This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12296 March 15th, 2003 at 10:39 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Help! We have a peony garden that is well over 23 years old and consists of 100 peony bushes. It is in the middle of our yard, and over time the grass is taking over. Can anyone give me a successful way to easily destroy the grass without hurting these shallow rooted plants. They will be up and blooming by the 30'th of May weekend so we must act quickly. I have tried digging the grass off with a trowell but this is an endless and nearly impossible job. Any help would be appreciated. confused

#12297 March 17th, 2003 at 09:30 AM
A
A
How fortunate you are to have such a treasure! Peonies are one of my favorite plants, especially the herbaceous ones.

As far as ridding your garden of grass without hurting the beauties, thats a procedure that obviously will take time and care.

The very first thing I would do is to re-edge the area around the bed. My prefered method is to push straight down with a shovel on the lawn side and then dig in at an angle from the bed side, leaving a wide 6 inch deep trench. The straight cut on the lawn side makes it harder for grass to invade, and the angled side allows the mulch to fill the trench and give a nice sloped appearance to the bed. If you don't re-edge, your grass invasion will only get worse.

Ortho makes a product called Grass B Gone, that will kill common grasses but isn't supposed to harm ornamental plants. You will see some discoloration on the leaves, so I would definitely test it on a small area first to ensure the peonies won't be harmed. If you are careful not to get any overspray on the leaves, you should be safe, as this type of chemical is absorbed through the green part of a plant, and is inactive on the soil. Proceed cautiously and slowly, with such a wonderful collection of peonies. I would continue to hand dig as much as you can, and use a chemical only as a last resort on the tenacious patches that just won't go away. good luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard