This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#121957 February 7th, 2004 at 04:28 AM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hey, Weezie!

I wanted to tell ya that I saw something on the news about worm composting. Maybe you saw it?

This school uses cloth napkins and metal untensils and puts their scraps into a compost pile. It is a school wide project and the woman said that the worms weren't as *icky* as they looked!!

What a great science project for the kids!

#121958 February 7th, 2004 at 04:33 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
cool thumbup thumbup

Weezie

#121959 February 7th, 2004 at 06:08 AM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Oops! Sorry! It was a school that was doing the composting. They were trying to avoid waste in all areas of the school, so they used cloth napkins and silverware instead of throw aways.

They also had pigs that they fed some of the leftovers to.

I thought it was pretty cool...and the school saved 7thousand dollars composting the garbage and using the cloth napkins, etc.

#121960 February 7th, 2004 at 07:34 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Hmmmmm....have to wash the dishes....water, gas, electricity, dishsoap, time $$$$ ....and what happens to the poor pig???? Duh

#121961 February 7th, 2004 at 04:41 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Karen,
They also trained him to use the
cloth napkins and silverware
when eating the leftovers!!!!! laugh laugh laugh wink shocked

I'm sorry, just couldn't resist!!!!

Weezie

#121962 February 7th, 2004 at 04:58 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Karen,
Although I see exactly your point,
alot of what composting stands for is that
the object of composting is recycling
and that the world is not a throw away world.

A little tiny bit of time *yeah, tell that to
my sink of dishes* but to wash a reuseable
plate, silverware and napkins,
we're reusing items again and again instead of
making new stuff, and throwing it away
and filling dumps with endless items.........
Eventually where will all our waste go,
that does NOT decompose???
Those dumps get pretty high!!!

So, there for it teaches kids to try and
respect what CAN BE reused, and reuse it!!!!

And even if it only connects with a few children,
that helps the future soooooooooo much..........

Does that make sense in a recycled way???????

I wish alot more things were recycled honestly....
I can remember my parents telling me a few things from the war time, where panty hose was something sort of treasured, and you hand washed and really took care of them, because you AIN"T going to the store to buy another pair like we can today, or even the tubes of toothpaste were returned I believe,... if you didn't return it you didnt' get a new one....

I wish something could worked like that, I know alot of single mom's, or double working parents, etc., are rolling their eyes :rolleyes:
(*Don't I got enough work to do, I know!!!)
But for the wellfare of the
ONE AND ONLY PLANET WE GOT.....

Weezie
(*Compost Fanatic*) wavey flw

#121963 February 7th, 2004 at 11:02 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Don't get me wrong....I recycle everything....and I do compost...and layer compost and dig trench and compost!!!! When water (at least in my area) is being shipped in and the price is soooo high it kinda makes you think which way is more beneficial on some of the recycling..... I agree the landfills are totally being overwhelmed and if people would just shred and make mulch/compost from there plant materials that would reduce the landfills considerably. There are some places using the gas to power nearby schools etc....but they need to figure out more ways to make use of the TRASH remains. People think these electric cars are better for the environment...when in actuality they are producing different pollutants.

The society is wrong in general for making products that are disposable. We live in a technical society now and things are just moving soooo fast! Used to be able to get appliances that would last for years now they break and are replaceable for cheaper than it would be to get them fixed. And all the packaging everything is in....OMG!!!!

From my understanding the paper which is being made now is from specific wood farms and not from other countries....the wood from other countries...is being used for mainly lumber. New homes etc. Does anyone have more information.

Remember that some of these organizations like to expand the truth and play on our sympathy for money.....Don't get me wrong there are org. that do tell the truth....just keep in mind you need to read from several sources than trusting just one source!!!

We the customers need to buckle down and demand something more for our hard earned money! We all control the supply and demand!

Think before you buy.....IS IT A NECESSITY???? !!!!

Sorry for the rambling of thoughts....

Link Copied to Clipboard