

Here's the path of stones as it looked yesterday -I actually completed it half an hour ago - as the first drop of rain fell.

[Linked Image]

Well, yeah - there's more to do and there's more to show too.

I've been fixated on this part of the lot (street/city side) all week.

It's about 15 feet long, 12 deep if ya' don't count the shrubs that separate it from the main lot.

The shrubs are getting spindly now - 80% of that was bare twigs, but I'm making it look like somebody gives a damn.

(Like the obsessive son of a gun that I am).

Thanks for looking in.

#124314 August 28th, 2005 at 02:25 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
I'll see what I can do about another link for the picture so TK can see it.

#124315 August 28th, 2005 at 03:08 AM
everything looks great carly! I LOVE what you did with the rock pathway!

#124316 August 28th, 2005 at 06:15 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Jamie . . . I have to give thanks to Jeff who helped me carry rocks home (as always).

And he helped me make that little fence. I cut about 5 of the sticks, but my arm power only stays so long, so he stepped in. I hammered 'em in though.

#124317 August 28th, 2005 at 06:18 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
So what's the big deal about that gap where I put the sticks. Yeah, well you're probably wondering why I'd be so excited about such a thing.

This picture shows what the bushes (twigs) look like - you can see it on your left. I had to cut out a clump like that from the bottom. A lot of them came out on their own 'cause they were just loose sticks we'd been poking in there as they came down. But a lot had to be sawed out.

[Linked Image]

I need to thin out that clump now.

#124318 August 28th, 2005 at 06:20 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
And as I said to Jamie, I cut the sticks all the same length, then hammered the tire iron into the ground, put the sticks in. Jeff had to help with the sawing.

Sticking them in the holes was easy - ha ha!

There's a small log along the bottom to help support them.

#124319 August 28th, 2005 at 06:25 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
BTW - this might help if you can't see the pictures here . . .

http://img274.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fenceplanning08268ab.jpg

#124320 August 28th, 2005 at 06:26 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Ah, ya . . . that seems to work ok. I'll try to remember to take that link when I upload my pics.

#124321 August 28th, 2005 at 06:49 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's some of the actual planting that's going on - and no, I did not go out and buy new plants. Who me? Ha!

The night before saw me (at dusk) down at the Parkside Bridge where there's a lot of wild scruff growing - they're digging up there, putting in sewage pipes. All the wildflowers are just getting plowed under.

(I should have been a hog and grabbed all that chicory - damn!)

Well I came back with an armful of it - in the gardening cart, of course - I didn't go up the street with a buncha' weeds in my arms, lookin' like a right dork - I did try to look like a normal person . . .

I got home just as the dark fell and could hardly see - I radioed Jeff with this dorky little two way radio thingamajig we got and said I'm not coming inside yet - have to get planted.

Not being able to see, this is what I ended up with the next morning - a right mess, but it was in the ground and 'some' of it was usable.

[Linked Image]

Here's the url to go to it if you can't see it here.

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=morninafterpickinsmess08265ms.jpg

So, I had to sort it all out - managed to keep about 1/4 of the stuff, the rest was kaboodled. It's now in the rakings, trying to find its way into the ground through all the crushed leaves.

Long may you live.

Anyway - on with it - yeah, I know, I do go on don't I?

I parked my cart, sat down and straightened it up, then poured the water on 'er.

[Linked Image]

Here's a direct hit, if ya' can't see the pics here . . .

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lookinbetter08262la.jpg

Now that looks much better.

Again - notice where the leaves from those bushes repeat themselves on your right - that's 'cause I put some rooting hormone on some that I carved off the mess - we'll have to see how they hold up.

Now, let's see - do I have anything else to tell?

#124322 August 28th, 2005 at 07:02 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
And you might just as well see the 'scene of the crime'. This is where I did my pickin' . . .

[Linked Image]

Click here to see:

http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pickinatdusk08253av.jpg

This is down by the bridge on Parkside Drive - just a few feet from the highway on the lakeshore.

The train tracks are on top of the bridge.

#124323 August 28th, 2005 at 07:15 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's a close-up of what I planted - the dock (stuff that looks like rhubarb) came from the scrub on the sidewalk a few doors up from our place.

The columbine came from that spot I showed by the bridge . . .

[Linked Image]

Here's the link if ya' can't see it here . . .

http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pickinsplantin08266ak.jpg

#124324 August 28th, 2005 at 07:18 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
OK - that's about it. There are other plants, but you can't see them that well. There's those jumpin' jack things (wild violets, I think) and small grass weeds.

I intend to go down the side of that pathway and pop little sprigs in it (in the hope a hedge will grow - dream on, eh?)

#124325 August 28th, 2005 at 08:55 PM
Meg Offline
Wow Carly, I really like what you did with the stone path, and everything else around it. Very nice!! flw

Meg

#124326 August 31st, 2005 at 08:44 PM
Hi Carly,
You have been busy. Lots of shade there, looks like you could set some benches and hostas around too. I agree with previous posts on the hammock idea too.

#124327 September 1st, 2005 at 10:21 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yeah, I like that stone path too!!
Very cute!!

The one plant you got that's next to your
columbine is a Common Burdock

I have a couple here and there in the back 40!!
I love the leaves, and the purple flowers..
Don't get to close to it when they start to turn
brown, they'll stick to you and any one else too.

I usually rip them up and burn them the second year... so they don't get too busy on the property..

#124328 September 2nd, 2005 at 09:28 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, the path worked out nicely - it was worth the work.

I've been working on the other side this week. I think I'll be throwing some seed soon. They say Fall is a good time to do it.

The soil is pretty good out there - must be all the leaves that conglomerate there all the time.

Not to mention the doggie doo.

Link Copied to Clipboard