This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#122867 January 19th, 2005 at 12:07 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hello, Hello,
My name is Andria and I'm new here! I have tons and tons of questions and I think I've come to the right place. I have a 20 month old daughter that became very ill recently (flu like symptoms etc.) and our family friend (and new family doctor) is a holistic practicioner.. long story short he says we're very 'toxic'. I have been reading alot about this and am horrified at the 'junk' that is sold as food. I will be buying organic.. but it's soo expensive! So I want to start an organic container garden. I have plenty of space (an apartment with a back yard) but the ground is bad (manicured) and I need to be able to move the containers around. I thought about using laundry baskets (they're attractive enough, cheap, etc.) but wonder if the plastic will contaminate the food?! So my questions...
#1 will plastic containers contaminate food?
#2 how much food can REALISTICALLY be grown in containers in 1 hour after work and 2-3 hours on weekends?!
#3 Since I'm in Florida can I plant year round?
#4 Do different foods have to be started at different times? (this goes back to my lack of understanding of the 'zones')
#5 What veggies are the easiest to grow?
AND
#6 I have to do this on a budget!
HELP!
I know that I am 'toxic'.. I have been researching this stuff for a couple of weeks now and am comming to terms with what parts of my lifestyle are making me sick. I have been hospitalized, medicated, and tested for years and they always come back to 'it must be psychological, your brain can manifest anything'. I know that although I am a little crazy, I would not make up these problems. I am putting my faith and life into the hands of this doctor and mother earth. So, if I seem a little anxious.. it's because I am! So yes, I have alot of questions and I am asking them here as well as other places.. if someone else answers with something nifty I'll let ya'll know.
On another note:
I am frustrated that the only water supply we have is flouridated and that the city is unwilling to even listen to reasons for it not to be. How do organic gardeners deal with this problem? Are there any cost effective solutions to avoid flouridating my veggies?

Thanks to anyone willing to put in their two-cents.. collectively it all adds us!

Andria
PlayinginDirt

#122868 January 19th, 2005 at 12:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
andria, cheaper than laundry baskets is food grade 5 gallon buckets that butter or pickles come in for restaurants. most of them end up in landfills, so befriend a restaurant manager or two and they can set you up. just use a drill or dremel to cut holes in the bottoms of the buckets for drainage.

as long as you really have an hour or so every day, you can have an awesome garden

there isn't much that isn't growable in buckets and or laundry baskets (i am going to work on potatos in an old laundry hamper this year)

i grew squash (yellow and zuchini), watermelons, cantelopes, peppers and beans in my buckets last year. haven't got this year planned but will soon.

by the way, welcome to the garden helper. i am very pressed for time right now, but i will be back to give you more info...

#122869 January 19th, 2005 at 06:57 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Andria,
I know that although I am a little crazy,
Boy will you fit in here nicely!! thumbup
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us!!!

Alot of us here like organic gardening very much,
ask away any and all the questions you have, and don't forget that if you don't understand anything someone has answered to re~post and ask them to re~state what they said... being new to gardening can be frustrating but sooooooooo worth it in the end when you finally get it, and grow it and harvest it and eat it... Keep your faith in trying and trying again...we all start out as beginners, and we alllllllllllll are still learning every day!!!!

Yes, to what Jiff said, food grade buckets,
you can have a whole entire garden in them....
I did several things for my mom and dad in them.. tomatoes mostly... and lettuce and cucumbers too!

While you're waiting for spring to actually spring, get yourself a couple of cups of coffee, and do some hunting around here,
find the FORUM SEARCH and type in container gardening, or raised beds, organic gardening, etc..you'll find alot of info... * shocked we get a little off gab !!!!!
Then get your name on some free seed/plant catalogs that come in the mail and read, read, read... Always alot of good free reading in there, good pictures, and tells you alot about growing requirements and zones...

Can you give us a list of what you and your family like to eat..???
Can you go out to your area where you'd like to start your garden and watch what goes on in that area as far as sun up/ sun down times,
how much sun... if you have things that will heat up the area more, ie; stones, cement walk ways or patio's...
places that have morning sun/shaded afternoons and setting sun time..that's good for things like lettuce that need a little bit cooler to grow in..

And do you have any access to a water/rain barrel/plastic bucket? I have several that drain off my roof and I use those to gather water and water with by the watering can when we have dry weather and/or water bans on...

Well, I hope some of this gets you started and heading in the right direction...

Weezie

And don't forget to keep asking questions,
we love them around here!!! Never feel your question is too nutz to ask.. we all were
new to gardening at some point!!!

