This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#120876 November 6th, 2005 at 11:59 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Jeff says this has been there for a few days now -I noticed it this morning when I went to look out the lobby window at the rain . . . I hope this thing isn't going to be a problem.

[Linked Image]

No - I'm not going any closer.

#120877 November 8th, 2005 at 07:40 AM
Hey, I had one of those last year, it fell apart and down over the winter. shk

[Linked Image]

#120878 November 8th, 2005 at 12:45 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, well then let's hope ours does the same thing - I don't think they're harmful at this time anyway.

If it's still there when the exterminator does his monthly we'll ask him what to do.l

#120879 November 9th, 2005 at 03:27 AM
I'd say "NO" to any chemical extermination, Carly! We need bees for the garden and they've got to live somewhere. As long as you don't mess with it I think it's cool.

#120880 November 9th, 2005 at 04:14 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah - that's what I'm thinking - they gotta' live too. So we figure if we just leave the thing alone, that'll be the best thing.

Oh - I don't think our exterminator would use chemical - I remember they came around about 4 years ago to get one off one of the balconies - as I recall they just knocked it into a bag and took it away - what they did with it, I dunno'.

Will it fall? What do we do if it does? Put it in the garbage - bury it? I don't imagine a bunch of bees will come out of it at this time of year.

#120881 November 9th, 2005 at 04:16 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Ha ha! Speaking of letting things live . . . I did something with a worm today - there was one in my shoe when I came inside - I lovingly picked it up and put it in one of the sconces where I have some juniper twigs dressing up the picnic table.

Yeah . . . you guessed it - I talked out loud to the thing. I said 'here now - you'll like this spot a lot better than my shoe'.

I thought to myself 'how obsessive do I get?'

#120882 November 9th, 2005 at 09:56 AM
Originally posted by melcon6:
I'd say "NO" to any chemical extermination, Carly! We need bees for the garden and they've got to live somewhere. As long as you don't mess with it I think it's cool.
Well I really don't believe that is a bee hive...It is a hornets nest, and they can be pretty aggressive if bothered, but they are not a problem at this time of year. There are other alternatives other then chemicals to control this situation, it will probable fall like was mentioned on its on and there will probable be nothing in it.

#120883 November 9th, 2005 at 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Carly:
I lovingly picked it up and put it in one of the sconces where I have some juniper twigs dressing up the picnic table.

you guessed it - I talked out loud to the thing. I said 'here now - you'll like this spot a lot better than my shoe'.
laugh laugh laugh
That is great Carly!!!! While working in one of my flower beds recently I found a black widow spider, I told her not to worry I was just cleaning up around her home...And then in the back of my mind I was saying, I hope I don't live to regret this LOL. laugh

#120884 November 10th, 2005 at 06:53 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, boy - don't think I'd be so friendly with the BW . . . there was a piece on the news the other night where black widows are being found in the fruit that's being imported.

#120885 November 30th, 2005 at 11:02 AM
It's a hornet's nest. This time of the year should be no problem getting it. Judging by the pictures, you would not be able to smoke it out & shoot it down. I recently seen one in an antique store, it was priced at $50. shk

I have 2 huge nests hanging in my house, 1 found by hubby when he was a teenager...40+ years ago & preserved by his mother using clear spray lacquer. The 2nd (bigger) was found by my son about 10 years ago, it too is preserved. The whole branches are still attached to it. They both hang from the ceiling in the corner of brick wall (woodheater) surrounded by antique farm tools.

Link Copied to Clipboard