This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#120760 September 12th, 2005 at 04:41 PM
OP Offline
Ok -- Just lived here shortly -- now I have ideas of what I want to do with the place, only thing, I dont know when to get things done. Heres my plan: Move roses from front area by street to side of house, move hydrangeas (sp?) down about 10 feet to better location, move canna's to other side of house, move azealeas from huge pots in front to side of house. That should do it for now. The problem, when we moved here lots of Nandina (hard to get rid of major rooting system), I have that problem in about 3 of the places. So I have to clear out 3 areas about 3' x 5' areas to set garden areas. Gotta check soil levels,etc. Am I asking too much? nutz

#120761 September 12th, 2005 at 09:32 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well the time to move the roses is the spring so you have this fall to prepare their bed no problem. Canna can be lifted in the fall kept dormant until spring and then moved so again you have plenty of time to get that bed ready. I don't have any experience with the hydrangeas so I can't help with that one.

I believe ph levels can be changed in as little as six months so it sounds like your schedule is just about perfect. If you google ph levels Mr. Bill has a great fact sheet on exactly how much of what you need to use to get the ph you need.

Enjoy your garden.

#120762 September 12th, 2005 at 09:39 PM
OP Offline
Well that gives me some breathing room. I cant wait to get things going -- just the thought of lots of flowers and different colors around this place is exciting.

Thanks for the info.

#120763 September 13th, 2005 at 11:39 PM
as far south as you are I wouldn't move anything until you at least get a frost on it or plan to water it alot

are you orginally from a different part of the south or from up north somewhere?

#120764 September 14th, 2005 at 01:24 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
FYI if your going to do any bulbs you may want to order them right now and till their beds immediately so as soon as they arrive you can pop them in the ground. That way you'll have some early spring color. I'm always starved for that first hint of color lol. I plan on doing a lot of indoor planting of seeds this winter so that I can get my early bloomers out first thing this year. The snapdragons are suppose to be able to stand going outside as early as febuary which sounds just about perfect to me.

#120765 September 14th, 2005 at 05:16 AM
OP Offline
I am a Native Texan, but my husband was in the Navy so we moved here from Norfolk VA. I have been trying to get seeds, bulbs - anything I can get my hands on lately. I too plan to start things inside and get them ready to go out when it starts getting warmer here also. Hopefully my husband will be able to get me out of the room I am going to set up so I can feed and water him to (ha, ha). Goodness, I had no idea how addicting all this gardening stuff is. IM HOOK -- and I dont want to quit!

#120766 September 14th, 2005 at 05:42 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
lol well your in good company. If you look under the seed exchange and post where you find things you like most people will send you seeds for sase. Or start a topic there explaining your situation. Our members are very friendly and you will probably get a number of hits. I've got some portulaca I can let you have they are mixed colors mostly yellows and oranges with some fushia. Just let me know. I might have some miniature yellow snapdragons that would work for you too. I have a seed exchange list with the topic heading of "TK's List" I know real original right? lol. Have a good evening.

#120767 September 15th, 2005 at 05:30 AM
OP Offline
Everyone here is great, I have been receiving great info that is soooo helpful. TK, the portulacas and snapdragons sound great, email me with your address and I can send you a sasbe. I would greatly appreciate it

#120768 September 15th, 2005 at 06:37 AM
I have nandinas too and I've just given up on getting rid of them. I cut them to the ground once in a while but I've just decided to use their beautiful, red berries at Christmas time. Do you know if your hydrangeas bloom on new or old wood? That probably makes a difference in when you move them if you want them to bloom again next season. Are you going to put the azaleas in the ground?

#120769 September 15th, 2005 at 11:35 AM
OP Offline
I have decided if there is ever a plant that you just COULD NOT kill, the award should go to the Nandina. I never knew a rooting system so invasive. I have gone as far as using an axe to get after the roots and would you believe after a couple of weeks -- here comes a little sprout just as happy as can be. I havent watered this one section and they are happy, over fertilized - STILL happy.
I dont know about the hydrangeas -- if anyone knows let me know.
Yes, I am going to move the two from the pots to the ground. They are yellow, I have the red ruffle already in the ground and they are doing pretty good, no problems. I thought with the yellow and red mixed in together would be colorful.

#120770 September 16th, 2005 at 09:35 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Here's some info from Bill's main pages
on Grow and Care for Heavenly Bamboo/Nandina domestica

#120771 September 16th, 2005 at 10:43 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the info -- I will check it out.

Malinda

Link Copied to Clipboard