P.S. One of our gardener's, Njoynit, even gardened in bags or an upside down bag *or bucket* last year with a tomato.. so, there's lot's of ways to garden!!!

#122870 January 20th, 2005 at 01:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ok, i have more time... (not much more, but a little...) and i grew cucumbers last year too!

what i did is get some cheap potting soil from a supercenter, mix it with some fairly good stuff and some compost, and put it in my buckets. if you can get the lid to the bucket too, that is even better because you can put your plant in the middle (cut a large hole in the lid) and then you can put it over your plant while it is still young and that conserves water and weeding time. somehow, i still had to weed frown

anyway, i started my seeds indoors in jiffy pellets and then put the best of the plants in the buckets. worked like a charm!

when i get my train of thought back, i'll add more, but i'm scatterbrained today... (no comments weezie kissies laugh laugh )

#122871 January 20th, 2005 at 02:08 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wink

#122872 January 20th, 2005 at 03:41 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I'm not sure that I can get my hands on food grade buckets, but I will call around to the local Checkers/Diary Queen type places.. who knows?! I have a fairly open area to garden in, I personally have a small (5x8) patio that is poured and then my mother (her duplex is directly behind mine) has a yard (of sorts) so we have all types of environment.. lots of sun, plenty of rain (especially in summer evenings) and shade (between the buildings). I figure that I will start mapping out shady and hot spots. I need the containers b/c the owners mow and maintain the yard. I eat everything except beets (taste dirty), radishes (been awhile since I tasted them, I may like them by now.. I just remember them being hot) and mango (they taste like pine smells!)My hubby won't eat anything except corn and potatoes.. but he'll either eat what I cook or starve! My daughter loves all foods (that's my girl!) I especially LOVE Broccoli, Asparagus, Okra, Cucumbers, Lettuces (we buy ALOT of lettuces)tomatoes (oh yummy), Zuchini, Yellow Squash, Blackberries, Strawberries, Peas (purple hull), Butter Beans, Herbs (chives, cilantro, rosemary, etc.). I know that I need to start with a few things and then branch out, but I'm impatient. Luckily in Fl there is a long growing season. I am most interested in tomatoes and bannana peppers (I've grown both before)cucumbers, lettuces (all types of salad greens b/c I eat alot of salads.. I love salad and so does my daughter and I like different 'spring greens' to keep things interesting)Zuchini(we eat alot and I know that it grows like crazy) Okra(you can't get good okra this far from LA). Most of the other stuff would be wonderful because I grew up eating them. I would love to be dependant upon a garden for my food.. I know that isn't always possible, but I would still like to have a 'deep freeze' full of healthy stuff.

#122873 January 20th, 2005 at 03:48 AM
Is there a reason you guys don't plant in the ground?

I knew a lady one time who had all types of wierd problems. She went to doctor after doctor and was told that it was "all in her head". Even her husband told me that "there's nothing really wrong with her, she's crazy." The last time we ran into them he had to admit that it WASN't all in her mind. She had an enzyme imbalance and once that was corrected, with conventional medicine, she got better. I also know a person who had a bunch of things going wrong, after trying conventional medicine that made her worse, went to a kinisiologist (sp?), a holistic type person, where her hair was tested, skin was evaluated and I don't know what else. Anyway, she started eating the diet this person told her and she got better. Even though I am a nurse I don't take medicine - it can make you sick.

#122874 January 20th, 2005 at 04:51 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
PlayinginDirt,
If you go and do a FORUM SEARCH on tomatoes and raised beds, and read alot of my posts you'll find alot of info there on them.. About raised beds, landscape fabric's, watering, soil born disease's when watering is incorrect.. lot's of stuff...

Lettuce's are very easy to grow...can be grown in sucession... *in stages* and if you have alot of sun/heat, they can be grown in the shade in the afternoon sun.
There's tons of varieties to grow, my personal fav's are Romaine, Leaf lettuce *red and green*
and Black Seeded Simpson...*another leaf lettuce*
Very easy to grow...
I would kind of like to grow a Mesclun Mix this year..I'll see...

As far as containers, go to restaurants and grocery stores..that would use big amounts of like BBQ sauce, Pickle buckets.....
But I went to a store called the Dollar Store and there were a bunch of really nice containers, rectangled, square, etc. shapes, for $5.oo.....
I did have to drill holes in all of them though..

I planted peppers in the long rectangled ones,
worked great... only 3 plants to a container...

I did some hot jalapeno's in an old swimming pool my kids cracked, put in some top soil, compost, and peat moss....

My entire garden is raised beds...
works great, no bending..
But I did alot of the tomatoes in buckets for her on her patio *we also live side by side*......
The patio gets a bit hot so you have to watch the heat. But I put them on wheels *for a $1.oo at the dollar store*...

And strawberries are great container plants.
I have a ton of them..

But start out slow, read alot, read some more, and re~read it again!!!! That's how you learn..

But keep on posting, we're all glad to get a first time gardener "addicted to digging in the dirt"

Weezie

#122875 January 23rd, 2005 at 02:29 AM
P
OP Offline
P
We can't plant in the ground because we are renters. I am getting some mixed feedback so I wanna clarify something.. Someone said something about planting in 'square' containers.. and an old swimming pool. Is that Safe? Can I plant in just any 'ole thing? Because others are saying look for 'food grade' plastic.. Because I found laundry baskets for $1 at the dollar store.. and I can screw wheels on those jokers and be set.. as long as they are safe.

I have all these herbs (Rx) that my holistic doctor is giving me. The biggest thing is avoiding soda and processed foods (HARD)

#122876 January 23rd, 2005 at 02:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
actually, the advice isn't conflicting but rather complementary... and the answer, is yes, you can plant in any old thing... and laundry baskets are good, if you poke holes in the bottom for drainage... i am going to use a couple of old plastic hampers this year for potatoes...

but... if you are really, really, worried about leaching of toxins... (not that i think you will have a problem, in fact, i am sure you won't) then you can get food grade buckets free if you do a little homework.

basically, as long as the soil you use is safe, and you don't use porous material for your container, you are in good shape. the only exception to that is treated lumber because the chemicals they use to treat the wood can and will leach into the soil and be absorbed by the food crops.

#122877 January 23rd, 2005 at 03:03 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
And we tell people "Food Grade Buckets"
because we don't want anyone using old
paint pails or caulking compound or plaster for dry wall buckets from construction sites....

They don't think of the stuff in it before
leaching into the plastic... even though they
may very well had cleaned it out good, the
stuff is into/or permeated the plastic..

And or ask your doctor about it...
He may be able to steer you towards some medical info on it... Duh idea

Weezie

#122878 January 24th, 2005 at 02:42 AM
PlayingDirt, thanks for that answer. I was wondering if I was killing myself planting in the ground.

I've grown tomatoes in buckets before and they produced a bunch. I grew them in big, white buckets that my husband had. I didn't think of stuff being in the plastic. Hopefully it was safe. I'm with you on this. So much of what we ingest is unhealthy, fumes, preservatives and such. Can't be too careful.

#122879 January 26th, 2005 at 05:27 PM
We can't plant in the ground because we are renters.
+++++++++++++++++++++
Have you checked that the owners won't let you plant a vege patch in the ground PD? If you point out that there will be less grass to mow and it will leave the soil healthy they may come around. Esp if you tell them why you need to. Or is that a waste of time?
I've seen vege gardens planted in all sorts of things. Polystyrene boxes, old swimming pools, damaged rainwater tanks, tyres (these leach cadmium apparently). One good one is the basin from inside old washing machines. Do you have a waste recycling depot in the place you live? They're always a great spot to start for lokking for second hand stuff. Anything you aren't sure of regarding it being a contaminant you could line with some plastic sheeting.

#122880 January 30th, 2005 at 01:04 AM
O
O
A friend told me that our local Dunkin Donuts sells empty jelly buckets for $2.50.

#122881 February 1st, 2005 at 04:59 PM
P
P
Hi Andria, Welcome to The Gardener's Forum.

I do my gardening in containers. It includes vegetables, flowering plants, and dwarf/semi-dwarf citruses and fruit trees.

I use mostly plastic containers, some of which are 1-5 gal. sizes, others are 13" to 17" pots. Other containers I use are clay/ceramic pots, wooden pots and half-wine barrels for larger fruit trees. If you use food grade plastics that has been used in restaurants or food facilities, you need to drill 1/2-inch to 1-inch hole for drainage. Plastics that are food grade are safe and so are plastic pots, laundry baskets, and hard side children's wading pools, purchased from garden centers.

The advantage of container gardening is it's mobility, especially if you use casters. If pots are to be placed on cemented patio, they should have saucers to catch run-off that can stain the cemented surface.

Now for vegetable gardening.

There are warm season & cool season vegetables. You are in Florida, so the growing conditions are similar to California.

I grow vegetables such as beans, cabbage, watercress, eggplants, garlic, herbs,[sweet basil, chives, coriander, mint, oregano, parsley, rosemary, tarragon, etc], leek, lettuce, okra, onion, oriental cabbage, peas, pepper, potato, radish, shallot, New Zealand spinach, Kabocha squash, tomato, tomatillo, etc. and apple, apricot, avocado, blueberry, cherry, cherimoya, citruses [calamondin, grapefruit kumquat,lemon, lime, orange, and pummelo], edible fig, Japanese loquat, peach & nectarine, pear, persimmon, pineapple guava [Fejoia], pomegranate, plum, and strawberries; and a few indoor/outdoor flowering and non-flowering plants.

The thing to remember is that, mosts plants will grow in at least 6 inches of soil. Many herbs and few vegetables will do quite well on shalllow containers. Tomato, carrot, radish and other deep rooted vegetables will need more than 6 inches of soil. Laundry baskets will do because they are about 10 inches deep. If you use laundry baskets, you would need holes at the bottom for drainage and maybe weedblocker-type of fabric to cover the slats to keep the soil in. Putting casters in the laundry basket is a good idea, just remember, the weight of soil and water may cause the bottom of the baskets to buckle.

Here is a list of cool season & warm season vegetables:

Cool season:
Artichoke, asparagus, beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, collards, water cress, endive, garlic, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, mustard greens, onions, oriental greens, parsnip, peas, potato, radish, rhubarb, roquette, rutabaga, salsify, shallots, spinach, swiss chard and turnip.

Warm season:
Amaranth, beans, chayote, chicory, collards, corn, cucumber, eggplants, most herbs, jerusalem artichoke, jicama, melon, okra, oriental melons, peanuts, peppers, pumpkin, peas, spinach, squash, sunflower, sweet potatoes, tomatillo, tomato and watermelon.

These are good for containers:

Amaranth, beans, beets, broccoli, some cabbage, carrots, collards, water cress, cucumber, eggplants, herbs, mustard greens, onions, oriental greens, peas, peppers, radish, roquette, shallots, sorrell, spinach [New Zealand], swiss chard, tomatoes

These are prolific producers:

Beans, brussels sprouts, cucumber, herbs, jerusalem artichoke, mustard green, oriental greens, peas, radish, spianch [New Zealand], sprouts, some squash, sunflower, tomatoes.

These are fast maturing:

Amaranth, water cress, most herbs, lettuce, mustard greens, onions [green], radish, roquette, spinach, sprouts, turnips.

With this list of vegetables, you could probably have a year-round supply of fresh vegetables. When planting, stagger them a week or two apart, so that you will have continued supply of vegetables.

Soil & Fertilizer:

I use store bought potting soil and fertilize the plants according to individual plant requirements. Last season I use both compost and fertizer. Do a pH test on the soil you are going to use. Most garden soil range from 4.5 [very acidic] to 9[very alkaline] before adding any fertilizer. Some plants prefer either acidic or alkaline soil. And, follow label instructions when using/applying fertilizers.

Sunlight requirements:

Some plants requires a minimum of 6 hours of sunlight either under direct sunlight or bright sunlight in protected/shaded areas.

Watering:

plants in containers are subjected to drying heat, hot temperature, and reflected heat and wind that dries the soil and therefore need more watering attention. Water early in the morning; and, depending on the outside tempeerature, you may need to water more than once a day, however, avoid watering at noon to about 3:oo p.m.

On fluoridated water:
Unfortunately, the fluoride in drinking water is not easily removed without expense. There are available methods: reverse osmosis filtration, activated aluminum defluoridation filter, distillation filtration, etc. Here's a link you can check:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/toppicks/tp/aatp102502.htm

It might be more cost effective to collect rainwater and use it to water your plants. There is a thread in this Forum on collecting rainwater and containers for collecting them...do a Forum Search for Rainwater.

Loz, Weezie and other Forum members already answered some of your gardening questions. You may also want to check "Pineapple Raye's" posts on organic gardening. He is an avid organic gardener.

Glad to have you on board...Goodluck!

T
T
Hi Andria

I've been using Earth Boxes for 4+ years now with great success. They're located in Ellington, Fl. I would start with 2 complete boxes (about $100) with veggies of ur choice. All you need is sun & water and they won't let you down. I presently have 7 boxes with hundreds of Toms & dozens of peppers. As this is my 1st post i don't know if we're allowed to link other sites so pm me for details if interested.

Link Copied to Clipboard