This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12243 December 26th, 2002 at 06:41 PM
B
Buggy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
First off, I'm new here so....Hello All!
I recieved a terrarium for Christmas but it was filled with bath products not plants. I know what to do with the bath products, but I have no idea what plants to put in. I'm sure there has to be some compatiblity but I'm cluless when it comes to house plants. I do well with them out doors, but my thumb turns black as soon as I get any indoors. Any help would really be appreciated.

#12244 January 7th, 2003 at 03:29 PM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Well, I sure know what to do with the bath stuff if you don't Buggy (giggle), oh, and hi!

To set up a garden in your new terrarium, first clean and thoroughly dry it. Put a one inch layer of gravel on the bottom.

Aeration of the soil is extremely important, especially in a closed container. The soil should be looser and grittier than for potted plants. Use a soilless mixture which has a high percentage of peatmoss, add a handfull of crushed charcoal lumps to keep the growing medium "sweet" and nontoxic.

Pour the mix through a papaer funnel, and let it settle to a depth of 3 - 4 inches. Moisten the soil. You may want to use a small funnel with a rubber tube on the end. Firm the soil. If you have a wooden spool (this works well) wedge a dowel into the hole and use this to firm the soil.

Make planting holes that are just big enough to accommodate the roots of the plant. Only slow growing plants that thrive in moist conditions can be used. Bend a piece of wire to fit the root ball. Carefully insert the plants into the holes working from the outter edge inward. Gently firm the soil before placing the next plant.

Sprinkle some water to wash off the leaves.

Choose plants lik:

*Aglaonema or Chinese evergreen
*Aluminum plant (Pilea cadierei)
*Artillery plant (Pilea microphylla)
*Baby's tears (Helxine soleirolii)
*Coleus
*Dracaena (Dracaena fragrans, D. godseffiana, D. marginata)
*Earth star (Cryptanthus bivittatus, C. zonatus zebrinus)
*Button fern (Pallaea rotundifolia)
*Holly fern (Cyrtomium falcatum)
*Maidenhair fern (Adiantum raddianum)
*Peacock plant (Calathea makoyana)
*Pellionia (Pellionia daveauana)
*Creeping Pilea (Pilea depressa)
*Prayer plant (Maranta levconeura kerchoveana)
*African Violet
*Anthurium (Anthurium scherzerianum)

Whatever plants you choose, make sure you buy very small plants.

Good luck
Barb

Link Copied to Clipboard