This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12135 June 6th, 2003 at 10:26 AM
Q
quilter Offline OP
OP Offline
Q
I need to move two hydrangea bushes (more like trees) that are about 15 years old. What are my chances for keeping these alive, and when can I move them? Many thanks

#12136 June 6th, 2003 at 11:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have never been able to move an established hydrangea. I just couldn't get the roots to let go! and all of my digging and prying and pulling DID NOT hurt it a bit!! I ended up selling the house after about 5 years of trying to dig it up. It was still there and still blooming. Let me know how you fare :p

#12137 June 6th, 2003 at 11:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When we bought our 2 hydrangeas this spring I was told to make sure that I plant them where I want them because they are almost impossible to move once they have matured... Good luck if you try!!!! smile

#12138 June 6th, 2003 at 12:31 PM
I just moved an 8 year old tree hydrangea TWICE this year. The original dig nearly KILLED me, then I was given a crape myrtle that i really wanted to have in the spot where I moved it, so I moved it again, apologizing to it all the while. It was hard to dig, hard to lift, hard to set back, but as it nearly killed ME, it survived as if nothing happened.
BUT
I was careful to move it while it was still dormant, in late winter before it began to grow leaves. I recommend that if you must move yours, you wait until it's dormant. BUT IT CAN BE DONE! smile

#12139 June 6th, 2003 at 04:13 PM
O
O
Hi, Quilter. I only have a few baby hydrangea's, so I can't comments specifically on them.

But, we did just move 3 juniper's, that were large with deep roots. I dug a much of the root ball as I could. For the couple of really stubborn deep deep roots, I did clip them. I filled the new hole with water, and planted them, and watered again, after I filled it with dirt.

The biggest thing I've found with any move, is to keep it well watered for a few days. I actually moved two of them in a drizzle, knowing it was going to rain for several days. They took extremely well. I think spring is a really good time, as the plant is just awakening, but not in full bloom, and the rainy season seems to help them in the move.

Link Copied to Clipboard