This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12202 May 17th, 2003 at 04:27 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I planted a new rose bush as spring started this year and it has lots of nice leaves on it now, also a couple buds. Have just noticed some tiny light green bugs under some of the leaves. At the moment they seem to be gathering at the leaves closer to the buds. Are these good bugs or bad bugs?

#12203 May 17th, 2003 at 05:57 PM
F
F
Sounds to me like they r aphids... U will quite often see ants in conjunction with aphids. The ants are "milking" them.
If u see lady bugs on your rose plants, they are probably eating the aphids. If u don't watch it aphids can "suck a plant dry".
I have some shasta daisies i've been watching in my garden. They have been invaded by aphids, but to my delight, the lady bugs are there in "full force";so, i'm not going to have to dust or spray after all!
Gardendreamer03@aol.com

#12204 May 23rd, 2003 at 12:07 PM
F
F
Those for sure are aphids, you should also see ants ( a few, not many ) around them, they are farming the aphids. The ants take care of the aphids and in turn the aphids when stroked by the ants give off a milky juice that the ant use for food. If you do not have many ladybugs around to help get rid of the aphids, you can use a spray bottle filled with some dish soap and water, about what you would use to wash dishs. Using a hard stream, just spray directly at the aphids to wash them off the plants. After cleaning the plant off, take your used coffee grounds and spread them around the plants and that will ward off the ants which are bringing the aphids to your plants. Good luck on your bug!!patrol!! :rolleyes:

#12205 May 24th, 2003 at 05:24 AM
W
W
Also, plant chives around roses. Aphids don't like em!

#12206 May 24th, 2003 at 05:46 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Well, they seemed to have thinned out quite a bit. Came home from work a few days later and found some winged bug nibbling on one. Then the next day a Ladybug having dinner, and there are very few on my rose bush now. But I drink plenty of coffee so now I have a use for those grounds. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard