This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12195 December 3rd, 2002 at 09:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have finally purchased a house, but it only has pine trees around it. I want to plant something that will allow grass to grow around it and will grow reasonable fast. Any ideas/suggestions?? Thanks in advance!
Jiffy :p

#12196 December 3rd, 2002 at 07:56 PM
A
A
October Glory Maples are really lovely, have incredible blazing red fall color and grow very fast. Autumn Blaze is another nice one.

trees in the willow family grow extremely fast, but only offer light shade.

As far as grass growing under a shade tree, I would recommend using a sod that is shade tolerant, like Z52 zoysia or fescue seed if you must have grass. An easier more shade tolerant choice would be using a nice evergreen ground cover like dwarf mondo, ivy, pachysandra or ajuga.

#12197 January 4th, 2003 at 03:15 PM
D
D
I live in zone 9 -- Look up London Plane to see if it will grow there. I planted a tiny fellow a few years ago -- now I have to rake its leaves in the fall (really grew). My hubby and I are partial, though, to the Coastal Redwood. We planted 20 of them on our property (we call it our forest) -- evergreen and very very fast growing -- no maintenance and very beautiful.

Link Copied to Clipboard